Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

K4 bandit unrestrict

• 21-11-2010 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

anyone out there know whats involved in unrestricting a k4 bandit 600...

it came brand new from priory factory restricted....

most factory restricted bandits came from priory surely some one on here has unrestricted one.....:D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

You need a new ECU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I don't think its worth the hassle and cost, just sell the bandit, there are plenty more learner riders looking out for them, and pick up an unrestricted one.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭limerick79

well i have the bike from new....
    so why sell it to buy something else.....
    just need to know has anyon done this....
    and how they done it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

limerick79 wrote: »
    well i have the bike from new....
    so why sell it to buy something else.....
    just need to know has anyon done this....
    and how they done it....
    KamiKazi wrote: »
    You need a new ECU

Theres your answer. 2 posts up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

martydunf wrote: »
    Theres your answer. 2 posts up.

yup... done it on a sv650 - same deal with the bandit, get onto ebay and find a unrestricted ecu...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Thought the Bandits were restricted using Washers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Thought the Bandits were restricted using Washers?

yeah the older carb'd ones were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

or post on a few of the websites that you're looking to get an unrestricted ecu and are willing to swop a restricted ecyu for it - there's bound to be someone out there who needs to restrict their bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

ifah wrote: »
    or post on a few of the websites that you're looking to get an unrestricted ecu and are willing to swop a restricted ecyu for it - there's bound to be someone out there who needs to restrict their bike.

Was the bike Factory Restricted when you got it or just "restricted"? If so swapping the ECU doesn't make sense to do. The bike qualifies for cheap insurance if it is Factory restricted. Once the ECU is changed and the bike is sold, it won't qualify for Factory restriction.

There is a demand surely for FR bikes, and they are worth more as such. I certainly found that when I bought and sold my SV as FR to upgrade to the 1000. The whole transaction cost me half nothing as the FR bike didn't depreciate as much as the non FR ones do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

KamiKazi wrote: »
    You need a new ECU

Don't think you do, i could be wrong though, a mechanic mate of mine said it can be done, the restriction is done with holes in the carbs i think. I have a FR K4 and offered to do it but i said no im happy with it plus it is worth more FR if i sell it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

I think if its fuel injected it needs a new ECU, which the K4 might be?

Im not sure tho, all I know is my K3, which is carb'd, is restricted using washers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Idleater wrote: »
    Was the bike Factory Restricted when you got it or just "restricted"? If so swapping the ECU doesn't make sense to do. The bike qualifies for cheap insurance if it is Factory restricted. Once the ECU is changed and the bike is sold, it won't qualify for Factory restriction.

There is a demand surely for FR bikes, and they are worth more as such. I certainly found that when I bought and sold my SV as FR to upgrade to the 1000. The whole transaction cost me half nothing as the FR bike didn't depreciate as much as the non FR ones do.

Makes perfect sense for now - no matter what it will cost money to change a bike unless you're dropping down in years. You also have to find a buyer and then find a bike to buy - heartache.
    A new ECU will cost probably a couple of hundred notes and then you need to pay to get a restriction cert.

A bike may qualify for cheaper insurance (and only from one insurer afaik) but there are people out there riding restricted bikes who are looking for full power ecu's.

Your points are valid, but in the current circumstances, it'd be easier to sell a legitimate FR bike than any aul yoke. In such a case, the couple of hundred euro on the ecu could equal 2k when trying to sell eventually, or even bring able to sell at all.
    I was merely outlining the bigger picture for the op, that imo is worth considering.
    I was sure all insurers gave reductions on FR bikes, they all did when I had mine.
    Similarly, just because a load of people are swapping ecus, doesn't mean they are declaring that to their insurers, nor does it mean that they realise the illegality of not reregistering it as full power, and nor does it mean they realise the fact that they then can't sell the bike legitimately as factory restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

I had a factory restricted K4 bandit and it was a carbed model, i was priced 180 to de restrict it. I sold it instead as there was a good demand for Fr models. As said already the log book stated that it was 33 bhp and if i got de restricted the logbook would also need to be sorted to keep things right.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭limerick79

just gonna buy unrestricted ecu it not gonna cost much....
    checked it out and this seems to be ay to go....

and when all is sais and done and when i choose to sell i can sell it with the option of it being restricted or unrestricted....

thanks to those of you with sensible replies..
    and not just b*llsh*t waffle like some...

just gonna buy unrestricted ecu

For the record I did the same. I ran the sv650 with an unrestricted ecu for a month or two and a track day before upgrading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Idleater wrote: »
    For the record I did the same. I ran the sv650 with an unrestricted ecu for a month or two and a track day before upgrading.

yeah, when I had the SV i swapped them around loads, if i was going on a long trip i'd take the chance and put the full power ecu in - only cost me 50 quid on ebay... thank god for no more restriction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

just gonna buy unrestricted ecu it not gonna cost much....
    checked it out and this seems to be ay to go....

and when all is sais and done and when i choose to sell i can sell it with the option of it being restricted or unrestricted....

thanks to those of you with sensible replies..
    and not just b*llsh*t waffle like some...

You do realise that your bike is restricted by washers and not with an ECU! Read the thread lad before you waste your money :eek:

Advertisement