Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Slot Car Racing Set Up for Beginner?

Options
  • 20-11-2010 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Aul fella with a 'Scalextric' itch he wants to scratch....dont want to spend a fortune ...I see Smyths have 13 euro Mini Cooper sets but theyre battery powered and Im sure youd have ran up the same cost in batteries in an hour ....(or would you ?)Any general advice?Do 'used' sets show much 'wear and tear' ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

When it comes to "Scalextric" there's only one brand and that's Scalextric.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ronan71

Marks Models on Hawkins Street in town usually have a selection of scalextric sets, as does Argos I think. A basic non-digital set is not too expensive I think, the real expense comes when you get more involved in the hobby and start buying more cars and equipment.

There are lots of UK based sellers with good scalextric stuff on ebay as well.

Used sets can be a bit hit and miss, the connections between the track pieces can be a bit worn hence problems with stuttering cars, the current scalextric controllers are a bit fragile and the cars can be a bit worn too.

Worth getting a new basic type of set I think. The reason I say non-digital is due to the extra cost and complexity of digital. I personally find it a bit user unfriendly to set up and use and you need to buy a digital chip for every new car you buy.

Advertisement