Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you tell your partner ?

• 21-11-2010 3:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭

OK, straw poll here.

If you had sex with someone outside marriage/long-term relationship, would you.

Tell your partner as soon as possible (within a couple of weeks max)
    Tel your partner if you thought they would find out from a 3rd party.
    Not tell at all / deny everything

Would you tell your partner if you had sex with someone else? 192 votes

YES - As soon as I could.
    0% 0 votes
    YES - If I thought my partner would find out from a 3rd party.
    42% 82 votes
    NO - If I thought they would never find out.
    11% 22 votes
    NO - Deny everything.
    45% 88 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Have you been a naughty boy(or girl) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I'd probably turn it into a fun guessing game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Have you been a naughty boy(or girl) ?

Haha, no. Just something that came up in conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Pique wrote: »
    OK, straw poll here.

I did not have sexual relations with that person!
    deny at all costs:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

yes, of course. I'd tell her before I did it. seriously, i'd call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

This will end well..

..is a comment you often see on the first page of a thread but would be fairly incongruous in this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Where's the "Sort it out on Jeremy Kyle" option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yes and that isn't for internet purposes.

The only person you are fooling by lying, is yourself.

I'd fall down on some moral values and I'd freely admit that, personal trust and loyalty aren't them..

Drink isn't an excuse either, in my book.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I am the son and heir of nothing in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

OK, straw poll here.

When your older you'll learn(if you have kids)its not just cheating on your partner its cheating on your family,its just something you just dont do

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Yes and that isn't for internet purposes.

The only person you are fooling by lying, is yourself.

I'd fall down on some moral values and I'd freely admit that, personal trust and loyalty aren't them..

Drink isn't an excuse either, in my book.

I dont think it was a serious question and most of us did not give an honest answer.

OK, straw poll here.

Soooooooooooooooooo what did you do,cum on tell us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I'm going to use my amazing powers of deduction and hazard a guess that 11 girls have answered in this poll so far. << >> ;)

strobe wrote: »
    I'm going to use my amazing powers of deduction and hazard a guess that 11 girls have answered in this poll so far. << >> ;)
    or 11 liers:D

strobe wrote: »

no you are wrong, I was post 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I my experience #4 works best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Deny everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

I'm so honest I'd ring my wife on the phone whilst having sex with said stranger, I don't fcuk around.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

cruiser178 wrote: »
    Soooooooooooooooooo what did you do,cum on tell us.

You're sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Depends on whether a raincoat was worn!!! If it was bareback you've definitely got to tell. Otherwise, not so much. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

You're sick.

.....says the rapist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

Open relationships, ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I am the son and heir of nothing in particular.

What would Morrissey say? :p

You're sick.
    Says he with the appropriate user name:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'm sure I've seen this thread somewhere before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Would never happen but I would tell all as soon as possible. I mean if youve cheated on your partner then obviously he/she doesnt mean as much to you as you you may think so you have to let them know and let them make their own decision about this. Keeping it to yourself only causes even more trouble and makes the person youve cheated on feel even more like an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'd admit it, without a doubt. Even if I didn't tell him out of respect for him, I'd tell him for myself 'cause I wouldn't be able to look at him afterwards knowing I'd cheated - the guilt would drive me insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Would never happen but I would tell
    How do you know if it would never happen? Can you 100% predict what would you do in a situation you can't even imagine yourself to be in? Sounds bull to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Deny, deny, deny.. throw a big wobbler, smash everything & everyone around me... Close the page on that one - to be continued.

• Advertisement

Doop wrote: »
    .....says the rapist

CoCo consented to that act!

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    How do you know if it would never happen? Can you 100% predict what would you do in a situation you can't even imagine yourself to be in? Sounds bull to me.

Well, I know I wouldnt cheat no matter what the situation. In a hypathetical situation then I would tell all. :) Unless you were date raped then there is no excuse to be intimate sexually or romantically with another person whilst in a relationship.

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Well, I know I wouldnt cheat no matter what the situation. In a hypathetical situation then I would tell all. :)
    Yeah, theory is always beautiful and full of clear, decent rules, but practice turns out to be very much different sometimes. Well, I suppose the longer we live, the more we learn.

I cheated on my (ex) girlfriend. At the time I was really drunk and didn't care as we'd been really rocky in the run up to said incident.

However, when I sobered up and realised what exactly I had done I felt terrible. The most intense guilt ever. Told her the next day and that was that.

Happily with my new missus now for over a year and would never dream of doing anything similar after seeing the hurt I inflicted on someone.

Yeah, theory is always beautiful and full of clear, decent rules, but practice turns out to be very much different sometimes. Well, I suppose the longer we live, the more we learn.

Im just curious, lol, why would you cheat on someone in your opinion? :)

However, when I sobered up and realised what exactly I had done I felt terrible. The most intense guilt ever. Told her the next day and that was that.
    Now the question is how much of that was because you're a decent man with balls and rules and wanted to be really HONEST with your gf, and how much because you wanted to punish yourself for what you've done, calm your guilty conscience and fell good in your own eyes, no matter what the ex was gonna feel?

@candy - too much of this subject recently... I'm just giving up ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

If I put myself in this situation then yes, I would imagine I would have too, to be perfect honest I wouldn't be able to live with the shame and the guilt and I certainly wouldn't be able to make love to her knowing I'd been with another woman behind her back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

OK, straw poll here.

have u cheated on imbrahimovic?

Now the question is how much of that was because you're a decent man with balls and rules and wanted to be really HONEST with your gf, and how much because you wanted to punish yourself for what you've done, calm your guilty conscience and fell good in your own eyes, no matter what the ex was gonna feel?

@candy - too much of this subject recently... I'm just giving up ;)

I honestly felt like the worst person in the world for doing such a thing to her. Especially because when we were dating, we both said we had never cheated on anybody but had both been cheated upon and said we'd never do it.

I knew she would never find out but I had to tell her. She didn't deserve it... I told her because it was the right thing to do. To this day, I still dont feel for good what I did.

There was no good feeling or weight off my chest when I did tell, just more guilt. This sounds terrible but doing that to her has helped mold my current relationship.

Through it we've still managed to be friends and talk quite regularly which I'm glad of

I wouldn't be able to live with the shame and the guiltI certainly wouldn't be able to make love to her knowing I'd beenwith another woman behind her back
    What about her :) You reckon all this "I, I, I" would help in anything else than making only yourself feel good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

What about her :) You reckon all this "I, I, I" would help in anything else than making only yourself feel good?

If a guy told me that he'd cheated on me and told me because he couldn't live with the guilt, I'd be fine with that. Fine with that reason for telling, I mean. The reason for telling doesn't have to be about the other person. Not being able to deceive your partner by keeping the truth from them is about them anyway.

• Advertisement

I honestly felt like the worst person in the world for doing such a thing to her. Especially because when we were dating, we both said we had never cheated on anybody but had both been cheated upon and said we'd never do it.

I knew she would never find out but I had to tell her. She didn't deserve it... I told her because it was the right thing to do. To this day, I still dont feel for good what I did.

There's plenty mention of "her" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

Why do people never feel guilty before they sleep with the other person?

Pookah wrote: »
    Why do people never feel guilty before they sleep with the other person?

Can you feel guilty when drunk :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

I would never put myself in such a situation.Never has happened, never will.Saves me bundles of trouble, but I have had to turn down a few potentially great rides.

never will
    What a brave statement... :rolleyes: I'd like to be so brave and certain myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Leelaa22

cruiser178 wrote: »
    When your older you'll learn(if you have kids)its not just cheating on your partner its cheating on your family,its just something you just dont do

thank you !!!! this is an arguement Ive had with someone recently and they just dont see that its something you dont do.
    thank you Im glad at least one person out there sees things as clearly as I do.
    I was beginning to feel like the only one.

To all cheated and cheating - chill people, we've got only one life and as long as no one gets hurt it's all good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Leelaa22

To all cheated and cheating - chill people, we've got only one life and as long as no one gets hurt it's all good :)

Thats the problem with cheating people do get hurt. Maybe not right away but eventually someone will get hurt.
    And we dont only have one life just so you know. And if we did only have one life wouldnt that be all the more reason to make it a good one considering we dont get any second chances.

Leelaa22 wrote: »
    thank you !!!! this is an arguement Ive had with someone recently and they just dont see that its something you dont do.
    thank you Im glad at least one person out there sees things as clearly as I do.
    I was beginning to feel like the only one.

My first reply was of the cuff.

My honest answer is I would not cheat because my family would never respect me again. My husband would probably forgive me but my kids would not. Temptation is a fact of life but it's up to everyone to decide what is important for them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement