Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite comedians

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Mozoltov! wrote: »
    A lot of people like him. I've always seen him as a family comedian and members of my family from young to old have met him and said he's a gent and is full of stories far more than what he shares on stage.

I've heard of one or two times were he'll rip the piss but he can take it just the same. To call him a prick is a bit cold. If you knew him on a personal basis, and held the opinion that he's a prick, fair enough, but for most, they'd only know him on stage. I've always found him funny, but that's just me.

ya you should meet him out in bunratty when he is being himself(in durty nellys),you'd have a differant opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

Mitch Hedburg is/was class.

I love his line on Blackjack: I'm not addicted to Blackjack, I'm just addicted to sitting in a semi-circle.

On his pants:"I'm wearing pants, but I'm wearing a belt to hold up my pants, but my pants have belt loops to hold up my belt, I don't really know who is in charge down there".

Chris Rock is brilliant when he talks about parents looking after their kids as if they should get some recognition for doing it: "I take care of my kids!... You're suppose to you dumb f**k"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

How can this thread go 7 pages without anyone mentioning Ronnie Barker !
    Between Porridge, Open All Hours, and The Two Ronnies, he's an absolute legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Millicent wrote: »
    Glenn Wool is pretty damn funny too.

ETA: You gotta love the 80s metalhead style and the flares too. :D
    Glen Wool is fcukin deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

Alan Partridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Billy Connolly, although in his latest DVD he seems to rehash a lot of old stuff. He's approaching 70, maybe the time to call it a day soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Roy Chubby Brown,Bernard Manning and Peter Kay.Met all three as well.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Jay D wrote: »
    Tiernan is one, and seeing him later :)

Wonder why you didn't get any "thanks" for that.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

George Carlin!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

Stewart Lee, Chubby Brown, Paul Foot, Tommy Cooper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

Jimmy Carr is a legend. Also Dara O Briain, Frankie Boyle, George Carlin, Tim Minchin.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

I'm kind of sick of stand up actually, I do like some of the younger comedians out there, but overall I feel that it's gotten a bit old.

Dylan Moran is definitely my favourite.

Other than that...

I could watch Bill Bailey all day.

Gotta love Richard Pryor

Ricky Gervais's stand up is better than it's given credit for imo.

Oldies, Tommy Cooper, Dave Allen, Bob Monkhouse-("I hate dogs become they come up to you and try to sniff your crotch, I especially hate small dogs because you have to bend down to let them do it":D- The best twisted logic ever).

Still have a soft spot for Billy Connolly- His impression of how men react they get a fright is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Eddie Izzard, Dylan Moran, Hugh Dennis, Omid Djalili, Russell Peters, Rowan Atkinson are a few of my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

Turtyturd wrote: »
    And.... you're like an axe raking into my drink....I guess???

I don't get the reason AH seems to have a major hard on for him....'I smoke and don't give a ****'.....heh look how that turned out for you.

Pancreatic cancer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Alan Carr
    Frankie Boyle
    Bill Bailey
    Frank Skinner
    David Badiel
    Dane Cook
    Ricky Gervais

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Tommy Cooper

Steven Wright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭George Orwell 1982

Pat Shortt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I can't believe not one person mentioned Kevin Bridges

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

A few more . . .

Les Dawson
    Peter Cook
    Spike Milligan
    Tommy Cooper
    Billy Connolly

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Alan Carr
    Frankie Boyle
    Bill Bailey
    Frank Skinner
    David Badiel
    Dane Cook
    Ricky Gervais

Dane Cook is SH*TE:

Richard Pryor, Dylan Moran, Dara O Briain, Tim Minchin, Bill Hicks, Peter Kay, Frankie Boyle, Bill Bailey and Michael Macintyre are some of my favourites!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Billy Connolly, although in his latest DVD he seems to rehash a lot of old stuff. He's approaching 70, maybe the time to call it a day soon.

Saw him three weeks ago in Chicago and he was brilliant. Two and a half hours trying to tell one story.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Javiero

Really like Bill Bailey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Des Bishop.

People either love him or hate him. I think he is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

my favourites would be:

brendan grace
    niall tobin
    tommy cooper
    les dawson
    dave allen - absolute legend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

les dawson

That piano playing...sheer class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

That piano playing...sheer class.

he was very talented on a piano as it took real skill to play out of tune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Billy Connolly
    Michael McIntyre
    Bill Bailey
    Kevin Bridges
    Dylan Moran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

he was very talented on a piano as it took real skill to play out of tune

Very true - and it was a similar situation with Tommy Cooper's magic tricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Russell Peters, George Carlin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Tim Vine, Tim Minchin, Stewart Francis

The finest of all:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Bill Bailey
    Dylan Moran
    Russell Howard
    Emo Phillips
    Frankie Boyle
    Dara O'Briain
    Michael McIntyre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Orny Adams

Jerry Seinfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Good to see Dave Allen mentioned. He was the inspiration for many Irish comedians. Dylan Moran reminds me a lot of him.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

wolfmoon87 wrote: »
    My fave is Ross Noble. Going to see him in the Olympia on tuesday :D
    ha saw him last night, brilliant...although hecklers were't the brightest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

Biffo & Harney.

Ha look what Ross noble did in Stephens Green Shopping Centre yesterday!!
    http://yfrog.com/eo88faj
    He thought the manger was scabby because of the economy hitting the **** ao he added to it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Jimmy Carr is an assh0le, saw him at the Cat Laughs and I'm sorry but if you have to stoop so low as to make jokes about handicapped people and suicide you shouldn't be doing stand up. No one in the audience found him remotely funny, loads left early. Dunno if he was testing material but it was the most horribly offensive performance I've ever seen, and I've seen Frankie Boyle.

I do love Russell Howard & Michael McIntyre :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Kettle316 wrote: »
    Dane Cook is SH*TE:

Richard Pryor, Dylan Moran, Dara O Briain, Tim Minchin, Bill Hicks, Peter Kay, Frankie Boyle, Bill Bailey and Michael Macintyre are some of my favourites!!

I knew i'd get someone commenting on Dane. Granted he's not the best but I enjoyed his show Vicious Circle, and some other shows he's done.

• Advertisement

Jimmy Carr is an assh0le, saw him at the Cat Laughs and I'm sorry but if you have to stoop so low as to make jokes about handicapped people and suicide you shouldn't be doing stand up. No one in the audience found him remotely funny, loads left early. Dunno if he was testing material but it was the most horribly offensive performance I've ever seen, and I've seen Frankie Boyle.

I do love Russell Howard & Michael McIntyre :)

You found Carr more offensive then Boyle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Richard Pryor
    George Carlin
    Harland Williams
    Norm MacDonald
    Jimmy Carr
    Frankie Boyle

Jimmy Carr and Frankie Boyle are the types of comedians who see everything as fair game which is fine to me. I would think anyone who has seen them before knows that, don't know why anyone who is easily offended would go to their shows...

You found Carr more offensive then Boyle?

Yes all 6 of us that went did, probably because we weren't expecting it to be so harsh and cruel, with Boyle you know what you are getting. A lot of people were visably distressed leaving, there was a woman in floods of tears in the loo afterwards. There are not many people untouched by either of those things so if some people (i.e. Carr) do find Down Syndrome & suicide funny and make jokes about them that doesn't sit well with me. I like to laugh at comedy, not cry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

• Steve Coogan as Alan Partridge (KMKYWAP and I'm Alan Partridge. I admit the third series was dreadful).
    • Stephen Fry and Rowan Atkinson from Blackadder.
    • Steve Carrell/Rainn Wilson/John Kracinski from The Office: an American Workplace.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Jimmy Carr and Frankie Boyle are the types of comedians who see everything as fair game which is fine to me. I would think anyone who has seen them before knows that, don't know why anyone who is easily offended would go to their shows...

At the time Jimmy Carr wasn't known for being that type of comedian (2004), he did the one liner sarcastic type jokes and I'd found him funny on the telly, in real life however it was just hurtful. I know someone will always be upset about things people say but some things are just off limits - suicide and disability should not be "fair game", trying to get a laugh out of them is just lazy and ignorant.

And he didn't get any laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

Doug Stanhope is by far the best stand up that is still going

At the time Jimmy Carr wasn't known for being that type of comedian (2004), he did the one liner sarcastic type jokes and I'd found him funny on the telly, in real life however it was just hurtful. I know someone will always be upset about things people say but some things are just off limits - suicide and disability should not be "fair game", trying to get a laugh out of them is just lazy and ignorant.

Anything is fair game for comedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Lee Mack
    Bill Bailey
    Tim Vine
    Louis CK
    Richard Pryor

I cant stand Frankie Boyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

I like Jack Dee. Cranky old bastard :)

Jimmy Carr is a prick-arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

There has been suicide in my family and someone close to me had their father commit suicide. I have a mentally disabled aunt and a physically disabled father. If you watch TV even in shows like 2 and a half men you will have inappropriate remarks about suicide. I think the jokes about disabled people is really a cheap laugh but at the same time those cheap laughs are what set Carr and Boyle apart from other comedians. Everything is fair game and that's why I like them.

If Tommy Tiernan jokes about those things it's unexpected and he's a story telling comedian so I'd find it inappropriate from him. Same with Family Guys episode about Down Syndromme it seemed miscalculated hugely.

I would have thought most of Carr standup dvds would have something about disabled people on it, I remember at least one when he wrote the letter to Stephen Hawking...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement