Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this be difficult to do?

Options
  • 20-11-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi,

I have done a little bit of work with Flash before. For example, motion tweening, etc... I have been asked to do something similar to this for a directory, where you can move around the screen and select what category you want.

Would this be difficult to do in Adobe Flash? If anyone could point me in the right direction of some online resources that would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mike_Eile wrote: »
    Hi,

I have done a little bit of work with Flash before. For example, motion tweening, etc... I have been asked to do something similar to this for a directory, where you can move around the screen and select what category you want.

Would this be difficult to do in Adobe Flash? If anyone could point me in the right direction of some online resources that would be great.

Thanks

Do yourself and your client a favour, do not use Flash for this type of functionality. Flash is great for animations, games, streaming and a few other things, but rarely for regular website functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Mike_Eile

I understand. However I have spoke to the client on a number of occasions and this is a function that they want to have on the website. I don't think there is much room for argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I understand. However I have spoke to the client on a number of occasions and this is a function that they want to have on the website. I don't think there is much room for argument.

Then they don't have a clue what a website is supposed to entail.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That is a seriously annoying website. I wouldn't browse to that site unless I absolutely had to.

As their designer, it's your responsibility to explain why this is a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

As all the previous people said, don't use Flash!
    There are a number of reasons why a website should not be made with flash.

Just Google why flash should be avoided. For little banners, or games or animations it's good, but not as an entire website.

• Advertisement

I appreciate your responses. I wouldn't be designing the entire website in Flash. It would just be one element on the homepage, as the site is designed using Joomla.

The website is here. Obviously it's not live yet. What the client wants is to remove the latest news slider on the main page and move that to the right hand side. Instead of the latest news slider, they are requiring something in the lines of that directory flash file as per my previous post.

Still a bad idea yeah? I have a directory on the right hand side and also a dedicated directory page.

Also, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. There is still a bit of work to do but I'm getting there.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

The sample website you posted is blank in Ubuntu/Chrome.

As many have pointed out Flash is bad in this situation. You are opening yourself up to a world of pain - wait for the moment the client tries view your work in <insert_obscure_browser_platform_here> and can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I've been sitting here for a few minutes waiting for that demo page to open. I'm on a pretty fast connection too.

Nobody will do that. I'm only doing so that I can see how bad the directory is.

Your client will lose users.

Hi Aidan_walsh and fcrossen. I presume the "demo page" and the "sample website" you are both referring to is the original Working Abroad website (with the flash directory) that I posted and not the Glanmire Business Directory website link that I am working on?

Thanks for your feedback. I will try and convey this to the client again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

How does it work? Are there meetings? Is it just a website directory? What are the reasons and advantages for me to join? What's in it for me?

Does it cost? If it doesn't, it should be shouted out. If it does, the cost should be up front and not be buried.

All the above info is not obvious or missing.

If it does cost, the pricing/feature model will have to be right.

The reasons to join with calls to action should be in a prominent position on the homepage. These will make the site work better than pretty pictures and Flash.

I wouldn't use the windows explorer folder/directory graphics that you have.

Also tell the client that Flash doesn't work on many of the new fangled phones apart from being style over substance, generally inappropriate and blooming* irritating. (Show him this thread)

*being polite

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Hi Aidan_walsh and fcrossen. I presume the "demo page" and the "sample website" you are both referring to is the original Working Abroad website (with the flash directory) that I posted and not the Glanmire Business Directory website link that I am working on?

Thanks for your feedback. I will try and convey this to the client again.
    Sorry, yes.

tricky D wrote: »
    How does it work? Are there meetings? Is it just a website directory? What are the reasons and advantages for me to join? What's in it for me?

Does it cost? If it doesn't, it should be shouted out. If it does, the cost should be up front and not be buried.

All the above info is not obvious or missing. If it does cost, the pricing/feature model will have to be right.

Thanks for pointing that out. Yes I'm waiting for the client to do out the terms and conditions of joining, membership fees and all the benefits of joining the network. I will then have a dedicated section so each potential member knows exactly what they're getting for their membership. This will be made very clear.
    The reasons to join with calls to action should be in a prominent position on the homepage. These will make the site work better than pretty pictures and Flash.
    Yes I will have a call to action on the homepage, perhaps instead of the Welcome to the Glanmire Business Network. I am waiting for a list of the benefits before I work on the CTA.
    I wouldn't use the windows explorer folder/directory graphics that you have.
    This is a plugin for Joomla called Sobi2. Basically, you have the option to have a separate icon for each directory and subdirectory. However, as you can see there are a lot of entries under the Trades People directory, so that would be a lot of work for the administrator. I'll keep them all the same but I will change the image perhaps. I'll have a look on www.iconfinder.com to see if I can see anything appropriate.
    Also tell the client that Flash doesn't work on many of the new fangled phones apart from being style over substance, generally inappropriate and blooming* irritating. (Show him this thread)
    I will do. Thanks for your feedback.

*being polite

Advertisement