Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scotland.

Options
  • 21-11-2010 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hey,
    I have been hearing alot of people talking about going to college in scotland. I was wondering is this cheaper then here in ireland, if the fees (In ireland) are going to rise?
    Any info would be much appreciated .....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Hey, I was literally wondering the same thing myself! I'm studying Graphic Design right now but would rather study somewhere else if I could afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 steeevo93

Haha ... I think that people are exempt from fees or something like that...but im not sure i can't find a whole lot of info on it either. Scotland has a good university system aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Equium

steeevo93 wrote: »
    Hey,
    I have been hearing alot of people talking about going to college in scotland. I was wondering is this cheaper then here in ireland, if the fees (In ireland) are going to rise?
    Any info would be much appreciated .....

There are no fees for Irish students in Scotland - unless you are from the North. It's possible that this will change in the future due to the economic climate, but we won't know until the next UK budget.
    You have to apply to the Scottish government to pay the fees. This is done after you accept an offer next summer (or possibly earlier - depends on your current circumstances, i.e. are you in school, college...). All this is done through student-support-saas.gov.uk/.
    In terms of applying for courses, you use the ucas system - see ucas.com for all the details. The application deadline is usually mid January afaik.
    I was going through the same process last year and I found most of the universities to be of a good standard. Edinburgh University is particularly good, as is St. Andrews.
    A lot of people I know ended up over in Scotland this year due to how cheap it is. Living costs are below the UK average, and therefore below living costs too. The only major expense will be coming back here but you can get cheap flights if you book early.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Equium wrote: »
    There are no fees for Irish students in Scotland - unless you are from the North. It's possible that this will change in the future due to the economic climate, but we won't know until the next UK budget.
    You have to apply to the Scottish government to pay the fees. This is done after you accept an offer next summer (or possibly earlier - depends on your current circumstances, i.e. are you in school, college...). All this is done through student-support-saas.gov.uk/.
    In terms of applying for courses, you use the ucas system - see ucas.com for all the details. The application deadline is usually mid January afaik.
    I was going through the same process last year and I found most of the universities to be of a good standard. Edinburgh University is particularly good, as is St. Andrews.
    A lot of people I know ended up over in Scotland this year due to how cheap it is. Living costs are below the UK average, and therefore below living costs too. The only major expense will be coming back here but you can get cheap flights if you book early.

Would it matter if you've done a year of the same course you're applying for over here..?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Equium

Saaron wrote: »
    Would it matter if you've done a year of the same course you're applying for over here..?

Nope. As long as it's your first course in Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chrussell2

I'm in the University of Stirling and my main reason for coming over was the financial side of things. Living costs are so much lower here. I pay 275pound a month for a massive flat smack bang i the city centre. Food is cheaper, trains are so much cheaper (for example from dublin to mullingar one way I paid 21euro. Stirling to Edinburgh is about the same distance and I pay 7.80 pound return). On the social side of things, most clubs are never more than 5quid in and you can get 1pound vodka's, shots and pints.

I'd really recommend it, I love it here and TBH I don't think I'd ever go back to live in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 steeevo93

Chrussell12..... In total if you were to pay 3000 euro p/a here in ireland for accomodation and 2500 P/a registration would it be cheaper to make the move????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Chrussell2 wrote: »
    I'm in the University of Stirling and my main reason for coming over was the financial side of things. Living costs are so much lower here. I pay 275pound a month for a massive flat smack bang i the city centre. Food is cheaper, trains are so much cheaper (for example from dublin to mullingar one way I paid 21euro. Stirling to Edinburgh is about the same distance and I pay 7.80 pound return). On the social side of things, most clubs are never more than 5quid in and you can get 1pound vodka's, shots and pints.

I'd really recommend it, I love it here and TBH I don't think I'd ever go back to live in Ireland!

Stirling is gorgeous all right, and cheap! I went to the uni there too and loved it! Miss Drouthy Neebors and the macRobert!

Advertisement