Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this good value?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Looks good but allow for customs they are nailing everyone this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

oo vary nice,
    looking for a weather station myself at the moment.

Im sure i seen a topic on the best one to get on here somewhere.

just had a look and it seams that the

6250 Davis Vantage Vue Wireless Weather Station is prob the best one to go for in that price range. is that true people.
    also does this upload date to your computer for viewing.
    and, how would one get this info on a website for the likes of the rest of the fourm to see and use.
    one site was selling a weather IP for £300, seams a bit steep.

any help guys ;)

talkabout, let me know what cost they give you to get it to you .
    anybody know how much the import tax would be on this.

as retaling in the Uk for around the £300-370 price range.
    price from there would be around the £160 price range.

any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

They don't appear to ship to Ireland. Also the american version appears to be illegal here?? (according to some sites). Came across this company in Donegal not too far from where i live and it seems reasonable. I might call in person this week and see what price i can get with a bit of face to face haggling :)

http://www.barry-electronics.ie/37-vantage-vue.html

The wireless frequency that the station uses from base to console is different in US and those frequencies aren't allowed in Europe but tbh I think it's a load of bull the range is far too small to cause issues

Thanks Villian,

My back garden is pretty small and i was wondering is it a waste getting a good weather station if it can't be sited properly. Any thoughts? I can put up a picture of my back yard if that helps. Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Talkabout my garden is small too, down in a glen, surrounded by houses and trees! ideal location NOT!

I still really enjoy my weather station, and I am surprised by what it captures despite the dodgy location. :)

Well it depends on what you are looking for really, the readings will be accurate for YOUR garden i.e. when you go outside the temp will be what the console says.

If however you are looking to use your station to give a true reflection of the weather for the area you live in excluding influences from houses etc then the readings may not truly reflect the situation.

Post up a pic of your garden

I intent moving the oil tank to a concrete base behind the shed, the plan was to site the weather station off the shed? I have a green field behind the house but neighbours either side.

some more, thanks for the help.

im going to hi jack this as well.

what hight would be best to sit this at.

open fields on one side which gets most of the weather,

have a location on top of shed but that is 25ft of the ground would that be two high.

• Advertisement

The correct height is 4th to 6ft well for all the sensors except the wind vane but that's the one draw back of the Vue, i.e. All the sensors are fixed to one unit. Ideally the wind vane should be situated as high as possible up to 10m.

I would fix it at 5ft the wind fta may suffer the rest will be accurate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Villain wrote: »
    The correct height is 4th to 6ft well for all the sensors except the wind vane but that's the one draw back of the Vue, i.e. All the sensors are fixed to one unit. Ideally the wind vane should be situated as high as possible up to 10m.

I would fix it at 5ft the wind fta may suffer the rest will be accurate.

Thats the only disadvantage of the Vue in fairness but in my experience the wind readings at 5ft will be way out. If its placed in a wide open field with no obstructions it would probably be ok. So for me i placed mine at 5 metres which improves the wind readings without causing that much of a difference to the other readings. The Vue is a great piece of kit though.

Thats the only disadvantage of the Vue in fairness but in my experience the wind readings at 5ft will be way out. If its placed in a wide open field with no obstructions it would probably be ok. So for me i placed mine at 5 metres which improves the wind readings without causing that much of a difference to the other readings. The Vue is a great piece of kit though.
    Not sure about Temp readings at 5 meters tbh, I'd rather keep the sensor at correct distance for Temp.

I mean at 5 meters you are still another 5 meters off the correct height for Wind speeds but also way off the 1.5m (approx) for Temp.

At least by fxing it at 1.5m you have all the sensors at right height except the wind vane.

cheers for all this info.

how much would a stand alone wind gauge cost,

also does it put the weather info on to your computer, or does that requie something eles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Ask the farmer could you locate it in the field behind and put a wire mesh fence around it. A 1 metre squared off plot in the middle of that field would be perfect and the wireless transmitter will still reach your house.

No chance of that happening. Will just make the best of what i have but thanks for all the help. Think i will run a pole off shed or stand alone near oil tank as its going to be moved next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭P1erce

I bought one from them last summer from Barry Electronics. They were very helpful on the phone. I didn't have any issues setting it up as it was very easy.

They told me they stock all the Davis Weahter products including spares. They did not charge me for shipping as it was within Ireland.

Pierce

Advertisement