Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Problems DSL/PPPoE/IP

• 20-11-2010 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hello everyone,
    Recently over the last 2 weeks I have been experiencing many problems with my eircom broadband.
    It was constantly disconnecting and over the last two days it went off completely.
    I am on eircoms 4 mb NGB package and my router is a Netopia 2247NWG.

My original problem was my internet light on my router going red. On the disagnostics page it was indicating that my DSL line was down. It would fix itself after a while. This was happening once a day or so. Then my internet went completely off and it was a problem with my PPPoE. It was failing the diagnostics test. I did a factory reset on my router about an hour ago and PPPoE has now become stable. The problem I have now is that my IP fails the test occasionally for about a minute and then reconnects and passes the test. This happens every 10 minutes or so making it impossible to play Online Games and very annoying when streaming videos.
    Help would be appreciated.

Image included of diagnostics page.

netopia.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

Hi alan, could you post up your s/n margin and line attenuation

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Alan3002

teddy b123 wrote: »
    Hi alan, could you post up your s/n margin and line attenuation

As this moment in time:

SN Margin (dB) Downstream: 6.00 Upstream: 25.00

Line Attenuation (db) Downstream: 26.50 Upstream: 11.50

Internet seems stable now at the moment, can play online games no bother without any disconnects. I'm predicting that once again in the morning it will all be acting up again though.

EDIT: Phone Just rang and this changed too:

SN Margin (dB) Downstream: 2.00 Upstream: 22.00

Line Attenuation (dB) Downstream: 26.50 Upstream: 11.50

EDIT 2: A few minutes after the phone rang my DSL test failed and I got 232 CRC errors downstream. Took a few reloads for it all to start up again and for IP to stop being picky and pass the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

im guessing you have a dsl splitter/filter on your line?

but yeah your downstream sn margin is uncomfortably low

teddy b123 wrote: »
    im guessing you have a dsl splitter/filter on your line?

but yeah your downstream sn margin is uncomfortably low

Yeah I have a splitter on the line. It was all working 100% for about 2 years up until 2 weeks ago. Nobody tamered with the line it just seemed to happen by itself. Im guessing my router might be on the way out. I hear its one of the worst routers on the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

red light is an authentication issue, probally caused by intermittent snyc. they may have to set your BB connection to 3 meg to get it more stable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

I'm having similar problems. My service went completely during the week and they sent me a new modem.

I got it working but it's very intermittent. I can't get webpages on my laptop but a speedtest on my iPhone tells me my speed is anything from 0.11 mps to 4.71mbs.

Is this what eircom mean by Next Generation Broadband??

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

the noise margin dropped when the phone rang so it is probably the filters causing the problem

disconnect everything connected into the line and only connect the modem in without the splitter if you are using one.

if it works again without dropping or the stats show an improvement you will need to get them to replace the filters

Success!
    Fixed my problems. Turns out it was my router acting up. Crappy eircom one. Got a loan of my mates to test out for the day and everything has been working 100%. Not one slow down. Going to invest in a decent router. Thank you for all your help.

Advertisement