Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Ballymun/Santry?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

irishbird wrote: »
    Hi OP,

if you take a wander around ballymun, you can see straight away which are the nicer areas - its pretty obvious.

I know a lot of people working in Swords and living in Santry Wood, so have a look around there.

Santry Wood is completely private development and therefore really out of OPs budget. I agree its nicer. But basically OP is suggesting living in the cheapest appartments which were originally for ex Ballymun Flats people.

During the day - its not a nice place at night

Its fine. I live around the corner from it. I used to study in DCU and went to the Gym in Swords, I know from getting the 17A everyday that the areas around Ballymun Village were dodgy.

In comparison Charlestown is alot safer. Being an attractive young female, ive never had any problems walking around there at night and my school friends live there. Ive had far more problems walking around the streets of Bordeaux or Cambridge at night.

Sure most of that Shopping Centre Appartments look empty!!! Not many people moved into them, so Im sure there will not be many people to give you hassle. At nighttime there is no reason for people to be around that area, because there are no pubs or nightclubs nearby. And if people are coming back from pubs they are getting taxi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

magneticimpulse, stop hogging the thread, its unbecoming, just like the name dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

2 men shot dead near the Clearwater in Finglas.

That has put me right off Finglas!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ck1970

morning all , and just to put you wide on santry cross apartments , Have lived there for last 12 months and to be honest lease just up and dying to get out its like Afghanistan there at nite and come the weekdends kids hanging around ( and totally agree with poster re rubbish outside apts and in stairwellss and and as 4 parking esp the underground car park its a nightmare and entry and exit at your peril there has been several cars broken in 2 recently and 1 burnt out resembling a war zone sometimes , The fire alarms dont seen to work and complex on hamptons side is not very well kept ( other side days hotel much better as per other poster i agree ) litter, kids , drugs , car parking major probs constantly having 2 park on road or elsewhere as spaces always full as work late shift and finish after midnite ,there is security on site i think they are there nite times only, and try there best but as i said at start of post ... Stay Well away ... Im moving to Swords .. :eek:

• Advertisement

ck1970 wrote: »
    morning all , and just to put you wide on santry cross apartments , Have lived there for last 12 months and to be honest lease just up and dying to get out its like Afghanistan there at nite and come the weekdends kids hanging around ( and totally agree with poster re rubbish outside apts and in stairwellss and and as 4 parking esp the underground car park its a nightmare and entry and exit at your peril there has been several cars broken in 2 recently and 1 burnt out resembling a war zone sometimes , The fire alarms dont seen to work and complex on hamptons side is not very well kept ( other side days hotel much better as per other poster i agree ) litter, kids , drugs , car parking major probs constantly having 2 park on road or elsewhere as spaces always full as work late shift and finish after midnite ,there is security on site i think they are there nite times only, and try there best but as i said at start of post ... Stay Well away ... Im moving to Swords .. :eek:

Hi CK,

Would you say all the apartments in Santry Cross are nightmare or just the Turnpike, Maieston and Hamptons (or is that all of them - I am clueless)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ck1970

Hiya Monife , Just to state not all the apts are bad its just seem to be on the linnbhfla / charter/ hamptons side which is wide open have a mate who live on otherside of road much quieter and wish i had shared with them instead aah well ... To sum up i cant wait to get out of here even this am theres kidsn junkies hanging around and would gladly pay an extra few euro to be comfortable and safe elsewhere only a week 2 go before im outa dodge .. there is a phone number for a security co on gate around place if you like i get it for you and pass it on . ck:cool::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The apartments beside the hotel are gated and much more secure than the Turnpike/Maiseton/Charter/Linbhla/Hamptons.

Monife wrote: »
    2 men shot dead near the Clearwater in Finglas.

That has put me right off Finglas!!

Exactly, then why do you want to move to Ballymun??? Ballymun is worse then finglas...you just have to walk around the 2 and see they are equally similar. It also reflects is the price of rent as you have seen...the rent in Ballymun is cheaper then in Finglas. You are paying relative to what really reflects the area. If the appartments are 750 euro which you are looking at, and 1000 euro everywhere else in Dublin...well that really says alot!!! Of course they would charge more if they could get it, but sadly no! Also apparently these gang members rent appartments and guns/drugs etc are sold from "cheap" rent appartments. Do you really want to have neighbours like that? At least in a house you know who is calling to your front door.

You pay for what you get in life and looking for the cheapest rock bottom rent...usually comes at a price!!

Also to add Clearwater Tescos is next to Finglas South...that is rough like Ballymun!! Really all of Ballymun is rough (Santry Cross is just a new name to sell Ballymun Village as a nice area...its not...its low income and with that comes problems. Sure there are nice people around there). The gangs are not just isolated to Finglas South...they are everywhere. So just because a "shooting" happened in Finglas South doesnt mean Ballymun Village is Beverly Hills.

Also the area i mentioned before is nearer to Santry Cross then it is to Tescos in Clearwater

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I don't know if it is any use to you Monife but how about this?

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=973618

There are a few spots around Drumcondra/Phibsboro that would meet your criteria.
    Easy access for you to Swords.
    Good commuting for the OH on bus routes to southside.
    Well priced and near the city (but not centre).

Stay away from Finglas/Ballymun if you can.

• Advertisement

Zamboni wrote: »

There are a few spots around Drumcondra/Phibsboro that would meet your criteria.

Like I said before im from Finglas!! Its not all that bad, there are nice places in it. But you have to pay more rent to get a nicer place, or live outside Dublin and get cheaper rent still.

Sure the gangland people shot were apparently from around North Circular Road in Drumcodra!!! Its like a cancer. Cloniffe Road is not far from some dodgy flats called Ballybough!! Basically you cant win in Dublin. Its a very small city. What could be high end upper class on 1 street is gangland getto around the corner.

Hi Zamboni,

Yeah I have seen that place but wanted something a little more modern. I am thinking probably to steer clear of Ballymun altogether (just got fixated on the nice apartments with low rent), but just one last question about Ballymun, does anyone know what the College View apartments are like on Ballymun road?? (If they are nightmare too then I am definitely forgetting about Ballymun.)

Ideal places for us would be Santry or Drumcondra. Have seen a few nice ones and hoping I can haggle the rent a bit when it comes to viewing.

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated. :)

College View are fine too, as are the apartments up over the Travelodge on the Ballymun Road.

There's nothing wrong with Ballymun, or Finglas for that matter, I've lived in both and never had any trouble there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

There's nothing wrong with Ballymun, or Finglas for that matter, I've lived in both and never had any trouble there.

Look, nobody is here to piss all over Finglas and the Ballymun and there are great people living there but lets not deny that that they have a higher rate of scum than other places.
    I know both places extremely well and I have seen horrifying events with my own eyes in both of them.
    With all other things being equal why anyone would want to live there when they do not have to is beyond me.

Look, nobody is here to piss all over Finglas and the Ballymun and there are great people living there but lets not deny that that they have a higher rate of scum than other places.
    I know both places extremely well and I have seen horrifying events with my own eyes in both of them.
    With all other things being equal why anyone would want to live there when they do not have to is beyond me.

Unless im blind i dont know...but i would love to represent these area's because it is misrepresented by the NEWS. There are lots of lovely people in these area's. Theres a far amount of scum all over Ireland and not only scum, but just plan stuck up people. Id rather the down to earth nice people in these area's any day over the stuck up high maintenance Paris Hilton types you find elsewhere in Dublin.

Ive lived in the best of places such as San Francisco, Windsor, Cambridge, Cornwall and Bordeaux....and I still love Finglas. I love the people, i love the spirit of people and i god damn have the best neighbours ever!!! For anybody just to "assume" things because of the news is out of their mind.

Sure bad things happen and sure if you have more money live in Dublin 4. But at the end of the day, life is life, humans are humans and unfortunately a few bad apples from other area's give the places a bad name. Id totally be proud to live in any of these area's over a snobby place anyday in Dublin. Because they are big fish in a small pond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Monife wrote: »
    Hi Zamboni,

Yeah I have seen that place but wanted something a little more modern. I am thinking probably to steer clear of Ballymun altogether (just got fixated on the nice apartments with low rent), but just one last question about Ballymun, does anyone know what the College View apartments are like on Ballymun road?? (If they are nightmare too then I am definitely forgetting about Ballymun.)

Ideal places for us would be Santry or Drumcondra. Have seen a few nice ones and hoping I can haggle the rent a bit when it comes to viewing.

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated. :)

I lived in Collegeview for 3 and a half years up to 2008 - the place was fantastic for the first year (working people only and not a quarter full) then became an utter kip.
    Drug addicts in the stairwells, absolutely no security in the building, excrement and vomit on the stairwells, rubbish in the common areas and everyone had access to teh place as the doors were constantly kicked in and vandalised as were the lifts, kids using it as a playground. Cars burnt out and robbed in the underground carpark - and this place was right beside the copshop.

Unless it has undergone a drastic change in the past two years - keep well away.

magneticimpulse banned for one week for hogging thread, even after being warned.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

OP

maybe you could have a look at this site, you can see any issue the residence have.

http://www.neighbours.ie/

OP

maybe you could have a look at this site, you can see any issue the residence have.

http://www.neighbours.ie/

Not used in the least by the residents of Santry Cross...

Listen, I didn't HAVE to live in Ballymun or Finglas, I choose to live there because I liked the apartment/house enough. I never had any problems in the general area of Ballymun nobody ever bothered me when walking through the shopping centre, or down the main street. There was one robbed car in the time I lived in Ballymun and the Gardai caught him within ten minutes.

It's good for public transport links, close to the airport and the Omni shopping centre. Close to IKEA. The Claremont/The Kilmore/The Goulding are very nice apartments in a gated development. The Turnpike/Maiseton/Charter/Hamptons/Linbhla are a lot less secure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Unless im blind i dont know...but i would love to represent these area's because it is misrepresented by the NEWS. There are lots of lovely people in these area's. Theres a far amount of scum all over Ireland and not only scum, but just plan stuck up people. Id rather the down to earth nice people in these area's any day over the stuck up high maintenance Paris Hilton types you find elsewhere in Dublin.

Ive lived in the best of places such as San Francisco, Windsor, Cambridge, Cornwall and Bordeaux....and I still love Finglas. I love the people, i love the spirit of people and i god damn have the best neighbours ever!!! For anybody just to "assume" things because of the news is out of their mind.

Sure bad things happen and sure if you have more money live in Dublin 4. But at the end of the day, life is life, humans are humans and unfortunately a few bad apples from other area's give the places a bad name. Id totally be proud to live in any of these area's over a snobby place anyday in Dublin. Because they are big fish in a small pond.

What a load of crap , a few good people and a load of rotten apples more like.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭PBroderick

Avoid both....awful kips

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Not familar with all of Finglas/Ballymun, but Willow Pk, Wadelai, Beneavin, Grove Pk etc are grand areas

Please don't drag up old threads without good reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement