Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone help me connect an access point to a UPC modem

• 20-11-2010 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi All,

I am badly looking for help. I am trying to connect an Cisco Aironet 1200 AP to my UPC modem so I can create a wifi connection, except it just won't work for me.
    I am using this guide to try and do it but to no success:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_10b_JA/configuration/guide/scg12410b-chap4-first.html#wp1103336

Heres what I done so far:
    1. Reset ap to default. I then connect to it via hyperterminal and give it an IP address in the same network as my wireless card. This allows me to connect to the GUI interface.

2. I try setting the AP to use dhcp, which it does seem to do as it gets a new ip address and I lose connection to the GUI interface...fine.

3. Now the problem is how do I connect my PC to the ap to use the internet. I think I'm missing something fundamental. When I try to connect it does authenticate but it just cannot get an ip address at all...

I would worship the ground of anyone who could help me out here. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Can the AP give out IP addresses? What IP is it getting? The UPC modem does give out IPs, can you set a DHCP passthrough on the AP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'm assuming you're using the old Scientific Atlanta single port UPC modem (the 2203 rather than the EPC2425)?

if this is the case, then you just shouldn't be connecting any wireless AP directly to your modem at all without a router between them.

wireless AP's are designed to provide wireless access onto a private LAN, but if you just have the 2203 you don't even have a private LAN, all you have is a direct connection to the internet via the modem.

the cisco aironet 1200 is designed for enterprise use, not home use. aside from anything else, it's several times the price of most home routers. you could get a decent wireless broadband router to use with your modem for about €40-50 and you would have none of these problems.

if you're going to connect anything to your modem it should be a broadband router with an SPI firewall & NAT otherwise you're asking for trouble by leaving yourself wide open to online attacks.

Advertisement