Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get to Australia??

Options
  • 21-11-2010 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi folks.
    I am a non-national construction worker in Ireland.I am here almost 8 years.I have Irish residence,but these days as you aware construction sector is down.So i would like to go work in OZ as long as can.But i have no idea how to apply for visa and jobs.
    Should I go an agency who take people to Aust? I have Non-Eu passport..Do you think this would be a problem to getting a visa? I have experience of plastering and working with mobile and tower crane in building..

If any1 knows the steps of process should be taken to get visa and job,Can you help me please.I`ll be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Well you can of course apply for skilled migration. Without knowing your nationality I cant advise you on a working holiday visa. Try this pionts test.

http://www.acacia-au.com/skilled-migration-points-test.php

It should give you an idea how you stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Having working in ireland means nothing really, nor does being a resident in ireland.
    You are a citizen of a certain country, holding that passport, so its really jsut down to the visa agreement between australia and your country.
    Check the website, or tell us here and we can advise if a WHV applies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 snoepys

on a plane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gtajb

Hi, I am actually in the same position.
    I'm hoping to go to Australia for a year (and possibly longer) with my boyfriend. I should be fine in getting a visa, however my boyfriend is 34, so over 30, so cannot apply for the 1 Year Working visa. He is a construction worker also (but does not have his papers), so would just be considered a construction labourer. Does anyone know the best way for him to apply for a working visa?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

gtajb wrote: »
    Hi, I am actually in the same position.
    I'm hoping to go to Australia for a year (and possibly longer) with my boyfriend. I should be fine in getting a visa, however my boyfriend is 34, so over 30, so cannot apply for the 1 Year Working visa. He is a construction worker also (but does not have his papers), so would just be considered a construction labourer. Does anyone know the best way for him to apply for a working visa?
    Thanks!

Really to be honest a labourer is not on the list, your BF would need a trade like carpenter, plumber or have a degree + experience in medicine, IT, engineering etc.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule2.pdf

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/175/eligibility-applicant.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ilovemilkymoos

Hi Folks ,

Having recently applied for and been granted a Skilled Migration Permanent Residency visa (which took 28months i might add) i can tell you that it is nearly impossible to get a migration visa without a skill in demand in Oz. The pathway for trades people to apply without trade papers is now closed!

From mid 2011 the points and criteria for application is to get tougher, longer work experience required, english literacy tests (even if an Irish citizen) etc etc so it is only getting harder!

As for the working holiday visa (easy option if you hold Irish citizenship), you can only apply for this if you are under 30. You can go on a 3 month holiday visa but this does not entitle you to work. It may be an oppertunity to seek work & subsequently sponsorship once in Oz.

Cheers
    Johnny.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭HardyBuckFan

How did you get your skilled visa johnny, did you apply through an agency or do it yourself

How did you get your skilled visa johnny, did you apply through an agency or do it yourself

I got my skills assement myself, and applied through an agent for the visa outright.
    Agent was very good, wouldnt lodge the application until we had all the relevent associated documents ready!
    Took a little longer to get the application in but at least we knew that the application was decision ready.

There are many skilled visa you can apply for, see HERE for info.

ta for that, i'm a qualified accountant so hopefully i'll qualify for the skilled visa, what agency did the use and did they say how much it'd cost

ta for that, i'm a qualified accountant so hopefully i'll qualify for the skilled visa, what agency did the use and did they say how much it'd cost

I used Australia Migration & Visa Lawyers (CLICKY).
    Cant quite remember the actual amount, but their fee's were aroubd €600-€800 as far as i can remember.

If you're using an agent, ensure that they're on the MARA list. HERE .

Good luck!!!!

• Advertisement

cheers buddy, if we're both in oz in a few years i'll shout u a pint!

Advertisement