Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repairs on a Sunday

• 20-11-2010 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Is there anywhere in Dublin that will do repairs on a Sunday ?
    My bike broke - died beyond being worth fixing - but I have an old mountain bike I'm trying to resurrect. Issues with brakes I could fix but issues with gears I cannnot. I NEED something that works for Monday so its either get it fixed tomorrow or buy something tomorrow.

Any advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭CrankyCod

I'm not being smart but all the info you need is here:

http://bicycletutor.com/

at a minimum you will be able to adjust the rear gear mechanism so that it sits in a middle gear, that should get you around until you can get to a bike shop.

Is there a Halfords near you? In Cork they open on Sunday but I'm not sure how speedy their repair service is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

cycleways, citycycles, build a bile on st marys abbey might be open too. just depends if they are busy, id say city cycles is a good bet.

But its probably easy to fix yourself. maybe some degreaser and lube and a quick adjust is all that needed. Then again it could need new cables. whats wrong with it, is it rusted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

what kind of bike is the dead one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

CrankyCod wrote: »
    I'm not being smart but all the info you need is here:

http://bicycletutor.com/

at a minimum you will be able to adjust the rear gear mechanism so that it sits in a middle gear, that should get you around until you can get to a bike shop.

Is there a Halfords near you? In Cork they open on Sunday but I'm not sure how speedy their repair service is.

Thanks but thats not much help unless that site has some print and fold bike tools on the website :P

CrankyCod - the front derailer is the problem. It is in the lowest gear (actually lower than the lower gear). When you try to change it up a gear it the derailer moves back to a low gear position when you take your finger off the gear switcher. I think there may be a cable missing or something. Actually its been sitting in a garage for maybe 15 years so i think all the cables need replacing - last time I tried to fix it about 5 years ago a cable snapped on me. Actually its a pretty nice bike - Merida Albontech 500 if that means anything to anyone.

kumatechamp07 the dead bike is some random make i can't remember now - i'll check again for you. Cost 215EUR about 5 years ago. Gears always gave trouble from day 1. Middle front gear cog started snarling upt he chain about a two weeks back. Said it woudl be 50 to fix and he had to order in parts or alternatively i could stick it in high gear cog and just go with that. I did but kept forgetting when cycling and trinyg to change gear and screwing it up more. Now the chain slips or jams in any gear, the thing is totally f**ked and I'm chucking it out since its not worth fixing. I've already spent maybe 50 on it in last few months I'm not spending another 50plus on it again. Its just not worth it. Piece of ****. The outrageous thing is I'd say the bike has less than 500km on it:mad::mad::mad:

The Albontech on the other hand was awesome in its day so maybe I can revive it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Thanks but thats not much help unless that site has some print and fold bike tools on the website :P

CrankyCod - the front derailer is the problem. It is in the lowest gear (actually lower than the lower gear). When you try to change it up a gear it the derailer moves back to a low gear position when you take your finger off the gear switcher. I think there may be a cable missing or something. Actually its been sitting in a garage for maybe 15 years so i think all the cables need replacing - last time I tried to fix it about 5 years ago a cable snapped on me. Actually its a pretty nice bike - Merida Albontech 500 if that means anything to anyone.

kumatechamp07 the dead bike is some random make i can't remember now - i'll check again for you. Cost 215EUR about 5 years ago. Gears always gave trouble from day 1. Middle front gear cog started snarling upt he chain about a two weeks back. Said it woudl be 50 to fix and he had to order in parts or alternatively i could stick it in high gear cog and just go with that. I did but kept forgetting when cycling and trinyg to change gear and screwing it up more. Now the chain slips or jams in any gear, the thing is totally f**ked and I'm chucking it out since its not worth fixing. I've already spent maybe 50 on it in last few months I'm not spending another 50plus on it again. Its just not worth it. Piece of ****. The outrageous thing is I'd say the bike has less than 500km on it:mad::mad::mad:

The Albontech on the other hand was awesome in its day so maybe I can revive it!
    I'd give you a few bob for it if I could salvage any parts or fix it up. tho if it cost 215 new 5 years ago it was probably never a great bike to begin with. usually a bike at that price comes with the cheapest parts possible that keep breaking and you end up paying the same price in repairs as it would have cost to get a higer quality bike in the first place!

• Advertisement

I'd give you a few bob for it if I could salvage any parts or fix it up. tho if it cost 215 new 5 years ago it was probably never a great bike to begin with. usually a bike at that price comes with the cheapest parts possible that keep breaking and you end up paying the same price in repairs as it would have cost to get a higer quality bike in the first place!

This is exactly what happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If you can get your hands on allen keys, remove the front derailleur and put the chain on the middle ring by hand.

It'll probably do you until you get the chance to pop into a bike shop.

-Chris- wrote: »
    If you can get your hands on allen keys, remove the front derailleur and put the chain on the middle ring by hand.

Ah !Interesting. I fonly I thought of that yesterday when there were tools aronud in my folks place. Alas not today :(
    funkyjebus wrote:
    cycleways

Just googled them - these are the crowd that sold me the lemon in the first place. Frankly I'll be loath to bring them back any more business.

Do eurocycles do repairs ? They are open today I see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭techieelectric

-Chris- wrote: »

You're going to need a chainbreaker for that I'm afraid, unless you don't mind deconstructing/breaking your front derailleur. Where are you? If you happened to be near Clontarf I'll give you a hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

You're going to need a chainbreaker for that I'm afraid, unless you don't mind deconstructing/breaking your front derailleur. Where are you? If you happened to be near Clontarf I'll give you a hand.

Front deraileur can usually be 'split' by removing a screw, no need to break the chain. Go to you local Tesco and buy a set of Allen keys and a screw driver.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭techieelectric

mloc123 wrote: »
    Front deraileur can usually be 'split' by removing a screw, no need to break the chain. Go to you local Tesco and buy a set of Allen keys and a screw driver.

On a decent derailleur yes but the cheap SIS ones that you get on 75% of bikes are held together with a pin and this sounds cheapish, (new bike was 215 quid). I could be entirely wrong though.

Thanks guys - all sorted!!!
    You are a helpful bunch!!! Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

How did you sort it???

Advertisement