Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Cable for broadband??

Options
  • 20-11-2010 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Just for a wireless router. Cat5? Cat 5e? or cat6??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

What are you trying to extend? Is it an adsl modem or a cable modem? or the Ethernet ports?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

Not sure think it's a perlico one (domestic). A friend was asking me, I thought cat5 or 5e but he said he's been told cat6. Was just wondering as he's doing the job himself and will be using the point for a telephone as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If i understand you correctly, it's an adsl modem and you want to extend the phone line?

You'll need a twisted pair cable. A dsl signal is quite noise immune and will run over most twisted pair cable. Using cat 6 would be complete over kill.

You only need one twisted pair, doesnt have to be high quality, any sort of twisted pair telephone cable will do. If you have some cat 5 use one pair out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. The problem he has is his modem is connected to his telephone point, he said it's wired in twisted cable (prob bell wire) but when his phone rings his broadband disconnects (his wife needs it working, as she works from home) So he wants to run a new cable himself direct from his incoming phone line to a socket dedicated for his modem. I haven't seen the job as we live over 200 miles apart!!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

eircom do a adsl splitter that fits directly onto the existing master jb. it has line in and a designated terminal for all other extensions. to obtain the broadband feed to the modem you simply bring a spare pair to the exterior of the jb and crimp an rj11 plug and plug it into the jack marked by a computer symbol,the other end of this pair should terminate in a separate point for dsl only, standard surface rg11 will do.
    there is a second jack on the front for a normal house phone. this will solve your problem and you can do away with the inline adsl filters at each phone. on the standard etu you simly take off the small front plate and retro fit this larger plate with the screws supplied.

• Advertisement
Advertisement