Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games on the college computers?

• 20-11-2010 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how people are able to play games (Counterstrike, AoE I & II) on the college computers considering that students don't have the Admin Rights required to install them?

I'm racking my brain as to how it can be done, but so far every thing I've tried hasn't worked. Any ideas people?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I was on the top floor of the library sitting beside someone playing CS one day, asked him how he was doing it and said they somehow do it through a usb key...that's all the info I've got on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

I was on the top floor of the library sitting beside someone playing CS one day, asked him how he was doing it and said they somehow do it through a usb key...that's all the info I've got on that.
    Yeah, that seems to be the key to it.

However, I've tried a few things including creating a bootable USB (basically a key with its own Operating System) on it but had no luck.

Currently trying a portable version of one of the games which only requires the CD and the portable files on USB to use. No admin rights are needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Install the game or your pc and drag the dir. into your usb key :). If you require cd well use no cd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Just drag the files on to a usb key and your away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

buy a laptop and keep the machine free for someone who has actual college work to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭JayMul

You can run them locally from a USB-key or temporarily install them on the machine & then they will be uninstalled when you log off for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭Diaell

They are portable versions of the games, can run with out being installed.

Diaell wrote: »
    They are portable versions of the games, can run with out being installed.
    That's what I figured.

Obviously if you're going to install a game on a machine you need admin rights, as the game needs permission to make changes to the system registry.

Digby, I wouldn't take up a library computer on someone. I only use the games at quiet times when there's no demand for computers (ie: after 3 o'clock)

Have it cracked now.

Sadly due to the college proxy, I can't access the ports to play online but we can use the college network to host a local game comprising people in the college.

The particular game is open source, portable and free to download. It runs from a USB key and has no negative affects on the computers. PM me if you want a link to download it and details of how to connect to the server which will be named "IT CARLOW". Obviously I don't want to mention it on a public forum lest those pesky network technicians try to frustrate my efforts at amusement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Guess: Warsow

• Advertisement

Guess: Warsow
    I knew I'd attract guessers. Nope. Haven't tried that one yet

ILA wrote: »
    Sadly due to the college proxy, I can't access the ports to play online but we can use the college network to host a local game comprising people in the college.

There's quite a few guys who play an FPS called Urban Terror (link) on their breaks from class, if you download it and run it off a USB key you might find people to play with. Also there's a Computer game society on Wednesday evenings 5:00pm in lab 211.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Nolaner

We always used to play Urban Terror during classes! haha Then they took it off the computers :(

You can run it directly off a USB stick, install it on the PC and then copy the folder on to the USB stick.

Advertisement