Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expansys.ie, insane iphone 4 prices

• 21-11-2010 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

I know they are a bit hard to get at the moment (I know as we trudged around town looking for some yesterday) but i was shocked to see the prices on Expansys.ie

930 for the 16gb
    1000 for 16gb white
    1100 for the 32gb

Direct off apple they are 599 and 699 - how can they expect to sell?

http://www.expansys.ie/s.aspx?search=iphone%204

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Did you try 3 Mobile.

They have stock and for soemthing like €90 a month x 24 months, you get a free iP4/16GB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Solyad wrote: »

Then buy direct from Apple then. Add shipping from the US, then add 25% for VAT and import duty, then find out they won't work here in Ireland because they are tied to US networks and you will have to pay more to get someone to unlock one for you.

Either way if you are after an iP4, get one on a contract. It's not worth it sim free yet. You can get a good deal on second hand sim free 3GS models. Not much difference between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Yeah, actually 3 had stock (plenty the man said) but their PAYG package has some downsides. You get free calls to all networks at weekends but it 35c to all networks during the week.

Myself and herself live in diff cities so free calls to same network is essential 7 days a week.

(looking in dublin)

O2 completely out - stock coming soon but couldnt say when
    Carphone Warehouse said unlikely to get stock again this side of christmas (for 02)
    Meteor don't do them at all.
    Vodafone had bill pay but were out of PAYG iphones (we'd consider moving network so long as we retained free calls)

Another reason for avoiding a long term contract is not sure if we'll move abroad with in the near year or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Then buy direct from Apple then. Add shipping from the US, then add 25% for VAT and import duty, then find out they won't work here in Ireland because they are tied to US networks and you will have to pay more to get someone to unlock one for you.

Or just buy it from the Irish Apple Store :confused:

What are you on about??

This is off the apple irish store!

http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone

02 have micro sim only packages for this reason

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

solyad wrote:
    I know they are a bit hard to get at the moment (I know as we trudged around town looking for some yesterday) but i was shocked to see the prices on Expansys.ie

930 for the 16gb
    1000 for 16gb white
    1100 for the 32gb

Their excuse seems to be that they will ship an iPhone to locations Apple won't. So if you were in one of those locations that Apple don't ship to, you'd have no choice but to pay the Expansys price if you wanted a handset that is factory unlocked and guaranteed brand new.

The pricing is similar on the UK version of the website, so for once it's not just Ireland!
    That's €599 or €699 including VAT and delivery.
    They are shipped by Apple from within the EU so not subject to additional import duty.
    They're also unlocked.

I have bought in the past from expansys - a garmin hiking unit and the price was competitive but this is a joke.

It would put me off using them again, blatant profiteering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I have bought in the past from expansys - a garmin hiking unit and the price was competitive but this is a joke.

It would put me off using them again, blatant profiteering

Expansys = Expenseys as fluckys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Yeah, actually 3 had stock (plenty the man said) but their PAYG package has some downsides. You get free calls to all networks at weekends but it 35c to all networks during the week.

Myself and herself live in diff cities so free calls to same network is essential 7 days a week.

(looking in dublin)

O2 completely out - stock coming soon but couldnt say when
    Carphone Warehouse said unlikely to get stock again this side of christmas (for 02)
    Meteor don't do them at all.
    Vodafone had bill pay but were out of PAYG iphones (we'd consider moving network so long as we retained free calls)

Another reason for avoiding a long term contract is not sure if we'll move abroad with in the near year or so

OK, relationships are great, but are you in contact 24/7 by voice or something?

Use Skype/Yahoo/WLM/AIM, free calls forever and that does not depend on the ISP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

wtf? I thought the white ip4 wasnt out yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Expansys are robbers of the highest order. There was a Pixmania competitor a few years ago called Nomatica, and they were very reasonable. Unfortunately Expansys bought them out, and reasonable prices went out the window. It seems to me that they charge ludicrous prices for most things.:(

OK, relationships are great, but are you in contact 24/7 by voice or something?

Use Skype/Yahoo/WLM/AIM, free calls forever and that does not depend on the ISP.

Skypes needs a data plan or wifi so not a perfect solution but I see what your saying...

Plenty to think about, but for sure we wont be buying from Expansys

Advertisement