Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pretty amazing Handling

• 21-11-2010 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭

This is a competition in the States where the Cops on on Honda Pan Europeans (ST1300) get to show off their stuff.

This guy shows what's possible. He does drop it though at 1:15, but it's still impressive for such a big bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cms0bkNj7A&feature=fvw

If only I could do that!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Really cool for bikes that size. I wonder if our Gardai could give them a run for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Tbh I didn't find that in the least bit impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

do you ride a motorbike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I agree with Mairt. It's just not that impressive.

Compared to guys taut can ride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

What's impressive about this is the size of the bike. This is not a trail bike, this is a 300kg full size touring bike. The cop simply throws it around as if it was a small 125.

Yes, the trial bike stunt rider are visually impressive, but don't underestimate the skills involved in handling a bike this big.

• Advertisement

jayok wrote: »
    What's impressive about this is the size of the bike. This is not a trail bike, this is a 300kg full size touring bike. The cop simply throws it around as if it was a small 125.

Yes, the trial bike stunt rider are visually impressive, but don't underestimate the skills involved in handling a bike this big.

he dropped it!

i can ride better than those cops i can't ride close to as well as those trials lads

hobochris wrote: »
    do you ride a motorbike?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Yes he did drop it as indeed trail bikers do. Don't make the skills any less.
    Tigger wrote: »
    i can ride better than those cops i can't ride close to as well as those trials lads

So this is a competition for Cops that spent 40+ hours a week on an ST1300 in and out of traffic, have complete numerous training courses. It sees the best candidates from their force compete, and of these candidates the cop in the youtube clip was the fastest...

But you can ride better?

You'll have to excuse me but I don't believe you (not that it really matters). Please prove me wrong and put up a video response to this clip of Tigger on his/her ST1300 or similar bike demonstration similar basic handling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

i can ride better than those cops

Hands up anyone who'd lay money on Tigger achieving this..

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I'll take that bet.

Right, we need a Pan and lots of little cones :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

KamiKazi wrote: »
    I'll take that bet.

Don't forget some ketchup and a dictionary. Cause someone's gonna have to eat their words. :p

I'll take that bet.

I'd do it, and wheelie the Pan out of the last cones too!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kiddeh

And then you'll wake up!!

Kiddeh wrote: »

Don't be silly, if I was sleeping the bike would just fall over.

But I would wheelie the thing, no bother at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'll bet he won't.......

+1,000
    he dropped it!

Right - YouTube's your friend: so don't dawdle - post the footage here pronto.
    Kiddeh wrote: »
    +1,000,000

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Can't quote all the above ^^, but why do you guys find it this clip so impressive. And find it hard to believe that someone here couldn't replicate it?.

As for wheeling the Pan, I was only chatting to a mate the other night about wheelies. And there's only one bike that I've ever rode and didn't wheelie, and it was his H.D. Fatboy.

The rider in the clip has some nice control over his bike, but really not that impressive at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Fair play to you if you can ride to the same skill level as those guys, but until I see you do it with my own eyes I'll be skeptical ;)

Fair play to you if you can ride to the same skill level as those guys, but until I see you do it with my own eyes I'll be skeptical ;)

Cool, its good to be skeptical - 'tis the internet after all.

But from reading your posts here I find it hard to believe your really that skeptical, after all the riding & control in the clip is good but not so impressive that you should find it hard that someone here could do as good.

I've been riding motorbikes professionally for 25 years (this December actually), and I'd expect someone with even half that experience to do as well given the proper instruction.

Cool, its good to be skeptical - 'tis the internet after all.

But from reading your posts here I find it hard to believe your really that skeptical, after all the riding & control in the clip is good but not so impressive that you should find it hard that someone here could do as good.

I've been riding motorbikes professionally for 25 years (this December actually), and I'd expect someone with even half that experience to do as well given the proper instruction.

...you're missing the point: if you've spent 25 yrs on the 'bike, you're obviously doing something right - so kudos to you for that. But so have I, and I still know - and acknowledge - good skill when I see it.

You, on the other hand are pouring cold water on it, and telling us you're better, so let's see you in action then.

And those traffic cops put more hours on a bike in 5 yrs than we do in 25, so 25 per se doesn't tell us anything.......

Oh, and btw, I've seen a Big Twin wheelied - not mine - so it can be done......and that's above my 'pay grade' as well......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    And those traffic cops put more hours on a bike in 5 yrs than we do in 25, so 25 per se doesn't tell us anything..

I work almost full time on a motorbike.

Like I said earlier, good riding. But not overly impressive.

At the end of our courses' in work most, if not all, rider's would be similarly as competent. But with a lighter bike. So I'm not as impressed as you might be.

Now if you, or someone without a professional background in motorcycling could do that I'd say thats impressive.

• Advertisement

I work almost full time on a motorbike.

Like I said earlier, good riding. But not overly impressive.

At the end of our courses' in work most, if not all, rider's would be similarly as competent. But with a lighter bike. So I'm not as impressed as you might be.

Now if you, or someone without a professional background in motorcycling could do that I'd say thats impressive.

.....ah, now I get it: it's not impressive because they do it for a living.

What on earth has that got to do with anything ?

And, as you say, you're a professional too, so naturally, when you post up your autotest/wheelie combo on YouTube, you'll be ok with us not being impressed with that, either...

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    And, as you say, you're a professional too, so naturally, when you post up your autotest/wheelie combo on YouTube, you'll be ok with us not being impressed with that, either...

***edited, can't be arsed.

But from reading your posts here I find it hard to believe your really that skeptical

Just to quote myself for a moment to clarify something..

'KamiKazi', Sorry I was mistaking you for KTRIC - I've no idea who you are. My mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Just to quote myself for a moment to clarify something..

'KamiKazi', Sorry I was mistaking you for KTRIC - I've no idea who you are. My mistake.

Hes the sexy one.

KTRIC that is.

i've got about 200k miles of slamoning throught dublin traffic all day all weather as a courier under my belt and i've been riding for 18 years

i've never ridden a pan but from what i've read they are lovley and balanced
    that video isn't done at any speed its smooth but honestly on a hot day with hot tyres that really dosent look that hard

we can all meet up in the summer and ye can take the piss out of mairt and me but i'll be using one of my bikes cos it takes a good few hours to get used to a new bike but i'll have a 750 or bigger

we can all meet up in the summer and ye can take the piss out of mairt and me but i'll be using one of my bikes cos it takes a good few hours to get used to a new bike but i'll have a 750 or bigger

Wow, last time I was called Mairt around here was in THIS THREAD!.

If you were a courier in Dublin we've defo crossed paths!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Their lack of protective gear is wonderful. Americans!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I can't get the front wheel up on my Road King, nor can I do any of those tight turns. Of course I can barely lift the damn thing anymore, nevermind ride it :(.

Advertisement