Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning serious scam alert

Options
  • 21-11-2010 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭

Friend of mine, her grandmother was scammed last week:
    Two fellas in high-vis jackets knocked on the door. Said they were from the council and there was a water or oil leak. She let them in and then one of them said needed to check upstairs.

Usual story, later on she discoved all her Xmas money was gone.

Not a new scam by any means folks, but be warned and be on the watch out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

amdublin wrote: »
    Two fellas in high-vis jackets knocked on the door. Said they were from the council and there was a water or oil leak. She let them in and then one of them said needed to check upstairs.

So bad. Wonder are older people being targetted or is anyone a potential victim.

Did the above occur in D15?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yes it was d15.

Am sure happening all over. Not sure for definite but IMO they probably do target older people. So prob best to warn your neighbours/older family. But to keep an eye out yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

thats real bad. I hope these scum get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

amdublin wrote: »

Scumbags!!!! I hope this was reported to the Gardai but also to local neighbors and other such people in the community who deal with the elderly.

Yes desperate isn't it. Not sure if reported etc - assume / hope it was.

Poor lady, she now feels unsafe in her own home so my friends family have to arrange for one of them to be there all the time. Plus she feels ashamed/angry that she fell for it. Plus also, it seems to have been ALL her xmas money eg.presents, food bills etc; we're not talking just a few hundred here :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Is she even living in a council house I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

While I sympathise, it's a bit foolish to have that much money in cash at home.

Jehuty42 wrote: »

I know...

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Jehuty42 wrote: »

Probably safer than the banks....

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭wildlifeman

She let 2 blokes in the house with no formal identification and wearing high vis jackets? hmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

She let 2 blokes in the house with no formal identification and wearing high vis jackets? I dont think you need to warn anyboby about this because no body other than a complete idiot would let anyone in their house without proper id and even then they wouldnt be stepping through my door. as for leaving money out like that,,,,sheeesh. her age has nothing to do with this. the woman was STUPID!

Obviously we all know this woman's actions were stupid.

However, none of us would be so rude as to call the woman stupid.

Sometimes older people may not have the ability to either say no or they can not assess whether someone is not who they say they are. Scam artists know exactly who to target - and they also are extremely manipulative.

Have some empathy and spread the word to prevent this happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

She let 2 blokes in the house with no formal identification and wearing high vis jackets? I dont think you need to warn anyboby about this because no body other than a complete idiot would let anyone in their house without proper id and even then they wouldnt be stepping through my door. as for leaving money out like that,,,,sheeesh. her age has nothing to do with this. the woman was STUPID!
    picking on an old lady on the internet? nice, i'm sure your parents are very proud. :rolleyes:

there are obviously still plenty of trusting old people in the world who do fall for these types of scams or these scumbags wouldn't still be using them, which is why raising awareness of these types of things are helpful, unlike your attitude to them.

i just hope that if you have older vulnerable relatives they have someone other than you that they can turn to for help in a time of need. :(

where's the thumbs down button when you need it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Harsh man, very harsh
    Ok, it was a mistake, but any decent con-man will be very convincing, it's also not exactly hard to print of some sort of id card and buy a lamentater (sp?) in the likes of Reads or Easons. Older people tend to be the victims more often, maybe it's because they are more trusting, I don't know, for it to happen at any stage is crap but all the christmas money going that's just terrible.

Just hope it never happens to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

Wildlifeman you should change your username to lowlifeman, disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Ah come on Wildlifeman, don't confuse naivity and trustworthiness with stupidity. Maybe you could say she lacks street smarts???

That's awful OP, on top of the robery is the shock and unhappiness and sometimes that can have a far greater affect than losing a couple of quid. Hopefully she will be ok. It's a sad state when we encourage our elder folk to be a cynical as we certainly are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I have to say I HATE the way people in general are so quick to blame the victum.

Why? Some lowlife scum ripped off someone and people weigh in with - you shouldn't have money at home, you shouldn't leave your bag unattended etc etc.

When I had my purse lifted out of my backpack- the very first thing everyone said was directed towards me. Like you should have carried the bag on your front, you should keep your money on your body etc etc. It took a while before they got to the bit where they said 'those guys were scum for robbing you'.

OP - thanks for the heads up - its horrible that we cant be safe in our homes. And worse for the older amongst us - who are more vunerable. Maybe because they can remember nicer times when you could actually trust people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Seriously folks, way ot and ott. Thread closed.

Wildlifeman, I appreciate you did edit your post albeit a bit late, but please observe the charter of this forum or any others on boards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement