Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wormey query

Options
  • 20-11-2010 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I'm in the process of making a worm bin. I have searched the net and can't find a definitive answer to this question-Can I put meat scraps in it or not?
    Some say yes but no bones /some say no meat at all.
    All say limited citrus /oily /spicy food but am confused as to the addition of meat.
    Anyone have any experience of wormeries who can advise please
    Tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I've had a wormery for a couple years. I don't add meat, onions,citrus skins or bones. All I add is vegetable scraps, egg shells/boxes and paper. Paper is only added when you see the worms on the side of wormery, this means the mixture is too wet. I've now have thousands of tiger worms:D

P.S its getting cold, maybe you should wait till Springtime and give them the best possible chance. Or, put the wormery in the shed.

Best of luck, its great feed for the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 RhodeIslandRed

I don't think you should put any meat or dairy products in. It would be very smelly as the meat rots. Also it would attract rodents if you have it outside. There is a composter called a PIG that you can put meat into but it is metal and totally enclosed so that rats cannot get in to it.

Advertisement