Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MHRV in conservatory

Options
  • 20-11-2010 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

I'm currently in the process of quoting for MHRV and was wondering would I need to ask for a drop in my conservatory? Should it be an extract to get the most out of any warmth in the air there? The floor area is 10.92m2 and it is glass to floor level.

Any info/advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

I'm assuming that by conservatory you mean a room with a transparent roof and glass walls which is seperated from the main house by a door.

Conservatories tend to be like fridges in the wintertime so I wouldn't include it in the mhrv design as extracting very cold air from it will severely compromise the efficiency of the whole system when you need it to work best (depths of winter). To get the most of the solar gain (when available) simply opening the door into the main house should work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

MicktheMan wrote: »
    I'm assuming that by conservatory you mean a room with a transparent roof and glass walls which is seperated from the main house by a door.

Conservatories tend to be like fridges in the wintertime so I wouldn't include it in the mhrv design as extracting very cold air from it will severely compromise the efficiency of the whole system when you need it to work best (depths of winter). To get the most of the solar gain (when available) simply opening the door into the main house should work well.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is glass roof and walls. The only reason I asked is that we had a temp of 17.5c in there yesterday whilst it was only 10 in the house (which has no roof insulation yet). I was thinking we could put that heat to use. I suppose that was a fluke and I'm guessing it'll be much colder in there on overcast days.

I have no experience of conservatories before, never lived in a house that had one, so I don't know how cold it'll get!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Gulliver wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is glass roof and walls. The only reason I asked is that we had a temp of 17.5c in there yesterday whilst it was only 10 in the house (which has no roof insulation yet). I was thinking we could put that heat to use. I suppose that was a fluke and I'm guessing it'll be much colder in there on overcast days.

I have no experience of conservatories before, never lived in a house that had one, so I don't know how cold it'll get!

It can get very cold especially on the dull days. Because you are surrounded by glass which will be significantly colder than the ambient air, they are also not very comfortable to sit in even if the thermometer reads 20C. Reason is the radiation effect of the cold glass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

During the upcoming cold spell, take the conservatory temperature in the morning.
    I expect this will confirm Mick's statement regarding it being like a fridge.

Advertisement