Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting posts

Options
  • 21-11-2010 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭

I have just taken a stroll through some of the forums and found three posts that were some way problematical. One was in the wrong forum and two were posts that were duplicated in a couple of forums.

Since I am a natural busybody I wanted to draw the attention of the mods to these posts, but the 'report this post' button was not the way to go. The alternative was to pm a mod, but this involved finding the relevant mod and composing a pm, which was too much trouble :p.

I wonder why we couldn't have a 'Mod, you might like to have a look at this post' button, with an option to put in a couple of words - 'duplicate of post in x forum' for example. Its not a major issue but might help keep boards tidy.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Why was using the "report this post" button not the way to go? The report goes to the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

looksee wrote: »
    I wonder why we couldn't have a 'Mod, you might like to have a look at this post' button, with an option to put in a couple of words - 'duplicate of post in x forum' for example. Its not a major issue but might help keep boards tidy.
    That's exactly what the report post button does! Try it on my post and put text of "testing" on it to see what happens. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Maybe because the text on the report post page says:
    Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts, or signatures which breach the guidelines.

That sounds very different from "Mod, you might like to have a look at this post".

We might need to edit that, it's a little too focussed and doesn't cover all the bases imo. Mods need to be told of duplicate posts (kinda covered by the 'spam' clause though) and it's nice to know if there's a thread that shouldn't be in your forum in case you miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Does 'Mods you might want to have a look at this' not equate to 'problematic'?

• Advertisement

It might do, only it seems to define problematic as "ONLY ... (harassment, fighting, or rude)".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Because when someone reports a post, a mod instantly gets an e-mail notification.
    The reported post also creates a thread in the reported posts forum.

If mod decides to act on a reported post, they will generally make a not of their actions in the relevant thread.
    If a reported post is deemed not worthy of action, then one of the mods of whatever forum will leave a note in the reported post. On occasion a mod may send a PM to the person who reported the post and explain why it was not acted on.

Reminding a mod that you have reported a post only serves to piss them off (although I'm only talking from personal experience here).

If you think a post should be reported, then do so. If the mods don't act on it, it's usually because they don't think that there is anything wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Overheal wrote: »
    Feedback > Reporting posts - post by looksee reported by Overheal

Overheal has reported a post.

Reason:
    test
    Forum: Feedback
    Assigned Moderators: LoLth, Trojan

Posted by: looksee
    Original Content:
    I have just taken a stroll through some of the forums and found three posts that were some way problematical. One was in the wrong forum and two were posts that were duplicated in a couple of forums.

Since I am a natural busybody I wanted to draw the attention of the mods to these posts, but the 'report this post' button was not the way to go. The alternative was to pm a mod, but this involved finding the relevant mod and composing a pm, which was too much trouble tongue.gif.

That is exactly what a reported post looks like when it goes to a back-end forum. Each post generates a new thread in the Reported posts forum. If multiple users report the same Post, it shows up as a response in the first report's thread. A copy of this is also emailed to the mods of the forum it was reported in.

You have as much space to write whatever you need as part of your report, in case you want to include links to other posts in your reports. For example, if you want to highlight that a poster is harassing you across several threads its easier to verify that if you include links to those threads. This is also another good way to save time, as you have to wait 60 seconds between reported posts so for example if you need to reported several problems you can basically say in one report "This is personal abuse. Also there is personal abuse in Posts #34, #45 and #89".
    Gordon wrote: »
    We might need to edit that, it's a little too focused and doesn't cover all the bases imo. Mods need to be told of duplicate posts (kinda covered by the 'spam' clause though) and it's nice to know if there's a thread that shouldn't be in your forum in case you miss it.
    Definitely. Users should use Reports to advise the forum mods of virtually any kind of problem in a forum that needs their attention. Duplicate threads that need to be merged into others, etc. etc.

Terry wrote: »
    Because when someone reports a post, a mod instantly gets an e-mail notification.
    The reported post also creates a thread in the reported posts forum.

If mod decides to act on a reported post, they will generally make a not of their actions in the relevant thread.
    If a reported post is deemed not worthy of action, then one of the mods of whatever forum will leave a note in the reported post. On occasion a mod may send a PM to the person who reported the post and explain why it was not acted on.

Reminding a mod that you have reported a post only serves to piss them off (although I'm only talking from personal experience here).

If you think a post should be reported, then do so. If the mods don't act on it, it's usually because they don't think that there is anything wrong with it.

I might be wrong, but I think the OP said that s/he didn't report the post at all because it didn't seem appropriate - possibly because the text doesn't make it sound like you can report posts that aren't abusive or spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

eoin wrote: »
    I might be wrong, but I think the OP said that s/he didn't report the post at all because it didn't seem appropriate - possibly because the text doesn't make it sound like you can report posts that aren't abusive or spam.

Yes, eoin, that was exactly it. I could have reported the post, and have done on occasion for spam and advertising, but the message seems quite specific about what is and is not to be posted, as you said, it needs broadening a bit.

I presume that the original intention was not to have random side debates and 'this poster has gone off topic' type post reported, but even then, why not? Whats the difference between reporting and sending a pm? In fact reporting would keep the message concise rather than a rambling pm.

• Advertisement

Yes, eoin, that was exactly it. I could have reported the post, and have done on occasion for spam and advertising, but the message seems quite specific about what is and is not to be posted, as you said, it needs broadening a bit.

I presume that the original intention was not to have random side debates and 'this poster has gone off topic' type post reported, but even then, why not? Whats the difference between reporting and sending a pm? In fact reporting would keep the message concise rather than a rambling pm.
    That's a fair point, I've suggested it to the mod team to see if we can come up with something that fits for every reasoning.

I think it's just the standard wording for this forum software. I get reported posts a good bit for minor reasons e.g. posts are a little off-topic, should be moved to a different forum and so on. It's not a problem at all, and is generally quite helpful.

Advertisement