Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

something in betweeny DSLR and Compact

• 20-11-2010 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Basically it's my mothers 50th and we'd like to get her something decent because i've loaned her my D90 a few times and she loves it. You know yourself lovely pictures and on full auto dead handy.

So something that will come close to the D90 on auto without all the bells and whistles. A little more compact and cheaper. say around 500 Euro.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

How about a bridge camera a little mixture of both, you'd get a very good one for under 500 quid.

Something along the lines of a Panasonic LUMIX perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Was just about to suggest a Lumix G2...don't think it'd fit in your budget though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I would suggest something a bit different.
    Look in to the new Nikon D3100.
    It's the new entry level camera from Nikon and it has a "learn as you grow" mode or she can just leave in auto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

How about a bridge camera a little mixture of both, you'd get a very good one for under 500 quid.

Something along the lines of a Panasonic LUMIX perhaps?

I'd recommend this camera - have one myself and it can do everything I want it to do - without having a bag full of lens to carry round - pretty good quality image too - nothing on a dslr now but it's still pretty high quality and much better than most compacts...

have a look into it anyways and see what you think of it yourself - but it get's a +1 from me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Thanks for the suggestions lads, the lumix looks fine but i really want something with as good image quality as possible as this is what the attraction comes down to. So a simpler version of the d90 really, the d3100 seems to fit that bill and i we should be able to stretch the budget a bit for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

D3100 looks a great little camera for the price. It has a Guide mode for beginners to walk you through setting up shots for the scene, as well as full on Auto of course. It's also tiny, might suit your Mother to have a smaller camera than the D90? It's small, but neat. Also you can borrow her your lenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

While going with another Nikon would make sense, the OP could also have a look at something like the Oly E-PL1, fits the spec and nice and compact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

nilhg wrote: »
    While going with another Nikon would make sense, the OP could also have a look at something like the Oly E-PL1, fits the spec and nice and compact.

Spot on!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus--PL1-Compact-System-Camera/dp/B0036DE108/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290285683&sr=8-1

£364.99

There is also a silver version for slightly more:

51ELiEAzf1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus--PL1-Compact-System-Camera/dp/B0036DE10I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1290285683&sr=8-2

£392.70

I can't think of one advantage to a pen, or any other micro 4/3/reto style compact over any half decent dslr, other than it's a bit smaller. D3100 every time for me between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I can't think of one advantage to a pen, or any other micro 4/3/reto style compact over any half decent dslr, other than it's a bit smaller. D3100 every time for me between the two.

I don't care what you think or what you would choose for yourself, I was addressing my suggestion to the OP.

Yes, they are a bit smaller:

PanasonicG1CanonD5.jpg

• Advertisement

There's always one ... "Buy the camera I have, because if I own it it must be great ... " yawn.

get over yourself kid, I couldn't care what OP selects, jut suggesting what would actually be best. the Oly-Pens are a joke, there are far better compacts for the price. But ... I won't sleep over it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

...But ... I won't sleep over it ;)

You won't 'loose sleep over it'? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Take a deep breath and start again on this subject

You won't 'loose sleep over it'? :P

Or lose? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

This is me asking nicely anymore responses and the red cards coming out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

OP id say a basic dslr is what you should go for. Im not up on nikon models but if the d3100 is the basic entry level one then that with a kit lens would be perfect. Plus you can always pick up a cheapish telephoto lens or accessories for future presents :)
    Do have a look at various bridge cameras as you would have the pick of the bunch with 500 quid really although if image quality as opposed to features is the priority probably best with the d3100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 eyefordetail

What about the new Sony NX5. I ordered one the other day....havent got it yet but a friend whos a professional photographer got one a few weeks ago as a "handy" camera to take with him when hes just out and about. It can be fully automatic but you can do everything manually too. Sony have a VAT back offer at the moment so the camera with one lense and a flash actually comes in at around 500 when you get the vat back

Advertisement