Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best computer repair/fixing - Dublin

• 21-11-2010 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I made the mistake of stepping back my machine to a previous date and it did not leave me with the option of undo. It also did not solve the problem which seems to be an issue with nvidia drivers. But worst of all i cannot get my mails to work with thunderbird. I have saved the mail folder and tried every single webpage i could find to help but nothing works.

I would like to bring the pc to the best place possible to get my emails restored. It is very importand and urgent. Who would be good in the dublin area? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Shouldn't be too difficult to fix. Can you give some more info about your computer and your Thunderbird setup and what it is exactly that doesn't work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭GarRo247

Try TechPros in The Square, Tallaght, or Right click. TechPros will charge €49 but will include a free tune up. I don't know about right click

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭FunkyExige

bhickey wrote: »
    Shouldn't be too difficult to fix. Can you give some more info about your computer and your Thunderbird setup and what it is exactly that doesn't work?

Ok well the first problem just cropped up after a windows 7 update. When i came back to the pc it would only allow you to move the mouse marginally then freeze for 30secs, then move it again a bit and freeze. It was headwrecking.

So i decided to rollback the system as it said you could undo it. I did that but then ended up with no undo and the issue still there. I found out afte rabout an hour of leaving the omputer its grand again. But when you turn it off for any longer length it will be back to the freezing for 30seconds again.

Sometimes the screen switches off and i get a nvidia display driver has stopped responding and has recovered.

Onto the more important issue which is the thunderbird mails.

I salvaged them from the usual app data folder. They are definitly the latest as i have check all mailboxes are listed. I have tried ever concieveable way to get it workign again with thunderbird. Obviously it had to be a new install of thunderbird. So i tried copying the contents over into the new default profile. Didnt work, then just the mail files. No joy. Then put the old folder in and tried the profile manager with a restoration profile. Opening it from there and still nothing. I have double checked the profile is going to the right area in the text editor.

Whatever i do when i open thunderbird again its just like a brand new install and never recognizes the mails or anything is there. I also tried it on another machine i have and a laptop and exact same problem.

I spent literally 12 hours yesterday trawling through ways to fix it as the meails are really important to get back. I'd try anything at this stage :(

GarRo247 wrote: »
    Try TechPros in The Square, Tallaght, or Right click. TechPros will charge €49 but will include a free tune up. I don't know about right click

As long as they come highly recommended and are trustworthy i will try them. I have some computer techs who have worked on the pc before but it never comes back much better so i really want to try the best out there to fix the email issue mainly and also have this pc up to the standard it should be.

FunkyExige wrote: »
    I have tried ever concieveable way to get it workign again with thunderbird.

Fair enough. Are you using POP3 or IMAP? In Thunderbird, when you add an account, ckeck Tools > Account Settings & then check 'Server Settings' for the account in question. At the bottom of the screen there is a setting called 'Local Directory'. If your mailboxes are all intact from a previous install then you should be able to copy them into a folder and point this setting at that folder (checking the folder frst for structure to make sure that everything's where it should be).

Yea unfortunatly it sees nothing :(

Your welcome to have a look around on logmein if you like, id try anything at this stage :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

I would advise saving the folder(s) containing the emails etc to CD/flash-memory and do a full clean-install of the OS. Restore the data to the appropriate folder(s) afterwards. I do this several times a month for clients and always seems to be fine afterwards!

Thing is ive tried it on a few different pcs :( Still the exact same :(

Your welcome to have a look around on logmein if you like, id try anything at this stage :p

I'll PM you later then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭GarRo247

As long as they come highly recommended and are trustworthy i will try them. I have some computer techs who have worked on the pc before but it never comes back much better so i really want to try the best out there to fix the email issue mainly and also have this pc up to the standard it should be.

Right Click are the best in Ireland for Laptop repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Do you have a backup of everything. If not take one now.

Can you access your email via webmail to check its still there.

• Advertisement

BHickey was kind enough to log in and fix the email. Really really pleased, thanks a million for all the help :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Is it backed up now?

Advertisement