Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

access denied to photos

• 21-11-2010 1:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭

hi all
    did a search and tried everything but still no joy

my hard drive crashed in my pc so i replaced it and installed win xp on it
    connected up the old hard drive thru a usb to sata to see if i can get anything off it but my photos keep coming up access denied the flie names are green and i have tried the taking ownership thru safe mode and the photo recovery software but that doesnt work either does anyone have any other tips or ways

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

Update now the photos are not even in the folder anymore anyone any help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭nc43

you are logged in as an admin in XP right?

and do you understand why they are green cloured names

Yea still signed in as admin havent set up users yet
    Yea they are green because they are encrypted from my old system

If the filenames are green then they are encrypted using EFS. Unless you have a backup of your EFS cert you're more or less screwed.

Where would I find the cert I can still HDTV
    Most of the files from my old hard drive

• Advertisement

The only way I know of exporting the cert is to actually boot off the old drive, not sure if you can do this. You need to run certmgr.msc and click on Personal and then Certificates. The cert is listed in the right pane, right-click it and choose Export.

ok I wasnt sure if you understood that and I didnt want to unnecessarily confuse you

however there are absolutely *NO* free options if you did not back up your encryption keys

you could try looking for a software solution http://www.elcomsoft.com/aefsdr.html

but that will cost

so as I understand you have not deleted anything from the old HD but you just cant boot from it

first thing I would do is image the old HD and store that backup image on you 2nd newer HD
    then follow these instructions
    http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/efsrecovery/

this seems where you might start from
    "recovery with the orginal profile not in the file system"

yes its a bit long winded but hey your feckered anyhow :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Your best bet is to try to recover the system and boot from the original hard drive.

If possible take a backup of it first.

Then pop it in the machine, try to boot and post any error messages.

If it restarts automatically and just goes into a loop rebooting you will need to keep tapping F8 and Disable Automatic restarts

Advertisement