Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCAVAGING FOREST FLOOR

• 21-11-2010 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

i read somewhere one time that there is an old law that allows people to scavange the forest floor and collect old fallen trees and branches for your own domestic use.

can anyone confirm this?

what are the implications of doing this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

you can do that in the uk, but I don't think you can do it here

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

I sure you could as long as you have the following ,
    Insurance to do the following ,
    Health & saftey statement ,
    Site specific statement ,
    Method statement ,
    Risk assement ,
    SWSP ,
    And written permision from the land owner .
    Cant see how its worth it .
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

colrow wrote: »

Sure you can, travellers are at it everyday in the abbey down the road from our house thats just been felled. Having said that, the logs they leave on the ground is a sin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

That would explain why he is calling the ground the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

That would explain why he is calling the ground the floor.

.....as opposed to calling it the "forest ground" as we Celts would say?????

Right.

LostCovey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

ok then i will call it the ground if it makes it any clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

If you were scavaging any forest floor of forestry that I own, I would consider it to be theft from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭PANADOL

i read somewhere one time that there is an old law that allows people to scavange the forest floor and collect old fallen trees and branches for your own domestic use.

can anyone confirm this?

what are the implications of doing this
    stop being such a hippie/ you sound like one of those tir na saor free man lu las , why would a farmer let you in on his land and risk liability

a farmer has asked me to remove 2 trees from his land and when i asked him this same question he reckons that it is an old law that still exists as long as you don't climb a fence or cut down a living tree

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Trees trimmed on the N4 by the local authority were being logged and taken by passers by on Sunday passed.

• Advertisement

a farmer has asked me to remove 2 trees from his land and when i asked him this same question he reckons that it is an old law that still exists as long as you don't climb a fence or cut down a living tree

If you come onto my land and take anything from it without my permission, whether its growing or on the ground, its considered theft. It doesn't matter if you open the gate, jump the fence or airlift it out. You could be charged with theft. This law may exist for National Parks in the UK, but it does not exist for private forestry in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

...... and now legally, you can use 'resonable force' to protect your property.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

reilig wrote: »
    If you come onto my land and take anything from it without my permission, whether its growing or on the ground, its considered theft. It doesn't matter if you open the gate, jump the fence or airlift it out. You could be charged with theft. This law may exist for National Parks in the UK, but it does not exist for private forestry in Ireland.

What if they asked you first?

busman wrote: »
    What if they asked you first?

Of course.

My neighbour tells me when he's got blown trees and I collect them, suits us both I get free firewood and exercise, he gets his mess cleared up.

My neighbour tells me when he's got blown trees and I collect them, suits us both I get free firewood and exercise, he gets his mess cleared up.

Sure is, but if you went onto your neighbours land without asking him or him tellin you that you could then it would be stealing. Just to make the point to the OP.

Oh yes, totally agree there, when I first came here I asked him if it was ok to go in the foretry and collect dead trees etc, he put me wise to that lots of it is private, and a crop like other stuff grown on farms, so it would be stealing.

We've had to let go of our few animals, and he uses our fields for his sheep n cattle, in return for a trailer of turf a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

there is a local park managed by the opw and there are some lovley trees after been cut down recently. I was thinking of approaching the park amnager and seeing would he sell them. what do yous think? i see there is a tree felling company there so they could be asked to take them away either. In the past when the felled tress i noticed they got the tree cutting firm to shred up the smaller bist which werre sused for foothpaths

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭DonnchaMc

I know this is an old thread but i might get a reply..

If somone came onto your land and took a fallen tree (or part of it) you would consider it steeling?

WHY?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

DonnchaMc wrote: »

If somone came onto your land and took a fallen tree (or part of it) you would consider it steeling?

WHY?
    Well straight up there's insurance liabilities, if you had an accident.
    Then, maybe the owner wanted it for his own firewood. How'd you feel if i came into your yard and robbed sticks out of your garage/bunker etc.... And your trespassing. If you were caught by the auld fella in a certain mood you'd be leaving with a few grains of lead implanted in certain areas too:D

• Advertisement

WHY?

If someone came onto your land and took
    ......anything, I would consider it stealing.

Irish people (not just farmers) are funny like that about people "coming onto" and "taking".

LC

found out today that if it is a coilte run plantation, you can go and lift what is dead, or blown down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I once scavanged a 2009 Toyota Avensis from a Forestry... twas great.

found out today that if it is a coilte run plantation, you can go and lift what is dead, or blown down.

But you can't use a chainsaw there unless you have insurance and chainsaw safety cert so blown down wood would be hard to recover. Coillte won't even allow a person who buys wood from them to split the logs in 2 on the forest site to make them easier to transport, so they will hardly let a scavanger do it.

Most coillte forests will have a sign up saying that cutting wood or removing fallen branches on the specific site and these signs normally state that prosecution will be brought against anyone caught doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

WHY?

I'll fix your post....

Steeling:The process of pointing, edging, or overlaying with steel.
    This it is not.

Stealing: The illegal taking of another persons property without that persons freely given consent..........

Yep, more like it. I would consider it stealing in this case.

WHY?

It would be considered both trespassing and stealing.

Why??

Because if you go onto someone's land without permission, then its trespassing. If you take something that is growing, has been growing or has been left on their land, it is criminal theft ie. Stealing. And you can be criminally prosecuted for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

WHY?

Surely this is a TROLL as nobody would be 5tupid enough not to understand this would be illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

WHY?
    If i came into your kitchen and took a fallen wallet would you consider it stealing:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cathaloc

WHY?

At the moment, we are in the middle of reclaiming about 35 acres. Because of this, there are about 50-60 fallen trees all stacked up. To the good lifer, they may look like they are abandoned and fair play for taking under some silly law, but they are there seasoning. I've already thrown one gob****e off the property for landing on with a chainsaw and a trailer, without permission or an invitation. I would say this is why a lot of farmers would consider it stealing.

• Advertisement

cathaloc wrote: »
    At the moment, we are in the middle of reclaiming about 35 acres. Because of this, there are about 50-60 fallen trees all stacked up. To the good lifer, they may look like they are abandoned and fair play for taking under some silly law, but they are there seasoning. I've already thrown one gob****e off the property for landing on with a chainsaw and a trailer, without permission or an invitation. I would say this is why a lot of farmers would consider it stealing.

I see what you mean but if they were mine I would let them season after they are cut up and chopped up.

Your chainsaw and spine will thank you for it. And they would be indoors, where they wouldn't tempt silly people.

Advertisement