Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a chocolate cake recipe :)

Options
  • 20-11-2010 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a recipe for a yummy chocolate cake! I am not a great chef (thats being kind to be honest!!!) but I would just love to be able to make one signature dessert dish and I love choc cakes so Im wondering if anyone has an easy enough dessert that I could use?

Im really looking to make a very light cake as I hate very heavy chocolate cakes.

Any info/advice would be really appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭random10

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6652/naughty-chocolate-fudge-cake

this recipe is super easy and the cake is so amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

random10 wrote: »

thank you so much for your quick reply! Can't wait to try it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

How did it turn out OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I know I shouldn't suggest Nigellas recipes because she does love her choccy. But in case you're making any more Nigellas old fashioned choc cake is a good one, there's sour cream in it and using a dark choc makes the cake more chocolatey without being sickly like some milk chocs can.

I love her old fashioned choc cake and the heart one with rasberries and cream in the middle plus her recipes are easy to follow.
    Avocas choc. orange cake is also sooooo nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Made this on Friday..was FAB!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 baskt

hi does anyone have a recipe for angels food cake? i'm looking for a light one with a a type of creamy icing top:p

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

baskt wrote: »
    hi does anyone have a recipe for angels food cake? i'm looking for a light one with a a type of creamy icing top:p

I have an angels food recipe OK but not the icing, as we usually have it with fruit and cream. I'll look it out for you tomorrow, AND I'll give you the one for a lovely cake, cooked in the same way but uses all those yolks you're going to end up with!

I decided I'd do it tonight in case I forget!

Angel Food Cake (made in 10" tube pan) Preheat oven to 375 F

12 egg whites
    1.5 teaspoons cream of tartar
    1.5 cups (8 oz line on measuring jug = 1 cup) caster sugar, divided
    1.5 teaspoons vanilla
    0.5 teaspoons almond extract
    1 cup sifted cake flour (see note below)
    0.25 teaspoons salt

Note: Cake flour can be substituted by putting 2 tablespoons of cornflour into a measuring jug and adding enough plain flour to reach 8 oz mark.
    Sift together 3 times and proceed.

In a large bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar at high speed until foamy. Add three quarters of the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks. Beat in vanilla and almond extract.

Sift together flour, remaining sugar and salt. Sift about half a cup of the flour mixture over the whites and gently fold in just until flour disappears. Repeat, folding in remaining flour mixture half a cup at a time. Pour mixture into ungreased 10" Angel Food pan and gently tap pan on countertop to get rid of air bubbles.

Bake until top springs back when lightly touched with finger, about 30 to 40 minutes. Carefully invert cake in pan on tube of a funnel or bottle neck and cool completely (about 2 hrs).

Loosen cake from pan with narrow spatula or knife and turn out gently onto serving plate. Modern angel food pans have removable base/centre which makes turning out much easier. Cake can be baked in large loaf pan and inverted carefully on 4 tins of beans for example, one tin at each corner.

Egg Yolk Sponge Cake (same 10" pan) Preheat oven to 325 F or 165 C.

1 + 2/3 cups plain flour
    1.5 teaspoons baking powder
    0.5 teaspoons salt
    0.75 cups of egg yolks (left over from Angel Food)
    1 whole egg
    1.5 cups white sugar
    1 tablespoon orange zest
    1 tablespoon orange juice, strained
    0.5 teaspoons lemon extract
    0.75 cups boiling water

Sift together twice, the flour, baking power and salt. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl beat egg yolks and whole egg with electric mixer until thick and lemon coloured (about 5 mins). Gradually add sugar, beating after each addition. Takes about 10 mins.

Fold in orange zest, orange juice and lemon extract. Sift dry ingredients over egg and sugar mixture and fold in. Do not stir or beat. Add boiling water and fold in quickly, just until liquid is blended. Pour batter into ungreased 10" tube pan.

Bake for 60 to 65 mins. When baked, invert cake in pan over funnel and proceed as for Angel Food. Can be iced with Orange Icing below or just dusted with icing sugar to serve.

Orange Icing

5 tablespoons butter, melted
    1.5 tablespoons cream
    1.5 tablespoons orange juice
    1 tablespoon orange zest
    3 cups icing sugar, sifted

Combine the melted butter, cream, orange juice and zest in a large bowl. Gradually beat in the icing sugar with electric mixer until fluffy. Adjust the consistency if necessary by beating in 1 or 2 additional tablespoons of cream. Spread the icing over the entire cake and serve.

This is a very nice cake and the icing is gorgeous.

Hope these recipes work for you, they have for me quite a few times.

hi janmaree
    thanks a million:) for the recipie i made it and it was gorgeous:p.thanks a mill i'm making it at the weekend again:rolleyes:.are you able to freeze it without the icing?if so how long will it last?arew you able to freeze the icing?
    cheers,baskt

hi janmaree
    thanks a million:) for the recipie i made it and it was gorgeous:p.thanks a mill i'm making it at the weekend again:rolleyes:.are you able to freeze it without the icing?if so how long will it last?arew you able to freeze the icing?
    cheers,baskt
    Hi Baskt,

I'm delighted to hear it worked out well for you! Wish I knew about freezing it, but it's never arisen here because there's never anything left over! I don't see why you couldn't freeze the cake itself, you'd need to wrap it well and give it enough room in the freezer so that it doesn't get squished before it goes hard. It should be OK after that. I just don't know about the icing so I can't say. The one thing I DO know about angel food cake is that if it's not iced and there is some leftover, you can grill it in slices (very carefully!) and you get that lovely toasted marshmallow look and flavour. I've even put a slice in the toaster and it works OK. Really good! I have also made the egg yolk cake with lemon and lime instead of orange and the kids loved the "7 UP Cake"! Just an idea to ring the changes! So glad you're enjoying the recipes.

Take care,
    J.

• Advertisement

hi janmaree,
    thanks for the tip on grilling the angel food cake:D.i think your recipies are really good. do you have any more ideas for baking recipies?:o

hi janmaree,
    thanks for the tip on grilling the angel food cake:D.i think your recipies are really good. do you have any more ideas for baking recipies?:o

How much time do you have???? Sad soul that I am, collecting recipes is a bit of a hobby so I've got recipes spilling out of every drawer in the place!!! What kind of cakes and things do you like? I've got a nice chocolate cake recipe called "Chocolate Dump Cake", so called because you dump everything into the bowl at once and beat! It's not featherlight but it's really good and easy. I've also got an old family favourite that I made myself last weekend called "Tomato Soup Cake"! Everybody likes it despite the name and we make it with a lovely vanilla fudgey icing on top. Have a think and let me know what you like and I'll see what I have. J.

hi,
    time isn't really a problem if it takes long i'll just make time for making it.your one of many people who collect recipies i do too:D.it's handy because you are never stuck for a recipie for any occasion.:) if your not too busy i would love the recipie for the chocolate dump cake.my mother makes shortbread for the kids in my old primary school and they go mad for it.would you like it?
    all the best,baskt

I'll type out the dump cake recipe for you in the next few days. Yes please, I'd love to have your Mum's shortbread recipe, it's one of my favourite things.
    Talk soon and thanks, J.

shortbread recipie,

ingredients;110g butter/margarine (at room temp)
    50g caster sugar
    175g plain flour (sifted)
    extra caster sugar for dusting.

method:
    1) preheat the oven to gas mark 2,300 F,150 C.
    2)lightly grease a baking sheet.
    3)begin beating the butter,to a soft consistency,then beat the sugar followed by the flour.
    4)start to bring the mixture together,then finish off with your hands to form the paste.
    5)transfer this to a board lightly dusted with caster sugar,then quickly and lightly roll it out to about 3mm thick.
    6)place on a highish shelf in the oven for 30 mins.cool on a wire rack store in an airtight tin to keep them crisp.

talk to you later,baskt

My apologies for the delay in giving you the dump cake recipe and many thanks for your Mum's shortbread recipe, I plan to make it this weekend and I'm really looking forward to it.

This recipe came from Country Living Magazine (U.S.) and I've made it quite a few times with no problems.

Easy Chocolate Party Cake (with Fudgy Cream Cheese Frosting)

"Some people call this a dump cake as all the ingredients are dumped into one bowl, mixed into a smooth batter and baked into moist, fudgy layers."

2 cups plain flour
    1.5 cups whole milk
    2/3 (two thirds) cup white sugar
    2/3 (two thirds) cup dark brown sugar
    0.5 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
    0.75 cups butter (I weigh out 6 ounces on the scales)
    3 large eggs
    2 tsps vanilla extract
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp bread soda
    0.5 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter and then line the bases of two 8" cake tins.

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer at low speed, combine all of the above ingredients. Then increase speed to medium and continue to beat for 3 more minutes.

Divide the batter equally between the tins and spread evenly. Bake on the middle rack of the oven until the tops spring back when lightly touched. (In my oven this takes about 30 - 35 mins but they all vary.)
    Cool in the cake tins on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then using a knife, loosen the cake layers from the sides of the tins and invert onto the wire rack to cool completely.

Frosting

8 ounces cream cheese
    4 tbsps (2 ounces) butter, softened
    3 tbsps milk (I use cream because the milk makes it very soft)
    3 cups icing sugar, sifted
    2/3 (two thirds) cup unsweetened cocoa
    pinch of salt
    1.5 tsps vanilla extract

In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and milk or cream together at medium speed until smooth. Add the sugar, cocoa and salt and continue to beat until blended. Reduce mixer speed to low, add the vanilla and beat until smooth. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes before using, though this really applies if you use the milk. Using the cream, I find I can ice the cooled cake straight away.

This quantity is enough to cover the whole cake.

Hope you get a chance to try it, and I hope it turns out well!

"Talk" soon!

Janmaree

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Chefburns

random10 wrote: »

Considering doing this as cupcakes any idea what i should modify the time to?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

I made this recipe as a cake and it was delicious would be interested to try it as cupcakes. Very very moist cake. The batter reminded me of a American muffin batter. Let us know how you get on :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Chefburns wrote: »
    Considering doing this as cupcakes any idea what i should modify the time to?

I'd try cooking at 170d C for 20-25 minutes. Check after 20. Because the recipe uses 2 small sandwich tins, it wouldn't be significantly deeper than a cupcake anyway.

Advertisement