Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with new light fitting

Options
  • 21-11-2010 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Hi, I bought a couple of new wall lights for my living room, but am having trouble fitting them. When I removed the original lamps, i discovered there was two live wires, one neutral and one earth connected. Is it normal for there to be two live wires? The two live were twisted together and wired into one clamp. Is this safe? Also, the way the triple clamp is mounted in the back of the new lamps is awkward as it is fixed in place to a metal link for earthing. Would buying a small length of wire be the best way to make this less awkward and what type of wire would be needed?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

christo82 wrote: »
    Hi, I bought a couple of new wall lights for my living room, but am having trouble fitting them. When I removed the original lamps, i discovered there was two live wires, one neutral and one earth connected. Is it normal for there to be two live wires? The two live were twisted together and wired into one clamp. Is this safe? Also, the way the triple clamp is mounted in the back of the new lamps is awkward as it is fixed in place to a metal link for earthing. Would buying a small length of wire be the best way to make this less awkward and what type of wire would be needed?

Thanks

Two live cables usually means a loop between two light that switch on at the same time. or a loop feed cable. Either way don't change anything... it's working.
    Make sure you isolate light circuit at fuse board when carrying out works.

Yes you can extend the existing cable. Use 3 core 0.75mm or 1.5mm flex.
    Pull out the 3 cores from the insulated flex... Outer White Insulation won't be needed.
    Use 3 or 5 amp connectors.. they will not be too large to fit into back of fitting.

Advertisement