Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gate automation / Electric Gates help

Options
  • 21-11-2010 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey people, ive been looking around boards and there is no real help thread for this subject so I'm here to help!! If anyone has any questions about gate automation I will do my best to answer them for you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

It's not something that comes up a lot but it generally gets posted in here

• Registered Users Posts: 10 toomuchtime

Hi BFT,
    Just wondering - i have a BFT sub motor,probably 20 years old at this stage, apparently leaking oil.. is it possible or practical to repair ? or should I lift them both out and replace with BFT or even another make ?

I inherited 2 sets of gates(4 bft sub motors ) wired in by stevie wonder, (if he ever came to Ireland) and constantly give trouble.

Trying to get these repaired and rewired is like trying to win the lotto

I cant even release the pressure to use them manually -the BFT pewter
    key just wasnt up to the challange.

any suggestions welcome

tnxs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BFT Automation

Hey toomuchtime,

Apologies for the late response. Repairing leaking oil on hydrualic motors 20 years old is not a practical soloution. What you need is a practical option that will last you for years to come. Can you tell me the size and approx weight of the gate (if you cant guess the weight tell me what the gates are made of, eg timer frame, galvanised steel etc).

The more I know about them the better I can advise you, but the 20 year old motors may have had there time but depending on the size of the gates you may not need to replace the motors with hydraulic motors which the most expensive option.

Once I know more about the gates themselves I can advise you better on a practical soloution that'll best suit you, and also reccomend a company that can help you out.

Regards,

BFT Automation
    Hi BFT,
    Just wondering - i have a BFT sub motor,probably 20 years old at this stage, apparently leaking oil.. is it possible or practical to repair ? or should I lift them both out and replace with BFT or even another make ?

I inherited 2 sets of gates(4 bft sub motors ) wired in by stevie wonder, (if he ever came to Ireland) and constantly give trouble.

Trying to get these repaired and rewired is like trying to win the lotto

I cant even release the pressure to use them manually -the BFT pewter
    key just wasnt up to the challange.

any suggestions welcome

tnxs

• Registered Users Posts: 10 toomuchtime

hi bft
    no worries
    i figured if they lasted 20 years then it was worth investing in new ones !
    they probably are overkill for my set up ( probably 150 kg per gate)
    so i got a local company to replace two knackered ones with new ones ..BFT SUB .. removed all previous wiring by stevie wonder , rewired and install two PCBS (2 sets of gates)
    The gates are cast iorn type , heavy , but at least the box for the SUB was underground
    Happy Days - everything works fine
    ...just waiting on the bill:confused:

thanks again for replying

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ista

hi bft,

i installed faac 770 openers, have 230 at the panel and programmed switches as required. at power up i should have 3 leds stop(is on) but the other 2 opening and closing devices disengaged are not on. i only have closing photocells installed. the rotation and force check will not work when i send a signal????

any idea where i should start.

thanks,
    ista.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

hey bft
    im havin touble programming faac gates, dey r the s418 rams with the e024s control panel with 230vac in and 24vdc out. when i go through da set-up they open fully then close and finally open again. my problem is dey stay open, even though i give them an open pulse, this open pulse is ment to close the gates to the normal position and end the set up. can u please tell me where im goin wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Believer

I have a pair of wooden gates which I would like to automate and also I would like an intercom system installed at the gates. What kind of cost do you think I would be looking at? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Can anyone advise me on which is better. The FAAC s418 or FAAC 391 or BFT IGEA 24v :confused: any help is greatly appreciated can the FAAC come with a separate control board?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

I installed the faac s418 and they seem to be fairly good so far and easy enough to install

I installed the faac s418 and they seem to be fairly good so far and easy enough to install

Could you post a pic?? Did you weld the brackets??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Hi BFT,
    I have a Single wooden gate, it's 8ft long x 3ft high that is very light
    Would love to automate it but it would have to be done above ground as we have new tarmac,
    It has a definite stopping point at both open and close and i was thinking of putting one of those arms on to it
    but i can not afford the best but i'm very unsure of what makes are any good and the best places to buy.
    Thanks

Faac, ditec, liftmaster, fadini and BFT are all very popular.
    If its a single gate you could keep all the electronics to the hinge side of the gate and use the photo cells where only one is required to be connected to the panel the other has a batt that last 2 years and is easily changed. It saves on running wires.. Im trying to decide myself on what one to get ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Faac, ditec, liftmaster, fadini and BFT are all very popular.
    If its a single gate you could keep all the electronics to the hinge side of the gate and use the photo cells where only one is required to be connected to the panel the other has a batt that last 2 years and is easily changed. It saves on running wires.. Im trying to decide myself on what one to get ! :)

Thanks for that info,
    Do you know where i would start to check the prices

Could you pm me what part of the country your in? Kilcullen gates at whitewater newbridge provide FAAC . Www.gatesauto.ie provide Faac ,BFT , liftmaster.
    Liftboy automations provide Fadini :) also remember if the gate is hung in the center of the pillar you may have too use an articulated arm kit if its a wide distance(Faac does an all in one unit ie built in panel)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnhern

Hey people, ive been looking around boards and there is no real help thread for this subject so I'm here to help!! If anyone has any questions about gate automation I will do my best to answer them for you.
    Howdy.....I have BFT subs and was wondering where I could get them overhauled. They are working ok, but have been in situ for 15 years or so....and only need an occasional top up of hydraulic fluid every couple of years. They are horrendously expensive to buy new...In the states they sell kits to rebuild BFT as well as rebuild them...Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks and regards, John H.....Malahide.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

cheaper is replace all for new system, they are horrendously expensive because they no longer available in sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

johnhern wrote: »
    Howdy.....I have BFT subs and was wondering where I could get them overhauled. They are working ok, but have been in situ for 15 years or so....and only need an occasional top up of hydraulic fluid every couple of years. They are horrendously expensive to buy new...In the states they sell kits to rebuild BFT as well as rebuild them...Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks and regards, John H.....Malahide.

tudor engineering might be of help
    Dermot is your man
    http://www.tudorengineers.ie/tudor.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnhern

Are BFT the RollsRoyce of automatic motors (subs)....has anyone got experience of Auto Entry Systems and their equipment? All the best,,

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

johnhern wrote: »
    Are BFT the RollsRoyce of automatic motors (subs)....has anyone got experience of Auto Entry Systems and their equipment? All the best,,

Auto entrys use Ditec gear which is one of if not the best gear available and is all i ever use.They are not hydraulic motors but electromechanical which are far more reliable.

Auto entry systems wont deal with the public either so you will need a vat number to get stuff from them or get them to look at the job for you..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Woodie77

hey, do you know if the gates can be kept open by using the fob control, we have FAAC 770, usually tape over the sensors to keep gates open if needed.

You can change program from automatic closing for push to open push to close, or you can use second button from remote to stop the gate, but your receiver plug in in the board must be 2 channel, or if you have intercom you can fit switch to keep gate open.

Hey, thanks for your reply, we dont have an intercom. How do you do the following you suggested 'You can change program from automatic closing for push to open push to close, or you can use second button from remote to stop the gate, but your receiver plug in in the board must be 2 channel'

You must know what type of control board you have, to do it this, FAAC 770 it's type of underground motor but control board can by some of FAAC model or any other brand, whatever technician has on stock and fit. Can you open control box and made photo of electric board ?

You could wire a switch into the beam so that when open the circuit is broke the gates will stay open

You can change program from automatic closing for push to open push to close, or you can use second button from remote to stop the gate, but your receiver plug in in the board must be 2 channel, or if you have intercom you can fit switch to keep gate open.

Only problem with that is if the beams are broken the gate will reverse and stay open.

Only problem with that is if the beams are broken the gate will reverse and stay open.

Anyway if beam is broken gate never close, and on some control board never open ;)

[IMG][/img]DSC00129-1.jpg

Hi,pic of the panel. Hope the link works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

woodie77
    if you press the control button when the gates start to close,does this stop the gates and leave them in the stopped position until you press the control button again
    some systems do this
    i would not advise you to alter the wiring unless you are really competent

• Advertisement

Hey, when they gates start to close and i hit one of the buttons, it stops the gates from closing but they go the open position again and will close themselves again

Advertisement