Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your favourite/least favourite thing about dublin?

Options
  • 20-11-2010 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

My favourite thing is the number of good bars and clubs, my least favourite being the D4 accent

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Summer in Dublin is top class. With a good weekend of weather the whole town is in good humour & theres just a great buzz about the place.

My least favourite thing is the collosal greed that has taken over the city since the year 2000.
    Taxis cost a fortune. Food & drink is way over priced. For a town with so much history & tourist attractions we certainly know how to rip off our visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Favourite thing: the coastline
    Least favourite thing: the massive volume of scumbags, junkies, drunks and skangers

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭gabria

Favourite things: Trinity College holds good university memories and is a wonderful oasis of calm in the bustling centre.
    Honest working Dubliners are some of the friendliest people in the world (admitting this as a country lad)

Least favourite things: City is very grey and moody atmosphere prevails between the new year and paddys day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭montane

I have a serious love-hate relationship with this city.

My favourite thing is the diversity of stuff to do on any night of the week. I only realise this when I go outside of Dublin, and look for a night out on Wednesday, only to find that all the local niteclubs are not open, and pubs close early.

Least favourite thing is probably the same as any city, namely the extra expense of living here, having to deal with rush hour traffic etc.

Overall I think its a pretty cool place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Hayzooz

Friday afternoon in The Duke.

Doesn't get much better than that.

Even if it the whole city is incredibly over-priced.

Shame Wetherspoons weren't let in....they would have changed everything in Dublin.....cheap food, cheap drink....would have been amazing, but unfortunately the publicans and the politicians in Dublin are one and the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Food & drink is way over priced. For a town with so much history & tourist attractions we certainly know how to rip off our visitors.

?? Have you been out in Dublin recently? You will not get better value anywhere else in the country.

One of the things I love about the city lately is the cheap food and drink, early birds in top noch places for 20 Euro, other places doing amazing deals along with a bottle of wine. The all you can eat 7 Euro deals around town for lunches are great too. The ethnic restaurants are cracking value too, ok, they aren't exactly luxurious, but some of them are an experience! Another thing is the free history and tourist attractions that you just don't get in other European capitals. Wondering around Dublin cities galleries and museums for nothing before dinner is a treat.

I love the bay and the fact that it's accessible from the city, sailing, canoeing, rowing etc.. all can be done for little or no money. The proximity to Wicklow is a huge benefit too, you can be hillwalking in stunning settings forty minutes away from the city center.

The wildlife is a big plus too, wildlife sanctuary's dotted around the city along with a large amount of parkland in the city supports a lot of rare nature.

One thing that bugs me is breakfast in Dublin (and a lot of Irish towns). We just don't take breakfast seriously, there isn't really a breakfast cafe culture, between 7 and 9 in the morning. I would like if there was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

John_Rambo wrote: »
    ?? Have you been out in Dublin recently? You will not get better value anywhere else in the country.

One of the things I love about the city lately is the cheap food and drink, early birds in top noch places for 20 Euro, other places doing amazing deals along with a bottle of wine. The all you can eat 7 Euro deals around town for lunches are great too. The ethnic restaurants are cracking value too, ok, they aren't exactly luxurious, but some of them are an experience! Another thing is the free history and tourist attractions that you just don't get in other European capitals. Wondering around Dublin cities galleries and museums for nothing before dinner is a treat.

I love the bay and the fact that it's accessible from the city, sailing, canoeing, rowing etc.. all can be done for little or no money. The proximity to Wicklow is a huge benefit too, you can be hillwalking in stunning settings forty minutes away from the city center.

The wildlife is a big plus too, wildlife sanctuary's dotted around the city along with a large amount of parkland in the city supports a lot of rare nature

One thing that bugs me is breakfast in Dublin (and a lot of Irish towns). We just don't take breakfast seriously, there isn't really a breakfast cafe culture, between 7 and 9 in the morning. I would like if there was.

Plenty of tourist attractions are free/cheap I totally agree, however hotels, food & drink are still way overpriced in the areas that tourists are directed to. Theres no need for it. Its just greed.

Plenty of tourist attractions are free/cheap I totally agree, however hotels, food & drink are still way overpriced in the areas that tourists are directed to. Theres no need for it. Its just greed.
    Chunky, I really don't know where you are getting this info, but it's nonsense and sounds like pub crap talk I hear all over the country about the capital. Dublin is one of the best value city destinations on the world. The hotels in Ireland are the cheapest in Europe and the hotels in Dublin are the cheapest in Ireland, the hostels are almost for nothing. Food and drink, and I mean good food can be got very very cheap in Dublin.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/irish-hotel-prices-among-cheapest-in-europe-473406.html#ixzz15vvU4Ab6

EDIT... Chunky, I see from your other posts you may have been abroad. Sorry for being a bit harsh...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Rds1989 wrote: »
    My favourite thing is the number of good bars and clubs,

Number of good pubs, lack of good clubs though.

Can't pinpoint a favourite thing tbh, but least favourite is how Dublin people aren't as friendly anymore, remember few years ago you'd know everyone on your road by their first name, have a chat with the aul wans in the morning going to school these days I don't know half the people on my roads name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Hayzooz wrote: »
    Shame Wetherspoons weren't let in....they would have changed everything in Dublin.....cheap food, cheap drink....would have been amazing

I'd agree that Weatherspoons serve cheap drink, and a good selection of Ales, but they serve it up in soulless drinking emporiums. And the food is cheap, but unfortunately cannot be eaten.

I love having the hills/mountains so close to the city, on a summer day it's great to be able to head up there, and look over the city. I think eating out in Dublin is good value as well, the amount of great early bird menus, and places like Green Nineteen are as good value as I've seen in Western Europe.

I don't like many of the buildings in Dublin, Liberty Hall, Hawkins House, ESB HO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

hate the fact a pint is 1euro or 1.50 dearer in dublin than anywhere else in the country, everywhere else its 4euro a pint, nearly ever pub in dublin is 5 euro or 5.50.

like putting my headphones in and pulling my hood up and strolling through the city on my own in the drizzling rain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Lumpy in Poolbeg

I live in the Coolock direction and have been living here all my life....

I love the fact that Dublin only has 1.6 million people (or thereabouts) and still has the same buzz as london, manchester or madrid. its not too big and overcrowded nor too small that its forgotton about. Everything you need is in the city and it's suburbs, the vast majority of people you will meet are nice, down to earth individuals that have a sense of humour.

I hate scum that roam the streets and give Dublin its bad name, Traffic is bad but seems to be getting a slight bit better (especially after that slip road to blanch off the m50), we home the worst government to ever exist on the face of the earth, as for overpricing? its not all bad, i've seen worse.

Overall not a bad place ay? my fair city :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

flas wrote: »
    hate the fact a pint is 1euro or 1.50 dearer in dublin than anywhere else in the country, everywhere else its 4euro a pint, nearly ever pub in dublin is 5 euro or 5.50.

Loads of good pubs in Dublin have pints for less than 5 euro.

flas wrote: »
    nearly ever pub in dublin is 5 euro or 5.50

Sorry, but that's bullshyte.

A friend was in a butchers on Talbot st. She asked the butcher (who is a bit deaf) what type of duck was she buying. The butcher says "six o clock missus!" to which the other butcher fall about the place laughing.

His fellow butchers tell him exactly what she asked and he says "Stephens green duck"... The butchers and the line of people and my friend were all falling about the place laughing, this starts a conversations amongst all the people in the line and the butchers about what type of duck it is, lots of joking and smart arse comments.

All strangers, classic Dublin stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SparkyTech

Favorite thing: Walking along the pier in Dun Laoighre/the sea at Malahide/ by the towers in Poolbeg. We have alot of beautiful coastline right on our doorstep and it costs nothing to bring along a picnic, or a good book and wile away a few hours!

Last favorite: Public transport and the lack of a decent rail/underground service for a capital city.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

I hate the little tashes the scumbags in dublin put on the top of their lips

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Favourite thing: the way its on the doorstep of nature - mountains, sea, rivers, canals (not 100% natural of course ;)), parks etc.

Least favourite thing: the congestion and lack of public transport accessibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Lumpy in Poolbeg

SparkyTech wrote: »
    Favorite thing: Walking along by the towers in Poolbeg.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Favourite Thing: Everything, I just love the place from the lovely nature to wandering through town to the buzz in the place when there's a big match on or just a sunny day.

Least Favourite: The traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Favourite: The friendliness of strangers, if you actually break the mould and engage with them. The other night I offered the end of a bag of chips (which I wasn't going to finish) to a random couple on the street, and instead of ignoring me like would happen in a lot of cities, they were really grateful and we had a proper chat!

Least favourite: The fact that there's a disproportionally small counter-culture in Dublin than in most European capitals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement