Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Nitelink full!

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 elbon

Sorry Victor, but where are you getting the €900 from? Do you think 70 more passengers were going to magically appear bang on 4am? The OP has said there were 15 there at 355, he has not stated that some sort of Zulu Dawn like horde decended on the stop at 4am to cry for a lift home from mammy.

To the OP, I was certainly not expecting you to hang around at the bus-stop between 215 and 355 but I'd love to know where you got another drink at that time!

4 Dame Lane. Last orders at 3am. Out the door by 3.20am in perfect time for 4am bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

How were they to know until just before 4am that there was additional demand for the service? The OP bought his ticket at 215am why did he wait until 355 to get to the bus stop?

As the OP himself has mentioned, there was no departure between 2am and 4am, so why wait around at the stop for nearly two hours?
    DB never provide extra buses if a particular departure is full, be it regular service, xpressos, or nitelinks.

It's understandable them not providing extra departures for regularly scheduled services during the day, but seriously, if you're the last bus of the night and you're full, are you really advised to just leave the other passengers behind and not give two titties about how on earth they're going to get back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

elbon wrote: »
    4 Dame Lane. Last orders at 3am. Out the door by 3.20am in perfect time for 4am bus!

Excellent, now I know where to go. Well, you had plenty of time to get to the bus at 345/350 which meant you'd have got on the bus.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    As the OP himself has mentioned, there was no departure between 2am and 4am, so why wait around at the stop for nearly two hours?

It's understandable them not providing extra departures for regularly scheduled services during the day, but seriously, if you're the last bus of the night and you're full, are you really advised to just leave the other passengers behind and not give two titties about how on earth they're going to get back?

If you read my later post I obviously didn't mean for him to hang around between 2 and 4 just to get there more than 5 minutes before the bus was due to leave would make more sense to me.

With regard to your second point with all the cost savings Dublin Bus are doing it makes no sense for spare buses to be kept on standby on the odd chance that a dozen or so people might not be able to get on. It's not Dublin Bus' job to get everyone home from town, there are other options, there's also the option of taking personal responsibility by getting to the bus stop a little bit early to make sure you get onto the bus.

Two weeks prior to this incident, I was in town with some friends. I left them at 3.30 in order to be in plenty of time for my bus. Standing at the bus stop, having departed from my friends so that they could get their own buses (in plenty of time also!) I had to put up with 20 minutes of every drunken p**** who passed by thinking they could hit on me/grope me (I am female btw to all you presumptuous posters ;-)). Whilst the bus was at the stop, the driver did not open the doors until 3.50am (which is fair enough) by which time I had to ask the group of people standing next to me if I could stand in their group in order to avoid this situation and feel safe............so there my good friends is my perfectly valid reason for arriving at the bus stop at 3.55am! I have never gotten on a Nitelink more than 15 minutes (max) before departure-and before all of you DB bus drivers make any more justifications-I understand the reason for this.

• Advertisement

Excellent, now I know where to go. Well, you had plenty of time to get to the bus at 345/350 which meant you'd have got on the bus.

Not necessarily, when the door opens at 3.50 there is usually quite a rush to get on, it's dog eat dog-I have never witnessed orderly queuing for the Nitelink-on any route!. There were people left on the pavement who had been at the stop before I arrived, not sure exactly what time though as it wasn't a priority for me to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Whilst the bus was at the stop, the driver did not open the doors until 3.50am (which is fair enough) by which time I had to ask the group of people standing next to me if I could stand in their group in order to avoid this situation and feel safe............so there my good friends is my perfectly valid reason for arriving at the bus stop at 3.55am! I have never gotten on a Nitelink more than 15 minutes (max) before departure-and before all of you DB bus drivers make any more justifications-I understand the reason for this.

As a DB driver making observations on this thread I would be in agreement with Elbon on the broader issue of general order at the NItelink terminus triangle.
    Not necessarily, when the door opens at 3.50 there is usually quite a rush to get on, it's dog eat dog-I have never witnessed orderly queuing for the Nitelink-on any route!.

I would certainly concur with this description of general queuing procedures in Dublin at any time.

However,this is down to a somewhat lazy approach to the entire field of Bus Stop design and construction and the lack of any form of restraining/containment for intending passengers.

There is an entire field of psychology devoted to the behaviour patterns of individuals in group situations and I suspect there may well be a Thesis or Two to be written on the IRISH aspect of it.

Unfortunately the maintenance of good order and discipline in a group situation depends on somebody else imposing it and current company policy appears not to favour any sort of pro-active approach to that....mind you that only reflects experiences in the Courts over the years where the freedom of individuals to be...well...individual..appears to be highly valued by the Judiciary...;)

However Elbon,I do hope you communicated your experience to DB Head Office as well as you have posted it here as I would be interested in hearing of the Corporate Response ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

I have to say I'm disgusted with "the passenger learned a lesson" approach that some posters have on this thread.

I'm a fella (username probably makes that obvious;)), but if at all possible I always wait until the last minute to go for my nitelink on Westmorland Street. If I have to wait for a Nitelink, I get junkies, roma gypsies etc. very intimidatingly demand change or cigarettes off me as I'm on my own. I can only imagine what it's like for a female having to deal with not only with what I deal with but also idiot drunken males who think groping and the like is harmless fun.

Elbon should arrive at her nitelink bus stop at anytime before 4am and should be able to get on her bus. Let's leave this nonsense of having to stand at a freezing cold bus stop 15 minutes before departure out of the discussion. Arriving 15 minutes early is for intercity trains, not for city bus services!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

My local in Kildare keeps those hours:D
    AlekSmart wrote: »
    I would certainly concur with this description of general queuing procedures in Dublin at any time.

However,this is down to a somewhat lazy approach to the entire field of Bus Stop design and construction and the lack of any form of restraining/containment for intending passengers.

There is an entire field of psychology devoted to the behaviour patterns of individuals in group situations and I suspect there may well be a Thesis or Two to be written on the IRISH aspect of it.

Unfortunately the maintenance of good order and discipline in a group situation depends on somebody else imposing it and current company policy appears not to favour any sort of pro-active approach to that....mind you that only reflects experiences in the Courts over the years where the freedom of individuals to be...well...individual..appears to be highly valued by the Judiciary...;)

However Elbon,I do hope you communicated your experience to DB Head Office as well as you have posted it here as I would be interested in hearing of the Corporate Response ?
    Nevermind building bus stops that are designed to entice or coax people into an orderly que, the country and Dublin Bus are broke so this rubbish wont fly!

How about an inspector going along and telling people to get into an orderly que or no bus will come for them? This used to work in the 90's so i dont see how it would not work this or any weekend night.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Victor wrote: »
    The flip side would be that if an extra bus was available* the two buses between them would have earned perhaps €600.
    Sorry Victor, but where are you getting the €900 from?
    €600! That is, more than 100 people (on the two buses) at €5 each. Admittedly there would be some people with annual tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Nevermind building bus stops that are designed to entice or coax people into an orderly que, the country and Dublin Bus are broke so this rubbish wont fly!

Maybe rubbish to your way of thinking Foggy_Lad,but some form of thought being utilized in infrastructural design would be to facilitate rather than encourage or coax...:)
    How about an inspector going along and telling people to get into an orderly que or no bus will come for them? This used to work in the 90's so i dont see how it would not work this or any weekend night.

I`d largely agree with Foggy_Lad`s suggestion on this,as long as it was a Garda Inspector doing the telling.....:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Maybe rubbish to your way of thinking Foggy_Lad,but some form of thought being utilized in infrastructural design would be to facilitate rather than encourage or coax...:)

I`d largely agree with Foggy_Lad`s suggestion on this,as long as it was a Garda Inspector doing the telling.....:)
    Back when people still had respect for others and their property and also for themselves they would do as a bus inspector or any person in authority told them, for fear that someone they knew would see tham as drunken yobs/thugs/hooligans etc,

But these wonderful times people are non-caring and have this "i can do what i want" attitude and will not do as they are told even when for the good of the community/society. This attitude is the downfall of society as we know it.

Two weeks prior to this incident, I was in town with some friends. I left them at 3.30 in order to be in plenty of time for my bus. Standing at the bus stop, having departed from my friends so that they could get their own buses (in plenty of time also!) I had to put up with 20 minutes of every drunken p**** who passed by thinking they could hit on me/grope me (I am female btw to all you presumptuous posters ;-)). Whilst the bus was at the stop, the driver did not open the doors until 3.50am (which is fair enough) by which time I had to ask the group of people standing next to me if I could stand in their group in order to avoid this situation and feel safe............so there my good friends is my perfectly valid reason for arriving at the bus stop at 3.55am! I have never gotten on a Nitelink more than 15 minutes (max) before departure-and before all of you DB bus drivers make any more justifications-I understand the reason for this.

Sorry hadn't considered this aspect at all....

Advertisement