Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinn Fein or Fianna Fail

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

Well, FF since the 'Charlie Era' at least were always a greedy, power-hungry, but a well organised shower of idiotic fools.

If they were in the Mafia they would be known as the 'Gombono Family'.

On the other hand SF have always been the political wing of the Provisional IRA.

Personally, I'd prefer the idiotic FF'ers in power here than a crowd of murderers like SF/IRA.

Its this way of thinking that has contributed to the current mess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    So your voting for FF.Good man. Theyve done nothing wrong. Good man.

Wrong.

I'm voting for Doherty as I clearly stated, but that was lost on your tarring.

I know many a Shinner, good guys. Never would I let them near Justice or law and order in this state.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Its this way of thinking that has contributed to the current mess

Really?

If you look thru my posting history you'll see very fast that I hate FF & SF.

I just hate SF a bit more than FF.

You think you know how I think?

Really?:rolleyes:

Ireland's full of fools, of one persuasion or another.

Unfortunately our past seems to have caught up with us now & I take no pleasure in saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

squod wrote: »
    Pretty sure they both backed the blanket bailout. So, neither thanks.

Was this a joke or am I just too old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Dostoevsky wrote: »

Was thinking that myself alright, but most of the IRA apolagsts on this thread seem to be too young to get it..

Dostoevsky wrote: »

They did back the state guarantee.

Obviously they didn't have a clue of the consequences, but yep, they backed the full state guarantee, bondholders and all.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I think both parties have good eggs and bad eggs; unfortunately it's the bad ones who seem the most prolific.

The idealistic teenager inside me would probably love to see SF in government. And it would certainly be interesting, if nothing else, to see how they'd get on.

But if it was solely a choice between those two, I'd probably have to plump for FF and hope they somehow cop on and don't make the same mistakes again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

no "Robert Mugabe" option ? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

K-9 wrote: »
    I'll vote Pearse Doherty in the bye election and GE, no problem. Capable candidate who'll add to the Dail.

Once it comes anywhere near seeing SF as a majority Govt. party, Nope, I'd vote FF first.

After everything FF have done, I'd still not put SF as the main Govt. party.

Why?

Fianna Fail was once Sinn Fein...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

During the troubles there was a serious explosion in Sandymount that demolished a block of apartments at Raglan House. It was obvious that it was caused by a Gas explosion however Dublin Gas would not admit it.

The joke at the time was "Whats the difference between Dublin Gas and the IRA? ....... At least the Provo's would admit it. :p

Now in 2010 our state has imploded and Fianna Fail won't admit it.

At least I could see Sinn Fein being up front about this problem if they were in power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Very good!

Well, at least I said who I voted for, which, I felt was in the spirit of things.

You, just emerged from the long grass took a cheap shot & basked in the glory of thanks from your fellow travellers.

Good on ya mate.:rolleyes:

Before you went FF, you probably had a sense of humour too....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gippychippy

We are down the toilet
    Dartz wrote: »
    I'd rather have Brian Lenihan running the country...

Brian Cowen... less so.

Though, I'd rather Adolf Hitler before Sinn Féin. Sin Féin will send the whole country down the toilet. Hitler will only send a small minority.

policarp wrote: »
    Why?

Fianna Fail was once Sinn Fein...

Nearly 100 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

ascanbe wrote: »
    Brian Lenihan has, essentially, been running the country for the last two years, or so; and the disasterous decisions he's taken make Bertie Ahern and Brian Cowen look like benign visionaries.

I don't think it's fair to blame Lenihan for the mess. Ahern as Taoiseach and Cowen as his minister for finance have to take the lion's share of the blame. Things had already been going down the shítter by the time Lenihan got the job. He was left with a big mess to clear up, and to be fair I don't know if anyone else could have done any better with the job. Not saying he's brilliant or anything, but he's definitely among the best in the FF front bench (not that that says much when you look at some of the others!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I don't think it's fair to blame Lenihan for the mess. Ahern as Taoiseach and Cowen as his minister for finance have to take the lion's share of the blame. Things had already been going down the shítter by the time Lenihan got the job. He was left with a big mess to clear up, and to be fair I don't know if anyone else could have done any better with the job. Not saying he's brilliant or anything, but he's definitely among the best in the FF front bench (not that that says much when you look at some of the others!)

Being the best of a bad lot doesn't make him good, his bank guarantee was an epic failure which directly led us to this IMF/EU bailout. Do you really want to defend that? His time as Finance minister has been a litany of incompetence.

• Advertisement

Being the best of a bad lot doesn't make him good, his bank guarantee was an epic failure which directly led us to this IMF/EU bailout. Do you really want to defend that? His time as Finance minister has been a litany of incompetence.

True, don't think Labour's idea of Nationalisation would have worked much better though.

Not sure on FG's good/bad banks proposals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dartz wrote: »
    I'd rather have Brian Lenihan Comical Ali running the country...

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

The original guarantee was not a failure. They had a very limited timeframe to make a decision and took one that secured the immediate stability of Irish banks. Afterwards mistakes were made.

Anyway, the bigger mistakes were made in the 1998-2008 period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Could Sinn Fein really acquire the majority?

I see afew 'underdog' parties gaining support rapidly but could any one of them get into power without resorting to a coalition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

The original guarantee was not a failure. They had a very limited timeframe to make a decision and took one that secured the immediate stability of Irish banks. Afterwards mistakes were made.

Anyway, the bigger mistakes were made in the 1998-2008 period.

I can understand the reasoning that the original bank guarantee was necessary - though I cannot fathom the reasoning for the Anglo bailout.

What I find truly astonishing is that no-one seems to have had any idea how much it was going to cost.......

Noreen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Sinn Féin are an absolute joke. I would leave Ireland if they ever got into government. Ignoring the obvious links with terrorism, if you take the time to read their idiotic policies it should be pretty obvious that a kitten with a ball of wool would make better political and economic decisions.

+ 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

Pity that idealism didnt stretch to recognising that 30 years of IRA violence achieved nothing but death and misery.

I always laugh at posts like these - they come up all the time and all they do is highlight the naivete of the poster who really probably has never set foot up north or had no interest/idea of what was happening to Irish people up north over the last few decades. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

At least Sinn Féin have ideals. Fianna Fáil have nothing going for them at all. They're sell-outs, that is all.

and remember when ye are all crying your eyes out because Ireland has been sold to the highest bidder, that it was Sinn Fein that was begging the Irish people to cop on and not sign their sovereignty away - whilst the democracy of Fianna Fail was screaming at us that "we would keep voting until we came back with the right answer". And this is the result.

And remember those of you who are nagging on about SF and blah blah, ask youself the question - who provided them with arms in the first place?? If SF came into power I hope they would make every man woman and child do a test on their Irish history, to make sure everyone knew their history, instead of selling out to the anyone that wants to buy us while having the ignorence of some people defending them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

and remember when ye are all crying your eyes out because Ireland has been sold to the highest bidder, that it was Sinn Fein that was begging the Irish people to cop on and not sign their sovereignty away - whilst the democracy of Fianna Fail was screaming at us that "we would keep voting until we came back with the right answer". And this is the result.

And remember those of you who are nagging on about SF and blah blah, ask youself the question - who provided them with arms in the first place?? If SF came into power I hope they would make every man woman and child do a test on their Irish history, to make sure everyone knew their history, instead of selling out to the anyone that wants to buy us.

I remember my history very well. Sinn Fein were the crowd going around blowing up innocent people. While trying to destroy the peaceful democrats of the SDLP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Put it this way; I'd rather be pickpocketed in peace than violently mugged down a dark alley.

Buceph wrote: »
    I remember my history very well. Sinn Fein were the crowd going around blowing up innocent people. While trying to destroy the peaceful democrats of the SDLP.

:D i rest my case.

bring on the irish history lesson quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

This is like asking would you like to be slowly tortured or just beaten.

OctavarIan wrote: »
    This is like asking would you like to be slowly tortured or just beaten.

you will be experiencing both in the next few months so you don't need to pick an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 yarwood

I can't believe you people, your soverenity is gone your country is bust your banks are worthless your government consists of liars and useless bastards in fact all you are now is an appendage on the Euro map and all you can dream about is the difference between whatever

Given the above who elected these people if you have an answer to that then you have then stop complaining

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Pity that idealism didnt stretch to recognising that 30 years of IRA violence achieved nothing but death and misery.

Well didn't Haughey run guns to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Buceph wrote: »

Too right. Whatever wrongs FF have done they dont come close to the hurt that SF and their associates caused on this island and in the UK for over 30 years. Thousands of totally innocent people lost their lives as a result of actions which were celebrated by SF. Anyone who votes for them needs to have a good long hard look at themselves.

The country is in a bad enough state without having murderers in power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 yarwood

What a load of claptrap, the British Government in collusion with paramilatries in the North were as much responsible as for murder and mayhem as Sinn Fein, in any case the British owned a part of Ireland and someone ie Sinn Fein stood up to them, what have you and your ilk done I will tell you, rolled over and shown your yellow belly to Europe, you lot are a bloody disgrace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

yarwood wrote: »
    What a load of claptrap, the British Government in collusion with paramilatries in the North were as much responsible as for murder and mayhem as Sinn Fein, in any case the British owned a part of Ireland and someone ie Sinn Fein stood up to them, what have you and your ilk done I will tell you, rolled over and shown your yellow belly to Europe, you lot are a bloody disgrace

I am embarrassed by those who think terrorising and killing innocent civilians is the right way to go about unifying the country (which not everyone wants).

It's Sinn Fein and its supporters who are a bloody disgrace to this nation, much more than corrupt and inept politicians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I've never voted for either party and I'm not likely to start now. Given the choice between the two, I would abstain.

FF are corrupt and I've always thought so. There is to much of a 'who ya know' attitude within the party, creation of political dynasties etc. etc.

SF are the 'rabble rabble rabble' of Irish politics. Ignoring their links with the IRA, as many of the newer members would have played no part in that, their policies are laughable. They don't seem to understand basic economics. Their latest, 'throw the IMF out' is ridiculous. It's not even the sentiment that annoys me most, it's the language they use to do it too. They are soundbite politicians.

COYW wrote: »
    Too right. Whatever wrongs FF have done they dont come close to the hurt that SF and their associates caused on this island and in the UK for over 30 years. Thousands of totally innocent people lost their lives as a result of actions which were celebrated by SF. Anyone who votes for them needs to have a good long hard look at themselves.

The country is in a bad enough state without having murderers in power.

again i say, bring back Irish history lessons for all. :rolleyes: if people actually knew their history, they would realise that statements like this are so far off the mark they are laughable. but hey, FF and their "supporters" has just ensured that Irish history and struggle can be signed away at the drop of a hat, no questions asked.

EMF2010 wrote: »
    I've never voted for either party and I'm not likely to start now. Given the choice between the two, I would abstain.

FF are corrupt and I've always thought so. There is to much of a 'who ya know' attitude within the party, creation of political dynasties etc. etc.

SF are the 'rabble rabble rabble' of Irish politics. Ignoring their links with the IRA, as many of the newer members would have played no part in that, their policies are laughable. They don't seem to understand basic economics. Their latest, 'throw the IMF out' is ridiculous. It's not even the sentiment that annoys me most, it's the language they use to do it too. They are soundbite politicians.

as opposed to FF who DO understand basic economics :D:D:D do you actually read what you are saying? no wonder the country is in the state it's in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Sinn Fein for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Well at least the Catholic population went from being treated like second class citizens, to running the place - result I think.

There may be a few catholics in the Tory & Liberal Democratic parties but surely not a majority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I say we round up these two parties and their supporters and put them on a big boat and let it sail to the far ends of the earth, never to return. We won't be able to vote on the poll anymore but the country will be better for their absence.

The day Sinn Fein get into power is the day I apply for political asylum to Afghanistan.

As for the Republican Party, I may have given them a number 2 in the past but never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I say we round up these two parties and their supporters and put them on a big boat and let it sail to the far ends of the earth, never to return. We won't be able to vote on the poll anymore but the country will be better for their absence.

Your attitude might find more support in North Korea. You know - Where the administration is intolerant to varying political views. Flights are cheap this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

wilson10 wrote: »
    There may be a few catholics in the Tory & Liberal Democratic parties but surely not a majority.

He was referring to the North, which has it's own devolved Government. Pay attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Well at least the Catholic population went from being treated like second class citizens, to running the place - result I think.

Revisionist nonsense. Equal rights for the Catholic population was never a goal of Sinn Fein/IRA

Throughout the conflict they condemned the SDLP(who actually did have equality for Catholics as a goal). They rejected the sunningdale agreement which was basically the same thing as the GFA. Mallon called the GFA ''sunningdale for slow learners'', more amusingly dissident republicans call it ''sunningdale for retards''

IIRC the IRA greenbook even attacks the SDLP

In a modern PC world the Orange state couldn't have continued. Perhaps its destruction was sped up by the likes of John Hume but to say the IRA acheived it is nonsense. That is what Sinn Fein want you to believe so it looks like their campaign achieved something tangible and not just cross border bodies with ''executive powers''. Wonder what Bobby Sands would think of his sacrifice achieving little more than Safefood being one of those bodies.

Though on topic I would choose SF over FF, no question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Power corrupts absoutely. No matter what party ends up in power it will have some corrupt members.
    this was a given with FF and a decade or more in opposition will do them the world of good to get rid of some of the old guard that helped get us into this mess.
    What scares me about SF is that they are and have the potential to be just as corrupt as FF, with the added danger of "we still know where the guns are" and the minority of membership that wouldnt be afraid to use them.
    If SF ever got to power in ireland then i'm emigrating for good.
    Of course there are some very capable people in SF but all you need to do is look at the quality of some of their local election candidates around the country and it is truely scary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

as opposed to FF who DO understand basic economics :D:D:D do you actually read what you are saying? no wonder the country is in the state it's in.

The country is in the state it's in because of my political opinions? Who knew I was THAT important? :p

I answered the question by saying I would abstain. I said I'd never voted for FF or SF, and that I wouldn't vote for them now. I then gave my main objections to the parties in question. At what point did I defend FF? You are the one who has made the assumption that because I find SF's policies laughable that this means I agree with FF's.

To answer your question, yes I read what I was saying. You on the other hand read what I had written and decided that it meant something else. If you support SF, that is fine with me, you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, just as I'm entitled to mine. If you are trying to sway people to see things the way you do, perhaps you should start by not misrepresenting what those who disagree with you do say.

dlofnep wrote: »
    He was referring to the North, which has it's own devolved Government. Pay attention.

I know what he was referring to. Don't kid yourself.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Finish up folks.
    Threads like these will be aggressively pushed to politics forum from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Finish up folks.
    Threads like these will be aggressively pushed to politics forum from now on.
    Where they will probably be closed..... that wont work.

EMF2010 wrote: »
    The country is in the state it's in because of my political opinions? Who knew I was THAT important? :p

I answered the question by saying I would abstain. I said I'd never voted for FF or SF, and that I wouldn't vote for them now. I then gave my main objections to the parties in question. At what point did I defend FF? You are the one who has made the assumption that because I find SF's policies laughable that this means I agree with FF's.

To answer your question, yes I read what I was saying. You on the other hand read what I had written and decided that it meant something else. If you support SF, that is fine with me, you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, just as I'm entitled to mine. If you are trying to sway people to see things the way you do, perhaps you should start by not misrepresenting what those who disagree with you do say.

so you would abstein - do you know how hard people fought to get a vote and you would find it so easy to abstein. You must not have any respect for hte people who fought for a voting rights if you can abstein without giving it a second thought. Easy way out. Do you know if you do abstein you lose any rights whatsoever to comment on what any party is doing or saying etc.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement