Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knife Sharpener

• 21-11-2010 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

is there anywhere in the city where i can get some kitchen knifes sharpened?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I'd imagine the only man in town for a job like that. Is that you Richie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

If its a plain straight edge knife its simple to do yourself. I bought a kitchen devil sharpener in ardkeen stores and it keeps my knives razor sharp. Buy a steel also to keep the blade in tip top condition.

Still though, you cant beat a good proper sharpening done on a wheel :) Be aware though that regular sharpening by that method will wear away your knife blade!

If its a bread/serrated edge knife you might be better off buying a new one as they are tricky to sharpen.

It probably seems a silly thing to say but I hope you are'nt using one of those horrible glass/marble chopping boards. While you are getting your sharpener, buy yourself a nice wooden board and some plastic ones for meat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I'd imagine the only man in town for a job like that. Is that you Richie?

Ha ha nope he is just a lad i know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

If its a plain straight edge knife its simple to do yourself.

It really is, get an oil or water stone, hold the angle and stroke away to a new sharper edge!
    I bought a kitchen devil sharpener in ardkeen stores and it keeps my knives razor sharp.

I hope it's not one of those carbide wheel sharpeners, those eat steel and make paring knives out of Chef knives!
    Buy a steel also to keep the blade in tip top condition.

I would agree, if you buy a smooth ceramic "steel" that does not eat your good knife!
    Still though, you cant beat a good proper sharpening done on a wheel smile.gif Be aware though that regular sharpening by that method will wear away your knife blade!

What if it's not a wheel? I don't know what Ritchie uses, I might call over to his and find out if he wouldn't mind?

I use all sorts of stuff to edge knives and tools, water stones, ceramics, Diamonds, paper, polish compounds, other stuff...

If its a bread/serrated edge knife you might be better off buying a new one as they are tricky to sharpen.

If it's a good quality bread knife then a sharpen up is all she needs! It's a bit awkward to do serrations but not a huge deal!
    It probably seems a silly thing to say but I hope you aren't using one of those horrible glass/marble chopping boards. While you are getting your sharpener, buy yourself a nice wooden board and some plastic ones for meat

Totally agree, end grain board from TK Maxx and you're away with it!

Plastic for fish and poultry (chickens) and we are out of your kitchen and you are on your own!

If anyone is needing a Pro Sharpener Richie Doyle is the only one I know of.

If you have J-Knives (Japanese steel) I may be able to help you out, but ask Richie first please, it's his bread and butter we are talking about!

I am an enthusiastic amateur cook and knife sharpener, take my advice for what it's worth!

I may have some threads from before the crash, look for musashi and deise musashi before deciding if I can help you and you're knives.

Best of Luck!

Eric (musashi)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

If its a plain straight edge knife its simple to do yourself.

It really is, get an oil or water stone, hold the angle and stroke away to a new sharper edge!
    I bought a kitchen devil sharpener in ardkeen stores and it keeps my knives razor sharp.

I hope it's not one of those carbide wheel sharpeners, those eat steel and make paring knives out of Chef knives!
    Buy a steel also to keep the blade in tip top condition.

I would agree, if you buy a smooth ceramic "steel" that does not eat your good knife!
    Still though, you cant beat a good proper sharpening done on a wheel smile.gif Be aware though that regular sharpening by that method will wear away your knife blade!

What if it's not a wheel? I don't know what Ritchie uses, I might call over to his and find out if he wouldn't mind?

I use all sorts of stuff to edge knives and tools, water stones, ceramics, Diamonds, paper, polish compounds, other stuff...

If it's a good quality bread knife then a sharpen up is all she needs! It's a bit awkward to do serrations but not a huge deal!

It probably seems a silly thing to say but I hope you aren't using one of those horrible glass/marble chopping boards. While you are getting your sharpener, buy yourself a nice wooden board and some plastic ones for meat

Totally agree, end grain board from TK Maxx and you're away with it!

Plastic for fish and poultry (chickens) and we are out of your kitchen and you are on your own!

If anyone is needing a Pro Sharpener Richie Doyle is the only one I know of.

If you have J-Knives (Japanese steel) I may be able to help you out, but ask Richie first please, it's his bread and butter we are talking about!

I am an enthusiastic amateur cook and knife sharpener, take my advice for what it's worth!

I may have some threads from before the crash, look for musashi and deise musashi before deciding if I can help you and you're knives.

Best of Luck!

Eric (musashi)

Advertisement