Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Practicals

• 20-11-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

How's everyone doing with them? What instrument(s), or set-up are you going for? And do you have your 6/8 pieces ready?

Personally, I'm playing 6 on my Tenor Sax, being accompanied on piano. I have 5 of them picked, I think.
    1. Die Forelle - Schubert (Classical)
    2. Morning Mood - Grieg (Classical)
    3. Lough Erin Shore (Trad.)
    4. Hungarian Dance No. 5 - Brahms (Classical, but could be World)
    5. Swan Lake - Tchaikovsky (Classical)

I've got a gap now with the 6th piece. I REALLY don't want to do The Entertainer, or Take Five. I was looking at this (need Scorch for Sibelius) piece, which is like epically cool and not hard at all.

What about everyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

What about doing something more contemporary/modern? I'm playing the tenor sax too and I'm working on a coldplay medley for one of my pieces. Nothing too complicated but it's something I'm actually going to enjoy working on. Something modern would also round off your set nicely if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Drums.. Will be played to 6 backing tracks..
    Still debating whether to go acoustic or electric..
    Still debating order too..

• Dani California (Red Hot Chili Peppers) - Alternative Rock
    • Are You Gonna Be My Girl (Jet) - Hard Rock
    • Prison Song (System of A Down) - Nu Metal
    • Atomic Boogie (Random off the Internet) - Funk
    • Twistin' (Random off the internet) - Latin
    • Journey to the centre to the blues (Random off the internet) - Jazz
    The Jazz track is probably gonna be switched out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Why are you guys not doing Music Tech ? Much easier than having to do another two full pieces.

Piano choice of
    I will follow you into the dark - Death Cab For Cutie
    Hoppipolla - Sigur Rós
    Breakeven Piano Meledy - The Script
    Mr Brightside with Classical Introduction - The Killers
    Scherzo - Grade 5 piece i did a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    What about doing something more contemporary/modern? I'm playing the tenor sax too and I'm working on a coldplay medley for one of my pieces. Nothing too complicated but it's something I'm actually going to enjoy working on. Something modern would also round off your set nicely if you ask me!

I am actually considering buying a Tenor Sax. Glee songbook I saw on McCollough Piggot's yesterday! And there was one for Twilight/New Moon, but meh..

And we don't do it as we are told not to, plus neither my old teacher who retired last month, and my new teacher consider it "real music". I have no opinion either way, but for me the less I have to know off the better like.

Our music teacher tells us to play modern stuff if we can. As long as it's popular. If the examiner knows it and starts tapping their foot to it you can't go wrong. I know two girls who did it last year, both on alto sax. One girl (who was much better) did very technical, classical pieces. The other girl did more modern and simple pieces yet they both got pretty much the same grade in the practical. (our teacher listens at the other side of the door and can usually tell within a couple of marks what you got).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Why are you guys not doing Music Tech ? Much easier than having to do another two full pieces.
    Doing music outside school.. Don't have the facility to do it..

Does anyone know when the practical actually is?

Dont know an exact date but it's early this year. Ferbruary I'm almost sure. It's normally after the break but it's before it this year.

Advertisement