Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easter Rising quote

Options
  • 21-11-2010 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

conas atá sibh?

Im doin some research for a piece im writting and there is a particular quote im thinking of. Thing is I cant remember who said it (though I do know it was one of the signatories, Pearse maybe). I cant rember it but the general gist of it was, they will hate us at first (the Dublin public) but then we will become martyrs/ they will think of us as martyrs. ie. public opinion swaying. does anyone know the exact quote wording/who said it?

go raibh maith agaibh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Maybe this is the one you're looking for, via the BBC:

"When we are all wiped out, people will blame us…In a few years they will see the meaning of what we tried to do."

It was said by Pearse.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Stink on the inside

Hope Fianna Fáil dont try use this one in an upcoming speech.
    Maybe attempting to counteract the historical references that have been made lately to them and the signatories of the 1916 rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Always thought Mark Twains quote were very apt when speaking of the Easter rising. You might be able to use this too.

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Gael Uirbeach

Maybe this is the one you're looking for, via the BBC:

"When we are all wiped out, people will blame us…In a few years they will see the meaning of what we tried to do."

It was said by Pearse.

thats the one, go raibh maith agaibh

Advertisement