Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening rules

Options
  • 21-11-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Can someone settle a dispute for me.

Is it possible to open a game of Poker with four of a Royal Flush whether in sequence or not.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Jul3s

I presume you're talking about draw poker, if so then the answer is "it depends" and can change from place to place and game to game.
    So the real question is what are the opening rules ye are using in yer game? and the answer is, if you don't know then you probably shouldn't be playing!.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kilmeaney 1

I never said that i play the game. But the lads that i do see playing are divided as to which is right and not right. There was a heated argument as to the ,written rule. I am talking about the original game of Poker,there are so many differant forms of poker now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Yes, there are a few different type of poker. When I played it had to be a pair of 10's or better, Jack's or even Queens' ~ you HAD to show your openers.

When playing with a full deck I think it was 5's or better. That is a pair of 5s of better.

In other words my opening had had to be an official poker hand and a hand that could score. One missing from a straight or blue was not an opening hand.

The lads that i see playing whether with a full deck or stripped deck open with a pair of Jacks or better.Two of them say you can open with four of a Royal ,or a straight flush,in any order . The other two say they have to be in sequence,thats the question .

Thanks for the information.....for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

The lads that i see playing whether with a full deck or stripped deck open with a pair of Jacks or better.Two of them say you can open with four of a Royal ,or a straight flush,in any order . The other two say they have to be in sequence,thats the question .

A straight and a flush are two different things. If I had 5 en-suit that's a blue in my day and I could open. Say all Hearts in any order.

If I had a straight from anywhere I could open. Naturally I could not get more cards as my hand was also the openers. say: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 of any suit.

One short of a royal is nothing, it's not a hand so cannot open. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks gbee.

Imyself thought it was possible to open with four of a Royal flush,whether in sequence or not.

Thanks for clearing that up.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Jul3s

I havn't played draw poker in forever and I don't recall been able to open with 4 to a royal or straight flush, but if you are to allow in your game then it makes more sense to allow 4 in any order to open, as that is still far more unlikely than Jacks or better, tbh the two guys saying that it has be in sequence are wrong and are just been pedantic imo, as no one should ever have to fold a straight flush draw ever.
    gbee wrote: »
    A straight and a flush are two different things. If I had 5 en-suit that's a blue in my day and I could open. Say all Hearts in any order.

If I had a straight from anywhere I could open. Naturally I could not get more cards as my hand was also the openers. say: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 of any suit.

One short of a royal is nothing, it's not a hand so cannot open. :)
    Lol cork people.
    Did you even read his post?.

Here is another question . If a person opens with 4 of a Royal flush in sequence and does not fill how can he show openers,the same for opening if not in sequence. That is why the correct answer is so important ,to settle the argument.I know the rules can be set before the game starts,thats why i thought there was an actual rule.

Thanks to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

You can discard your openers can't you?

Say you had 10, J, Q, K, K.. and drawing for a Royaler (or a straight flush with the 9)... you can drop a king and hope for the A, even though you might end up with no openers.. That's legit isn't it? You have to keep an eye on your waste I think

Also, you might have a straight, but can draw one card to a flush. It might not make sense to do so,.. but it would if somehow someone exposed a better hand than a straight that ended up still being live... there'd be little point continuing with a losing hand, so you'd risk the draw if it was free.

actually I can see how that's a problem, if you end up with nothing, and someone else folds 99 as you opened with JJ or better... I'm confused

Advertisement