Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for WoW

Options
  • 20-11-2010 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Hey guys!
    Im just wondering are there any good decent priced laptops (450-600) around that would run WoW
    I have an awesome desktop rig atm but its at home and i wont be there for a few months ;)

I was Looking in harvey Normals xD today And i found The samsung e452
    for only 489 euros. but the downside is its only Intel HD Graphics (theyd do tho.. Would they? was thinkin more of a Nvidia GPU tho :P ) and 2gb Ram :P

Or The Acer 5553 Amd Phenom 2 quad core N930 and the ATI Radeon 4250 ( i know its meh ) for 599 in the argos catalog ;)

Is there any other good laptops that will run wow in medium?

im Also thinking about a macbook pro but i wont have enough money until the week of christmas :P

so
    Is there any other good laptops that will run wow in medium?
    and where can i get em?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,472 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I would not get either an intel or Nvidia chipest, one is completely underpowered for games and the other has still left a scar - I no longer have any confidence in Nvidia's abilities of manufacturing or quality control to produce an effective laptop GPU, and I no longer give my business to that company.

Macbook Pro's are great for college and multimedia editing and such but not cost effective for gaming.

The Argos one sounds like it could work but go to the graphics form and ask solitaire about the chipset, he's knowledgable about such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

I have a Dell Vostro 1510 with a nvidia 8400M and it runs WoW fine (that said it did suffer the GPU failure but Dell actually had someone out the next day to fix it for me and its been fine since)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

maybe the Asus 1215N

its actually a 12 inch netbook

but v portable and 6 hour battery

Ion graphics and dual core atom proc - games better than most similarily priced laptops, but would prob still slow down for bigger raids.

Otherwise keep an eye out for refurb or second hand gaming laptop - anything with integrated graphics will just suck regardless of processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

I just got an Asus K501N from the laptop shop. They did it for 450. Has an Nvidia GEFORCE G102M graphics card with 512MB dedicated and an Intel Dual Core chip. Runs WoW really well and has a host of other functions. Just getting to ggrips with it now but it seems great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

i always liked ATI very much but i must say that when compared with NVidia, the cards are bit behind

my gaming machine is a mac - the main reason is because i hate windows very very very much - i run only linux/unix in my compatible pcs (which i don't have any at the moment) and osx on my laptops and desktop

before this turns into another mac vs. pc discussion, if you could afford the 15'' macbook pro i would go for it - you'd be limited on games but you would have a machine for much longer than any other pc, not to mention the reliability

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

i always liked ATI very much but i must say that when compared with NVidia, the cards are bit behind

my gaming machine is a mac - the main reason is because i hate windows very very very much - i run only linux/unix in my compatible pcs (which i don't have any at the moment) and osx on my laptops and desktop

before this turns into another mac vs. pc discussion, if you could afford the 15'' macbook pro i would go for it - you'd be limited on games but you would have a machine for much longer than any other pc, not to mention the reliability
    That Macbooks are more reliable is a complete myth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

some people drive mercedes... the ones who can't afford them, drive corsas... quality has a price and i think thaerrrr... sorry, wrong topic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Hi and sorry to resurrect this thread but I'm hoping someone may be able to help me on this ... I don't do any gaming but my son recently bought a Sony Vaio VPCEE3Z0E for college work and to play WoW while away.

http://www.sony.ie/product/vn-e-series/vpcee3z0e-bq/tab/environmentalfeatures#pageType=TechnicalSpecs

It seems seriously enough spec'd for a lappy but he experiences serious lag while playing WoW even at low graphics settings. It's running Windows 7 64 bit so I'm vague as to whether it's just down to optimization or whether the graphics card is never going to be any use or what. The guy in the local Sony store assured us the lappy would be well up for the job but so far it's not.

Many thanks for taking time to consider this and any help or pointers to resources will be very much appreciated. Thanks.
    Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

old gregg wrote: »
    Hi and sorry to resurrect this thread but I'm hoping someone may be able to help me on this ... I don't do any gaming but my son recently bought a Sony Vaio VPCEE3Z0E for college work and to play WoW while away.

http://www.sony.ie/product/vn-e-series/vpcee3z0e-bq/tab/environmentalfeatures#pageType=TechnicalSpecs

It seems seriously enough spec'd for a lappy but he experiences serious lag while playing WoW even at low graphics settings. It's running Windows 7 64 bit so I'm vague as to whether it's just down to optimization or whether the graphics card is never going to be any use or what. The guy in the local Sony store assured us the lappy would be well up for the job but so far it's not.

Many thanks for taking time to consider this and any help or pointers to resources will be very much appreciated. Thanks.
    Michael

I've got a pretty similar laptop to yours (VPCEB1Z1E). My guess is that you might be trying to play it in your screen's native resolution and that's probably pushing your GPU too hard. Have you tried downgrading to a lower resolution to see if that helps? To the best of my knowledge, that GPU *should* be able to run wow, at least at low settings and resolution. Also, wow can be CPU intensive at times, so it helps to stop any other programs that are running when you're playing.

many thanks for that. I'll ask him later but I do know he's playing in the default screen resolution cos I asked him about that. I know absolutely nothing about gaming but have reasonable PC knowledge outside of that.
    I'd be pretty certain he's not running other apps at the same time.
    I'll check and report back. Many thanks again.

• Advertisement

a quick update .... so he dropped down the screen res and no real difference. I'd have figured WoW would not be that hard a load on a 2 month old computer with decent specs, clean win7 install and nothing else running on a fast broadband connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭F00t13f4n

What addons is he running in WoW? Has he "Run out of date addons" enabled? I did for a while on my desktop and it reduced my fps from high 60's to low teens.

Even on my desktop PC I have shadows turned all the way down. They absolutely kill my fps, and with them down I can turn up some of the other graphics.

Is the lag in the game, with the laptop or on the broadband connection? I'd check the Technical Support section of the official forums *shudder* and see if anyone else has had a similar issue. I seem to remember I had to change port settings on my router at some stage, but can't remember exactly why.

Good luck!

many thanks for this F00t13f4n, I've emailed on your comments to him .... this would be so much more productive were he dealing with this himself but you know the way sometimes when you're too close to a problem you can't see the wood for the trees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Just saw a machine that im contemplating buying on the Dell Outlet store, and was wondering what people think. Not trying to hijack the original poster's thread....

Dell 1749
    i3-330
    4Gb Ram
    Radeon 5650
    500Gb 7200 rpm HDD

I will be connecting this to an external 24" monitor when at home. Seems to be reasonable enough at 650€

Any suggestions?

Advertisement