Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning remington 700 .223 trigger assembly

Options
  • 20-11-2010 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Would it be ok to clean the trigger assembly with an air line off an air compressor? I cant clean it with rags, I recon a few shots of air would clean it up mint. Any one done this? Let me know. Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

cat320 wrote: »
    Would it be ok to clean the trigger assembly with an air line off an air compressor? I cant clean it with rags, I recon a few shots of air would clean it up mint. Any one done this? Let me know. Cheers!

Do you mean if the stock is separate from the action, or to blow grit out of teh trigger?

If the rifle is together a shot of air may clear out particles, however; they may get lodged deeper inside either.

A cotton wool bud or similar, and some rubbing alcohol or similar will clean out grit etc.
    Air can kill or cure, depending on what you are exactly referring to clean.

Why do you need to clean the trigger assembly?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cat320

Do you mean if the stock is separate from the action, or to blow grit out of teh trigger?

If the rifle is together a shot of air may clear out particles, however; they may get lodged deeper inside either.

A cotton wool bud or similar, and some rubbing alcohol or similar will clean out grit etc.
    Air can kill or cure, depending on what you are exactly referring to clean.

Why do you need to clean the trigger assembly?

No Tackleberrywho, I would have the trigger mechanism out of the gun, the reason I want to clean it is there is a lot of ****e/particles in and around the trigger mechanism. Prob will do no harm but I would like to clean it out. Will try the cotton bud route;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

cat320 wrote: »
    No Tackleberrywho, I would have the trigger mechanism out of the gun, the reason I want to clean it is there is a lot of ****e/particles in and around the trigger mechanism. Prob will do no harm but I would like to clean it out. Will try the cotton bud route;)

There is a thin coating of grease in the Trigger assy, which an airline might remove. You can't run into difficulty to quickly if you try tyhe softly, softly approach.

These are also fluff free
    swabs100.jpg
    Available anywhere that works on computer printers etc, camera lens cleaners

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cat320

Cheers tackleberrywho, Will try that..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If you're going for the airline make sure it's absolutely clean and apply a little highquality fine machine oil or good gun oil to the mechanism. And by a little I mean exactly that, a little.

It shouldn't be more than just a bit of greasy moisture on contact and hinge points because the only thing you're doing is trying to avoid premature wear.

One drop of oil should do the whole mechanism. The best way is to apply it with one of those cottonbuds mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

i wouldnt feel too comfortable about using an airline as the blow a lot of water so you might end up with a rust problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 winmag

you could use some lighter fluid to flush it, this is recomended by some of the after market trigger makers

Advertisement