Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Nitelink full!

• 21-11-2010 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Did anybody try to get on 4am 67N bus from Westmoreland St on Saturday (20th/21st Nov). Told bus was full before 4am so "tough luck" even though I had already purchased a ticket. Apparently pre-purchased tickets are for "a" bus but not any right to board the bus you want (?). Left stranded in town to get €43 taxi fare home

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Wasnt on it but i have to say thats a load of bol?lox what happened to ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

elbon wrote:
    Apparently pre-purchased tickets are for "a" bus but not any right to board the bus you want (?)

That's correct. They're just generic tickets that are on sale everywhere. You could buy one in a newsagents and then use it on a bus a week later. You're not booking a seat when you buy one.

The ticket you bought on Saturday will still be valid next time you go to use a Nitelink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 elbon

Got to bus at 3.55, bus pulling off, was told bus was full so it was leaving. This has happened to me before but another bus has been made available to take extra passengers. According to Nitelink timetable * departure times may be more frequent depending on demand* There were about 10/15 people left waiting after the last bus pulled out- had to get 25N to Lucan- not much use if you live in Celbridge/Maynooth. Pretty poor service considering it only operates 3 buses on the 67 route twice per week

The chaos that ensued should have been enough to tell Dublin Bus to put another bus on. Gardai called, arrests made etc etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,809 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It is a pso service. Dublin bus would have beencompensated for special overtime to run this extra service. There is no excuse for this carry on.

• Advertisement

Pso service?? What is that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Public Service Obligation, its on your gas and ESB bills, not sure it applies to nite links though.

Nitelink is a subsidised service. Dublin bus are under a contract to supply an adequate service.

Thanks! Certainly no public service obligation evident last night. Dublin Bus rep stood by as people sat on the road in front of the bus to prevent it leaving without them and then watched as they were dragged across the street and forcibly arrested. The answer to all enquiries was "take it up with Dublin Bus on Monday morning"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,198 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Nitelink is a subsidised service. Dublin bus are under a contract to supply an adequate service.

Nitelink is actually not covered for PSO; it is a privately offered service by Dublin Bus and is run without State subvention or subsidy, hence it being a higher priced limited service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Nightlink is not a PSO service, if it was it would accept free travel passes.

If you want to sit on a public road you will get arrested

Moral of the story, show up in good time for the bus particularly when its the very last bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That was true until some time ago. The conditions have since changed and they're allowed run it as a subsidized service.

Showing up early for a bus is not really a solution to the problem of there not being enough capacity.

If you don't want this to happen again write to your local TD urgently and complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

elbon wrote: »
    Left stranded in town to get €43 taxi fare home

had to get 25N to Lucan

I would have been seriously p****d off if that happened to me.
    For clarification did you get a taxi home from the city centre or Lucan, if from Lucan that taxi fare is very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Sorry to hear that OP.

That doesn't sound right at all. You should get them to pay for the taxi as well as your money back!

To clarify:
    I was on time for the bus, it departed early as it was full (on previous occasions when this has happened an additional bus was put on- as per the statement on the timetable- that buses may be more frequent depending on demand- I would think that owing to the rugby match yesterday that it would be obvious that demand for the service would be increased)
    The taxi fare was from the city centre.
    Thankfully I was not on my own as I would certainly not get a taxi to Celbridge alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

While I feel sorry for the OP, they are not obliged to put on extra buses - to be fair if a regular scheduled departure is full they do not put additional buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Just a suggestion: get the (much more frequent) 66N to Leixlip and get a cab to Maynooth or Celbridge in the event that they won't let you on the 67N.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

That was true until some time ago. The conditions have since changed and they're allowed run it as a subsidized service.

@ Stark,I`m not so sure that`s the case with the current Nitelink services.

My understanding is that Airlink,Nitelink and the Dublin Bus City Tour services are NOT considered within the PSO remit.

If you have a link to anything official re a change please post it ?

However,I have great sympathy with elbon for that occurence.

When I operated on the Nitelinks it was generally regarded as a given that the street would be cleared by the last departure.
    Many times I would have seen drivers and buses being redirected back into town to clear a load of stragglers.

Sadly,with the last rationalization/survival plan came changes to Nitelink`s operational arrangements which now sees them operated as stand alone duties by far fewer drivers.

There is now virtually no overtime cover to allow for extra departures on occassions such as last Saturday.

Therefore once the Bus was Full...It was Full...Game-Over.

If one adds this experience to the ongoing experiences of Network Direct customers one may see a pattern developing,which essentially sees the Return of the Queue !

Anybody walking through Dublin City Centre these days must surely notice this very 1950`s phenomena recurring at Stops now catering for Network Directed routes....:eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

people sat on the road in front of the bus to prevent it leaving without them and then watched as they were dragged across the street and forcibly arrested.

Can you clarify this part of the story? If the bus was full what exactly did these muppets hope to accomplish by delaying its departure?

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote: »
    @ Stark,I`m not so sure that`s the case with the current Nitelink services.

My understanding is that Airlink,Nitelink and the Dublin Bus City Tour services are NOT considered within the PSO remit.

If you have a link to anything official re a change please post it ?

check the public service contracts on the NTA website. Nitelink is included.

No reputable public transport operator will abandon passengers in the middle of the night except for the most grave operational reasons.

This is especially the case when the operator are guaranteed by statute and EU law to be compensated for any costs.

I don't think they were muppets- just people standing up for themselves and ultimately paying the price. There was no attempt by Dublin Bus to engage with the punters-it was simply a case of "it's not my problem- take it up with Dublin Bus on Monday" Perhaps before judgement is made you should consider that perhaps people didn't have ~€50 for a taxi, a knowledge of nearby bus routes, the confidence to sit alone in a cab for a 13 mile journey. Essentially, it was a case of "Good enough for you", is that not what many posts are disagreeing to on other threads- that we should accept our lot?? My understanding is that this is meant to be a public service. Would we be so compacent if our energy suppliers decided that the public demand at any one time is too much so therefore you have no electricity tonight?? Or am I being over simpistic??

check the public service contracts on the NTA website. Nitelink is included.

No reputable public transport operator will abandon passengers in the middle of the night except for the most grave operational reasons.

This is especially the case when the operator are guaranteed by statute and EU law to be compensated for any costs.

Whether or not the service is in the NTA contract, it DID operate. If Dublin Bus started operating auxiliary departures on the 41x because buses were full you would be the first person to start complaining.

I don't think that the contract obliges DB to operate auxiliary services to the 67N.

Perhaps there was no bus/driver available to operate an extra service?

It was the middle of the night. A large group of young people were left stranded in the middle of the city without any money. This is a reckless, shameful thing to do.

You make a spiteful, personal and entirely groundless and irrelevant attack on me rather than addressing the issue.

Then you are supposing that the biggest bus company in the state couldn't find a single vehicle coming off a shift to cover this.

It was the middle of the night. A large group of young people were left stranded in the middle of the city without any money. This is a reckless, shameful thing to do.

You make a spiteful, personal and entirely groundless and irrelevant attack on me rather than addressing the issue.

Then you are supposing that the biggest bus company in the state couldn't find a single vehicle coming off a shift to cover this.

With respect I not making any personal attack on you other to point out that you have been rather judicious in the past in when you criticise Dublin Bus and when you don't, mostly to suit your own agenda, which of course you are perfectly free to do.

No it's not good that people were left behind, but the company is not obliged to operate auxiliary services. You are implying that they are. There may well have been no bus/staff available - all of the last departures go at the same time.

You are blatantly trotting out your corporate agenda. Specifically in this case, you are defending the indefensible.

You think I need to be driving my own agenda to criticise a company which did something completely reckless.

I was not talking about legal obligations. I am talking about ordinary common decency. And why would DB not run an auxiliary service when it knows it is guaranteed by law to get paid for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

At the end of the day it's up to you to look after yourself.
    I often drove the last departure on the 84n to Graystones at 04.00 and without fail as the bus was leaving people whould arrive.
    If you are travelling such a distance you should arrive early instead of trying to ramm another pint down your neck!! . You can't expect Dublin Bus to try and get another bus out of thin air when they're not oblidged too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Tickityboo wrote: »
    You can't expect Dublin Bus to try and get another bus out of thin air when they're not oblidged too.
    Let us not forget that DB is run for the convenience of the staff and not the customers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The problem that night was the bus left early due to being full so arriving early for it would make little difference. From what I have read here there were significant numbers left stranded by Dublin bus at 4am many without cash for a taxi or nobody available at home to collect them. This is not good from a company like Dublin bus.
    Tickityboo wrote: »
    At the end of the day it's up to you to look after yourself.
    I often drove the last departure on the 84n to Graystones at 04.00 and without fail as the bus was leaving people whould arrive.
    If you are travelling such a distance you should arrive early instead of trying to ramm another pint down your neck!! . You can't expect Dublin Bus to try and get another bus out of thin air when they're not oblidged too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

n97 mini wrote: »
    Let us not forget that DB is run for the convenience of the staff and not the customers!

I wish!!

Tell that to my wife and kids!!.whom I very rarely see because of the crap hours i have to do.
    Because of the working time directive and the fact that the nightlinks are rostered now as opposed to overtime is probably the reason for no other bus being provided.

Advertisement