Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I enable Ctrl + F11 function through BIOS?

• 20-11-2010 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm trying to reformat a Dell laptop to factory settings as per these instructions on the Dell website. However, the Crtl + F11 function doesn't work.

Does anyone know how I can enable this function in the BIOS setup? I had a look but it's not making much sense. It is a Dell Latitude D620 laptop.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

It's naught to do with the BIOS.

The Ctrl+F11 depends on Dell having installed a system restore partition on the hard drive, and that this partition still being in place.
    Factory setup in this case is usually...
    (Dell Boot + utility partition) (Windows XP C: drive) (Dell Sys Restore partition)
    If XP is still running for you, then you can check these 3 partitions for this under...
    Control Panel\Administrative tools\Computer management\Storage\Disk management\

The first is typically the active partition (check back here before changing it though)

I've a D620 also but I didn't have the restore partition installed by Dell when bought. I received restore CDs instead.
    Do you see a blue bar on a black screen appearing on the top of the screen, between the BIOS messages and the XP startup screen?
    That's the point at which you hit Ctrl + F11, on machines with this setup.

If not you'll need to use a Dell XP install CD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Lostinspace

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I checked the Control Panel and there seemed to be only one partition (Basic). There didn't seem to be any restore partition. I also didn't see any blue bar between the BIOS messages and the XP startup screen.

I guess I'll contact Dell on Monday for the Restore CDs. Do you know if Restore CDs are specific to a computer or would they be general to all Dell computers? I have a Dell PC as well. Could I use those restore CDs for the laptop? Probably not I'm thinking...

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Possibly. Depending on how old the restore CDs for the Dell desktop are.

The D620 has a SATA hard drive. Some older restore CDs won't support this. In this case you would have to use either a USB 3.5" floppy drive and hit "the F6 to install drivers" while installing XP;
    or use a program called nLite to create a modified XP install CD which incorporates the SATA drivers, burn the modified ISO image to a CDR and install from that.

Nice way to spend a Saturday figuring it out for the first time.

Advertisement