Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download 2011

Options
  • 20-11-2010 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭

Due to take place at Donington Park June 10-June 12th

Let the discussion begin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Lots of rumours bout headliners in, and apparently all 3 will have signed up by Wednesday. 2 of them already have too. Main rumours are MCR, SOAD, Ozzy, Van Halen with a bit leaning towards Rush, Foo Fighters, Iron Maiden. Shall find out first bands by end of month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Apparently Andy Copping has said he's looking at 3 headliners who haven't headlined before, interesting.

1 name that's being thrown around in a lot of circles is a DLR fronted Van Halen, that'd be the Classic rock day sorted

But now SOAD look to be back in the frame i can see them doing another day, even though they've headlined before.

If the line up's pretty ropey this year i can see me just flying into East Midlands on teh morning of the day i'm interested in then getting the first flight back out in the morning. Arriving at East Midlands for 9am, then leaving on the 06:35 flgiht the next morning, crashing at the airport is only 40euro return

So crap for me, cos I wanna go for the whole thing. Well, that or Sonisphere. But my tent is like 15kg, and then if I include air-bed (need some comfort), it adds ridiculous amount to flight prices. So what I intend to do is the Sail-Rail method to get there:D

Undercard has some potential though. Look at hellfest, it includes Opeth, Anathema, Pain of Salvation, Masters of Reality, Melvins, Karma To Burn. WOuld love to see those at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

The Melvins would be lovely, maybe a bit o' Kyuss Lives, Down... I can't think of all who's touring, but those are the best off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Mushy wrote: »
    Lots of rumours bout headliners in, and apparently all 3 will have signed up by Wednesday. 2 of them already have too. Main rumours are MCR, SOAD, Ozzy, Van Halen with a bit leaning towards Rush, Foo Fighters, Iron Maiden. Shall find out first bands by end of month.

You lads on the download forums aswell? :)

Reastically it's very unlikely maiden will be headlining as they played sonisphere last year and have a full uk tour this year, including 2 nights at the 02 london.

I'm not 100% sure but i heard Foo fighters are Isle of White festival exclusives?

Rush would be a poor booking considering there touring the uk 2 weeks before the festival, probably more suited towards high voltage aswell. Also a festival booker will understand that people will say "why go see them at download, there playing for 3 1/2 hours on their own tour"

Hopefully we still get early bird tickets with the announcement being before christamas this year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

I've heard a lot of positive things about the Download festival but I don't know.. Each time I go to a festival I'm getting more and more sick of it all. I enjoy the bands but I start hating camping.

I've heard a lot of positive things about the Download festival but I don't know.. Each time I go to a festival I'm getting more and more sick of it all. I enjoy the bands but I start hating camping.

If you have lots of money i'v heard good things about download's rip campig, but you'll have to be quick it always sells fast. Also I know about 5 guys i think last year who rented a campervan at midlands airport which is like 2 miles from donnington castle. Again though, a little dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

:D Ooooooh! sounds savage to me! Been planning to go the past 2 years but cash funds didnt work out but think i may have to plan for this anyway. Once Ozzy is still playing!

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    :D Ooooooh! sounds savage to me! Been planning to go the past 2 years but cash funds didnt work out but think i may have to plan for this anyway. Once Ozzy is still playing!

Apparently somebody asked AC are the two booked headliners ozzy and soad, am i warm? To which he replied "get out of the fridge"

I still think Ozzy is a possibility though. In fact i think they both are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Meh. Bit of a lukewarm list there. Nothing really worth travelling to the UK to see (bar maybe SOAD I suppose). Annoying really. Last year was great but I couldnt go for financial reasons. This year I was all set to go, but there isnt even one band that jumps off the list as a "must see"

• Advertisement

You lads on the download forums aswell? :)

Reastically it's very unlikely maiden will be headlining as they played sonisphere last year and have a full uk tour this year, including 2 nights at the 02 london.

I'm not 100% sure but i heard Foo fighters are Isle of White festival exclusives?

Rush would be a poor booking considering there touring the uk 2 weeks before the festival, probably more suited towards high voltage aswell. Also a festival booker will understand that people will say "why go see them at download, there playing for 3 1/2 hours on their own tour"

Hopefully we still get early bird tickets with the announcement being before christamas this year :)

Signed up very recently:)

Yeah lot of the names I mentioned are unlikely, although can see Ozzy doing it. Wonder where Soundgarden will end up.

Think the first announcement is before end of this month:)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭hellyeah

have to say for anyone thinking of going would defo recommend it.
    was there this year for the first time and had a blast.
    although we chickened out on the camping and booked a hotel instead.
    if you book early you can get a decent hotel in derby for very little dosh.
    was glad of the hotel on sunday night after the rain and all.:)

plus if your lucky you can play spot the rockstar at breakfast.:cool:
    couple of the guys from bfmv were staying at ours.
    have to say im not really a fan but they were very down to earth guys/very approachable and up for a chat.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Was planning on going this year but it was the same weekend as Paul Mc Cartney . If the line up is decent ill either go Download or IOW since both are on the same weekend

Announcement Monday, tickets on sale friday 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Cool, didn't think it'd be that early.

Would like to see Ozzy and System of a Down on the lineup as I haven't seen either of them live before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

What kind of price would we be talking about for tickets?

What kind of price would we be talking about for tickets?

£180 5 days camping?
    £170 3 days
    £145 arena only.

Then everything up by £10 after crimbo?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i was there last year and it was great outside 5-6 hours of rain and freezing cold we experienced on the sunday, i cannot see anyone topping the atmosphere and sheer lunacy that was ratm on the saturday night though

for those that don't want to camp cities like derby and nottingham are short bus rides away and buses run throughout the night from the airport, we stayed in the premier inn in nottingham city centre for the duration of the festival, £35 a night for a twin room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Been to a few festivals and download is the best iv ever been to. Probably make the trip again next summer, 5 day camping is the way to go. Get all the drinking done before the bands start, mosh off the hangover :D

System of a Down and Avenged Sevenfold first bands announced. Strong start anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Are avenged sevenfold headlining? Only see them if mike portnoy is playing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Looks more like they'll be just before soad or another headliner but hasn't been confirmed by the looks of it.

Not a SOAD or A7X fan at all really so todays announcement is poor for me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

They're not that big, surely

Apparently Avenged are headlining, but haven't been confirmed, their name appeared on the Download Facebook at 8am and was then removed. So there has been no conformation of this.

I stand corrected, it has now been added to Download 2011 page

I will be happier when Van Halen with David Lee Roth is announced
    scudzilla wrote: »

Judging by T Shirts and people I spoke too in Newcastle when they played here with Stone Sour, this tour has been completely sold out solely because of Avenged Sevenfold fans. Not to say Stone Sour and Hellyeah didn't attract an audience, but in comparison to AX7, it was clear who people wanted to see. In fact, AX7 may have had the most profitable UK tour of 2010 and they could have certainly sold those Stone Sour dates three times over per venue at least.

poster-main.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

No not headlining. System of a Down headline the Saturday.
    In the Avenged Sevenfold announcement it says 'May be big enough to headline someday'.(or something similar)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭YipYipU

scudzilla wrote: »

No they're not!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Well pleased with System Of A Down. Avenged Sevenfold could headline the second stage??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea id say A7X will either play second from top of Main or headline 2nd stage. Thinking about heading over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Avenged Sevenfold, saw them play with metallica last year in dublin, horrible, if they are headlining i doubt i will be making the trip

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement