Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Greann' in Cearrbhach Mac Caba...?

• 21-11-2010 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi I've a homework question that I'm finding difficult. I need to do a bit on where humour is found in the story cearrbhach mac caba..... help:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

Our teacher had a hard time explaining why is was funny too but maintained it was absolutely hilarious, i guess the tricks he plays on death are kind of funny? and the way he keeps tricking him again and again?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

as far as I can remember its:
    when death gets stuck to the tree
    when an cearrbhach tells god that he never did anything for him
    the fact that he gets kicked out of hell for being too good at cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Eva990

thanks!

I found it funny that it was absolutely ridiculous for someone to be able to walk down the road TWICE and to bump into God and Death on seperate journeys, and yet its still one of the Irish languages greatest literary articles. Translate that to Irish and you've got a sure fire A.

Another one could have been how he saved the man on his death bed by swapping the bed around so that Death was at the foot of the bed so that he could save the rich bastard and get money from it.

You could also say it is funny in a sadistic way how Death fools the Gambler into thinking he was being sound to a little boy who was praying and forgot his Prayer so the gambler lahd helped him, yet it was death being a right oul prick and getting his own back. I found that sort of funny.

Imagine, I knew all that and all I got in my leaving for the Irish was a D1, people say the Economy is ****ed, I say my leaving cert markers are. **** you, you 54.8% bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

What might have been found amusing back when it was first told isn't quite amusing now...... but! It's not that hard to try and seem what is an attempt at humour.

Just like Fiche Bhlian Ag Fas..... in my answers for it, I went to great lengths to say I lol'd at them buying sweets after they had their pints, but the secret is.... (I never actually laughed :eek:)

• Advertisement

Its how you succeed in the leaving cert. You lie.

For English write an essay about how you were an abortion which survived, sure fire A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Fad wrote: »
    What might have been found amusing back when it was first told isn't quite amusing now...... but! It's not that hard to try and seem what is an attempt at humour.

Just like Fiche Bhlian Ag Fas..... in my answers for it, I went to great lengths to say I lol'd at them buying sweets after they had their pints, but the secret is.... (I never actually laughed :eek:)

That's pretty much the way you're expected to answer the whole Poetry and Prose section. I'm getting sick of saying how deep and meaningful Cathal O' Searcaigh's images of Christ are in Magdilena when in reality I think he just threw in the word Calvary to make it look deep and it actually makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Ok so An Cearrbhach Mac Caba.

I'll give you a some sample points that you can expand on or leave alone if it's to an ordinary level standard!

Greann in An Cearrbhach Mac Caba:

Tá sé greannmhar gach uair a bhuail an Cearrbhach bob ar an mBás.Bhí sé greannmhar nuair a chás sé an leaba timpeall.Bhí sé greannmhar .uair a bhí an Bás greammaithe don chrann.Bhí sé greannmhar muair a chaith na diabhail an Cearrbhach amach as ifreann mar bhí sé ag imirt cártaí.

That's the basic outline of humour in this story!

If anyone else needs more detailed higher standard explanations of this or any other storis, poems ,just post the questions up and i'll get to them when I can;)

Advertisement