Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite comedians

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Noticed people putting down acting comedians so will add some of them:

Leslie Nielson
    Zach Galifinakis (Between two ferns)
    Dermort Morgan
    Llyod Bridges (Airplane and Top Gun!)
    Ryan Stiles
    Bill Murray

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Dub Ste

Des Bishop.

People either love him or hate him. I think he is brilliant.

I thought this thread was about comedians,so why is Bishop mentioned.

I know it's down to personal taste,but he is possibly the unfunniest "comedian" going,well with the exception of his even unfunnier brother.

Sorry and all that,but he's muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Monty Python. Alot of their stuff is just recycled from the television show but then there's this...

Penn & Teller. For my money the best magicians/comedians. If there is someone better at magic and comedy (other than Tommy Cooper) please, pelase tell me.

Ah what the hell...

:D

AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »
    Anything is fair game for comedy.

I agree, to a point. The PC element doesn't bother me, but I don't like Jimmy Carr. His material feels heavily scripted. He comes across as an intelligent guy but he's so smug and egocentric about it, I find him hard to watch. But the worst thing about Jimmy Carr is how he interacts with the audience. Most comedians, when they're provoked, launch into a verbal attack against the people tying to upstage them, and rightly so. But Carr seems to take greater satisfaction, not with the hecklers, but with people who either don't get the jokes or are too easily provoked. It just comes across as mean-spirited. Considering Jimmy Carr has the advantage of knowing his material inside out, and an unsuspecting audience member doesn't, it's anything but fair game. Suffice to say that self deprecation, which Carr lacks, goes a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

I agree, to a point. The PC element doesn't bother me, but I don't like Jimmy Carr. His material feels heavily scripted. He comes across as an intelligent guy but he's so smug and egocentric about it, I find him hard to watch. But the worst thing about Jimmy Carr is how he interacts with the audience. Most comedians, when they're provoked, launch into a verbal attack against the people tying to upstage them, and rightly so. But Carr seems to take greater satisfaction, not with the hecklers, but with people who either don't get the jokes or are too easily provoked. It just comes across as mean-spirited. Considering Jimmy Carr has the advantage of knowing his material inside out, and an unsuspecting audience member doesn't, it's anything but fair game. Suffice to say that self deprecation, which Carr lacks, goes a long way.

Thats what I was trying to get across, that it was so unexpected, the 3 amateurs that night got great applause and laughs, Carr opened his mouth and the place fell quiet out of shock. The quieter the audience were the more vicious he got.

I didn't realise that was a tactic he employed for writing a load of sh1te. It's been 6 yrs since I've watched anything with him in it. Its not a pc issue, its him being a d1ck issue.

• Advertisement

Thats what I was trying to get across, that it was so unexpected, the 3 amateurs that night got great applause and laughs, Carr opened his mouth and the place fell quiet out of shock. The quieter the audience were the more vicious he got.

I didn't realise that was a tactic he employed for writing a load of sh1te. It's been 6 yrs since I've watched anything with him in it. Its not a pc issue, its him being a d1ck issue.

I notice you like Russel Howard and Micheal McIntyre. Which is fine, to each their own but their acts and the likes of Jimmy Carr could hardly be further apart. Are you sure you knew what you were getting yourself in for?

I've seen all Jimmy Carrs standup DVDs and he has always been a bit of a shock comedian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

No i think you went to the wrong gig.

His material is scripted ...
    He "acts" smug and egocentric...it's an act....he is a performer...

it's an act....he is a performer...
    You're construing my words completely out of context. Actually, I juimped too quickly with that comment Ash, so my apologies.

Every comedian who goes on stage "acts". If being smug and egocentric is part of Jimmy Carr's "act", that's fine, his audience should be used to it by now. But are the people he directly offends, who don't heckle and don't get the jokes, are they also part of the act and performance? I don't believe so. For me that's were it crosses the line.

One of my favourite Carlin bits and rather timely too

Patrice O'Neal

Jim Jeffries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Wompa & Ash no I didn't know what I was letting myself in for hence my shock. He never acted like that on the telly, not that I saw anyway before the gig. I am no PC prude, I've been going to comedy gigs for years and can honestly say he was the only one I've ever seen who made me feel physically sick. He still does to this day. Stupid eyelined head on him.

Wompa & Ash no I didn't know what I was letting myself in for hence my shock. He never acted like that on the telly, not that I saw anyway before the gig. I am no PC prude, I've been going to comedy gigs for years and can honestly say he was the only one I've ever seen who made me feel physically sick. He still does to this day. Stupid eyelined head on him.

Ok but I don't think that makes him an @sshole. If you had seen him on TV it was most likely a heavily edited production. Shows like 8 out of 10 cats and Mock the Week or whatever get heavily censored.

His standup gigs when replayed on TV also get edited by the censors.

It would be like me going to a gig (which I did a few weeks ago) and not knowing the headline act and then getting p1ssed at how crap they are. It's not anyone elses fault that the music wasn't my preferred genre, I should have looked into it before I paid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

You should watch Doug Stanhope if you're looking for something a bit easier to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Big +1 on Patrice. Do you listen to opie and anthony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Dylan Moran
    Bill Bailey
    Tommy Tiernan
    Dave Chapelle
    Jeremy Hotz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Maeve higgins.

see, even I can do comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

He recently explained the difference by saying when he's on TV he feels like he has been invited into somebody's home so he acts a little bit different, but when people pay money to come and see him he presumes it's because they know what they're letting themselves in for.

Some of the jokes do cut very close to the bone, but that's what he's aiming for . I enjoy his shows anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭horseplay

imo Kat Williams never gets mentioned enough in these lists :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93jQI_6G5Cw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Dara O Briain - can talk about anything and make it seem funny.
    Jack Dee - what can I say?
    Jerry Sadowitz - saw him at Kilkenny Cat Laughs years ago where he did a comedy / magic show. Laughed so much and so hard, my belly was genuinely sore for a day or so. And the magic was amazing too.

• Advertisement

Cash smart vulgar comedians play it cool on tv and play the game, then get out on stage and let rip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I watch huge amounts of stand-up but I must say I find the taste in this thread quite poor. Throwing around names like Frankie Boyle, Russell Howard and Dane Cook with the likes of Carlin is despicable. Also that tool with the piano is also f*cking sh*t, Michael McIntyre relies on his floppy hair to make jokes, he's pathetic. Lee Evans is basically a chimp on stage being paid to run around and appeal to the lesser people of the world who like seeing a red faced man pant and make incoherent jokes. Basically the whole of Comedy Central's line-up is poor, with the sole exception of Mr.O'Briain who I concede is quite brilliant.

EDIT: Also, Jack Dee. Are you taking the f*cking piss? The chap is absolutely atrocious, and Tommy Tiernan, the douche who based a whole DVD on insulting the living sh*t out of disabled people. Bill Bailey is VERY average, Dylan Moran is slightly above average...and that's being VERY generous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Roy Chubby brown.

eez a funny bastad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

You found Carr more offensive then Boyle?

I like offensive comedy but it still needs a good delivery and a bit of smarts. I'm inclined to agree. Boyle is fantastic, Carr just isn't in the same league at all. For truely offensive comedy lisa lampanelli is like no one else, she spares no one including rape victims and orphans. Not for people easily offended.

Mitch Hedberg was incredible, funny as anything as well without a hint of filth. Gone before his time, he should have made it huge.

dafunk wrote: »
    Boyle is fantastic
    I haven't seen Frankie Boyle before, but I'll check him out to see if I have the same issues with him as I have with Jimmy Carr.

Just watched Frankie Bolye's 'If I could Reach Out Through Your TV and Strangle You I Would'...

What a hugely pretentious title. This man is sick. Ban this filth NOW! Awful :mad:

...wait, actually, haven't laughed that hard in quite some time. It was brilliant. :D He does the exact same thing to the audience that Jimmy Carr does, but I think Boyle gets away with it so much better. People genuinely seem to enjoy being mocked by Boyle, but it doesn't feel remotely malicious, just everyone having a laugh. I’ll give Jimmy Carr a look again tomorrow night to see if my opinion is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

For a good laugh you should check out comedy central roast od bob sagat/Hugh Hefner some very good stuff there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

I watch huge amounts of stand-up but I must say I find the taste in this thread quite poor. Throwing around names like Frankie Boyle, Russell Howard and Dane Cook with the likes of Carlin is despicable. Also that tool with the piano is also f*cking sh*t, Michael McIntyre relies on his floppy hair to make jokes, he's pathetic. Lee Evans is basically a chimp on stage being paid to run around and appeal to the lesser people of the world who like seeing a red faced man pant and make incoherent jokes. Basically the whole of Comedy Central's line-up is poor, with the sole exception of Mr.O'Briain who I concede is quite brilliant.

EDIT: Also, Jack Dee. Are you taking the f*cking piss? The chap is absolutely atrocious, and Tommy Tiernan, the douche who based a whole DVD on insulting the living sh*t out of disabled people. Bill Bailey is VERY average, Dylan Moran is slightly above average...and that's being VERY generous.

You're looking for the "Least Favourite Comedians" thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Dub Ste wrote: »
    I thought this thread was about comedians,so why is Bishop mentioned.

I think he's just being funny.
    Ba dum tish.

• Advertisement

A bit OTT!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Please enlighten us on what comidians we should be watch so.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

zuroph wrote: »
    Maeve higgins.
    see, even I can do comedy.

Its a pity she can't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

George Carlin, Russell Peters, Bill Hicks, some of Seinfeld's stuff is pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurum

At the time Jimmy Carr wasn't known for being that type of comedian (2004), he did the one liner sarcastic type jokes and I'd found him funny on the telly, in real life however it was just hurtful. I know someone will always be upset about things people say but some things are just off limits - suicide and disability should not be "fair game", trying to get a laugh out of them is just lazy and ignorant.

And he didn't get any laughs.

I understand your point but I disagree. What one takes offense at is such a personal thing. While you took offense a his jokes about disability and suicide, others might find them funny or innocuous. They, however, might take offense at jokes about religion, or perhaps they would consider sexist jokes to be off limits. If a comedian is going to base their routine on mocking particular people or groups of people it's unfair to single out certain topics as off limits. I suppose the best approach to take is the one taken by the creators of South Park, that if one thing is open to ridicule, everything else must be too. It's an all-or-nothing approach that most stand-ups like Carr follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Lee Mack in Vicar Street earlier this year was excellent, as was Frankie Boyle. Haven't seen Jimmy Carr in years, simply because I always seem to be out of the country when he's around.

Hard to top Bill Hicks in his prime though.......I love this clip in particular as I loike work in Morketing:

Frankie Boyle - love the Queer Eye joke:

like this too:

And Lee Mack, esp. like the Drinking and Driving bit and the ads:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

George Carlin, Russell Peters, Bill Hicks, some of Seinfeld's stuff is pretty good too.

It's a matter of taste, your opinion isn't better than anyone elses.
    I, for example, don't like Bill Hicks. He strikes me as too preachy, and rarely actually funny. He was a good public speaker and got his point across, but his prechyness and his "I'm right about everything" attitude just annoyed me.
    George Carlin I like. He's like a funny, less annoying Bill Hicks.

I'll agree with you about Lee Evans being crap though.
    I used to love Bill Bailey but some of his stuff gets a bit samey, and he's gone downhill since Part Troll.
    Absolutely love Dara O'Briain and Dylan Moran though.

Sofaspud wrote: »
    It's a matter of taste, your opinion isn't better than anyone elses.

What an odd thing to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

It was more in relation to this post by the same chap:

Sofaspud wrote: »
    It was more in relation to this post by the same chap:

Ah, fair enough.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement