Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andrew Maxwell - I don't get it ..

• 20-11-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I was getting ready for work the other morning and I caught an ad for Andrew Maxwells latest dvd on the radio. Anyways it had a sound bite of him saying as follows: 'An orang utang escaped from Dublin zoo .. the zoo keeper said .. "HE'S BEEN PLANNING IT FOR YEARS!!!" - cue hysterical laughter from the audience. Can anyone on boards explain to me how exactly this is meant to be funny? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Condescending know it all pseudo intellectual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Is that the guy with the ten years too young for him haircut and unlit pipe? The fella who likes to make an issue of the fact that he is a protestant?
    Not funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

You mean you don't get it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 menapian

All I know is I won't be buying his dvd if that joke is representative of the general quality. And while I'm here can I just say that Jason Byrne is equally, if not more, .. eh .. not funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

You don't need to find Jason byrne funny- he finds himself absolutely hysterical.! Got Andrew maxwell DVD a couple if years ago and hated it, also Neil delamere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The joke lies in the implied rather than the obvious. The idea that an orangutang had been planning to escape for years like some prisoner biding his time and hatching dasterdly plans is suposed to be preposturous and is thus mocking the zookeepers attempt to humanise the ape.

Also, he shouted the punchline very loudly, which is often a lazy subsitute for actual comedy in Ireland <_<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Also, he shouted the punchline very loudly, which is often a lazy subsitute for actual comedy in Ireland <_<

Many moons ago Tommy Tiernan used to tell really funny jokes. Then one day he realised that he could just shout quasi-offensive nonsense REALLY LOUDLY and get the same amount of laughs because his audience are all pissed of their faces drunk anyway. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Galvasean wrote: »
    Many moons ago Tommy Tiernan used to tell really funny jokes. Then one day he realised that he could just shout quasi-offensive nonsense REALLY LOUDLY and get the same amount of laughs because his audience are all pissed of their faces drunk anyway. :(

Perfect Summation of what TT has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 menapian

The joke lies in the implied rather than the obvious. The idea that an orangutang had been planning to escape for years like some prisoner biding his time and hatching dasterdly plans is suposed to be preposturous and is thus mocking the zookeepers attempt to humanise the ape.

Ok. So perhaps if I think of the Shawshank Redemption and re-imagine Andy as an ape or orang utang then I am moving in the right direction. I see what he's trying to do now. Impressive ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

He's a dreadful man. In addition to having dreadful material, he always seems to be completely off his face when he's on stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Seriously??

I saw him live last year and thought he was epic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Have to agree.
    I don't mind Jason Byrne occasionally on the tv in a sort of OTT funny way but wouldn't cross the road to go see him.

As for those other two - chancers of the highest order.

You don't need to find Jason byrne funny- he finds himself absolutely hysterical.! Got Andrew maxwell DVD a couple if years ago and hated it, also Neil delamere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

hes rubbish and his name brings shame to andrews everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

A deeply unfunny man. Actually he is like a brother-in-law who thinks they are the craic and make you dread Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Has anyone ever been at a recording of the panel?

That audience must be absolutely wrecked drunk. I just don't know how they laugh at that stuff. How narrow is their frame of reference? It mystifies me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

He's the funniest man I ever met, saw him in bray during the world cup, was watching the match in the pub beforehand, the volume was down and I could hear someone behind me substituting the commentary. Turned out to be him and he was absolutely hilarious. Funnily enough his actual stand up show was a real disappointment. I guess he's just fantastic at improv but not so good at actually writing jokes.

Henno30 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been at a recording of the panel?

That audience must be absolutely wrecked drunk. I just don't know how they laugh at that stuff. How narrow is their frame of reference? It mystifies me.

Been three times in the last five years, and it's been a great show each time. Amazingly fun stuff imo.

Maybe they/we laugh cause, shock and horror, they have a different taste in comedy than you?

Been three times in the last five years, and it's been a great show each time. Amazingly fun stuff imo.

Maybe they/we laugh cause, shock and horror, they have a different taste in comedy than you?

Worse taste you mean? Yeah probably.

The latest series with Craig Doyle is one of the worst things I've ever seen on television ever. Just unbelievably bad. There's an element of subjectivity in all art, but there is also stuff which is just fcuking terrible, and the panel is definitely, definitely that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Well said. None of these people are remotely amusing. Add to the list Des Bishop and Ed Byrne.
    The real talents in Irish comedy either fled to Britain a long time ago, or else are demonised for being genuinely risky with their comedy (Tiernan, McSavage.)

Well said. None of these people are remotely amusing. Add to the list Des Bishop and Ed Byrne.
    The real talents in Irish comedy either fled to Britain a long time ago, or else are demonised for being genuinely risky with their comedy (Tiernan, McSavage.)

Is McSavage a good stand up though? I've never seen anything to suggest he is. The Savage Eye is excellent, brilliantly observed and well executed, but it's a separate matter to being a great stand up.

As for Tommy Tiernan, he seemed to me to be in serious decline a long time ago, and I love edgy comedy.

You're right about the comedians being in the UK though. I don't think it's a question of fleeing, even for a talented comedian it should be a matter of necessity. The most gifted comics have to tour the length and breadth of the UK both building their profile and simply making a living, so there simply isn't a big enough audience for a professional comedian on the make over here.

So in short, the stuff we get on telly here (like the panel) tends to be second rate comedy given the profile of first rate stuff. And maybe that's just making the problem worse. Certainly, the self-satisfied musings of many of the regulars would suggest so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Is McSavage a good stand up though? I've never seen anything to suggest he is. The Savage Eye is excellent, brilliantly observed and well executed, but it's a separate matter to being a great stand up.

I think he is, but I know he's not to all tastes. He has a clear self-destruct button which has done him no favours over the years - drinking, turning on audiences, etc.
    But he's clearly talented as a stand-up - he can ad-lib, think on his feet, is brave with subject matter, can do a good musical turn, etc.
    As for Tommy Tiernan, he seemed to me to be in serious decline a long time ago, and I love edgy comedy.

Agree. Tiernan has clearly declined for some time, sadly. But even diminished, he remains better than most of what's in the country.
    You're right about the comedians being in the UK though. I don't think it's a question of fleeing, even for a talented comedian it should be a matter of necessity. The most gifted comics have to tour the length and breadth of the UK both building their profile and simply making a living, so there simply isn't a big enough audience for a professional comedian on the make over here.

So in short, the stuff we get on telly here (like the panel) tends to be second rate comedy given the profile of first rate stuff. And maybe that's just making the problem worse. Certainly, the self-satisfied musings of many of the regulars would suggest so.

Agree entirely.

Worse taste you mean? Yeah probably.

The latest series with Craig Doyle is one of the worst things I've ever seen on television ever. Just unbelievably bad. There's an element of subjectivity in all art, but there is also stuff which is just fcuking terrible, and the panel is definitely, definitely that.

Cause everyone with a different taste in comedy than you obviously has inferior tastes :rolleyes:

Craig Doyle is not the worst thing on TV ever. Jesus, that's hyperbole at it's finest. hell, look back to McWilliams last year who had no clue how to host a comedy panel show. THAT was bad. Likewise, there was some god-awful guest hosts. Doyle is no O'Briain but he's not half as bad as you are making out. He serves his purpose as presenter and intermediary pretty damn well.

Is The Panel the greatest piece of comedy TV ever made? No. Of course not. But it's hardly the level of terribleness you seem to be implying. As you said, it's all subjective, and if you don't like a show, there's a simple solution; don't watch it. But there are plenty of people who do like it. So grow up and accept people have different opinions and tastes than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

Andrew Maxwell i dont rate him at all the Pipe in the mouth ....... and then he pushes the JOKE for ages.......... and what really pisses me off is that semi posh butler voice/quasimodo with the back hunched and the squinted eye,,,, and then he does it again about every 10 mins after trying to resurect a joke that never existed:confused:

Cause everyone with a different taste in comedy than you obviously has inferior tastes :rolleyes:

Craig Doyle is not the worst thing on TV ever. Jesus, that's hyperbole at it's finest. hell, look back to McWilliams last year who had no clue how to host a comedy panel show. THAT was bad. Likewise, there was some god-awful guest hosts. Doyle is no O'Briain but he's not half as bad as you are making out. He serves his purpose as presenter and intermediary pretty damn well.

Is The Panel the greatest piece of comedy TV ever made? No. Of course not. But it's hardly the level of terribleness you seem to be implying. As you said, it's all subjective, and if you don't like a show, there's a simple solution; don't watch it. But there are plenty of people who do like it. So grow up and accept people have different opinions and tastes than you.

It goes without saying that people have different tastes to mine in a whole range of issues.

It is also true that some things are objectively sh*t

The panel is one of these things.

Andrew Maxwell i dont rate him at all the Pipe in the mouth ....... and then he pushes the JOKE for ages.......... and what really pisses me off is that semi posh butler voice/quasimodo with the back hunched and the squinted eye,,,, and then he does it again about every 10 mins after trying to resurect a joke that never existed:confused:

The pipe seemed to be his only new material for the new series of the panel. One of them grew a beard as well, Delamere was it?

They are over-exposed given their respective bodies of work. And my god it shows.

It goes without saying that people have different tastes to mine in a whole range of issues.

It is also true that some things are objectively sh*t

The panel is one of these things.

Just cause YOU think it's bad doesn't mean it actually is. As I said, I quite enjoy the show, have been to recordings a few times and always watch the show, usually laughing and with a big smile on my face. I, thus, am the living proof that it is not objectively **** but actually subjectively ****. You have your opinion on the show but it is just that...

I can't stand Jason Byrne, Des Bishop and a string of other Irish comedians, but that's my opinion and it's obviously not shared by many. I think they are useless but that doesn't make it true in anyone's eyes other than my own.

Just cause YOU think it's bad doesn't mean it actually is. As I said, I quite enjoy the show, have been to recordings a few times and always watch the show, usually laughing and with a big smile on my face. I, thus, am the living proof that it is not objectively **** but actually subjectively ****. You have your opinion on the show but it is just that...

I can't stand Jason Byrne, Des Bishop and a string of other Irish comedians, but that's my opinion and it's obviously not shared by many. I think they are useless but that doesn't make it true in anyone's eyes other than my own.

You're selecting one of several interpretations of an event.

There are many works of art, universally lauded by experts in the relevant field as masterpieces, unsurpassed in their sophistication and craftsmanship which are utterly meaningless to me.

Their artistic value is lost on me as I have neither the sufficient grounding in the mechanics of the medium, nor the acquired appreciation of the relevant form and content to actually assess the work on anything resembling a competent basis.

This is not a reflection on the piece. It is a reflection on me.

Comedy is a craft and an art form. There are standards.

Advertisement