Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Ireland Squad Available

• 21-11-2010 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

In my opinion here is the strongest squad Ireland have available for the next qualifier against Macedonia in March. Who do you think should be included or removed from mine ?

23 Man Squad

Goalkeepers
    Given
    Westwood
    Murphy

Right Backs
    Kelly
    Foley

Left Backs
    Ward
    Cunningham

Centre Backs
    Dunne
    O'Shea
    Wilson
    Clark

Right Midfielders
    Hunt
    Coleman

Left Midfielders
    Duff
    McGeady

Central Midfielders
    Whelan
    Gibson
    Fahey
    McCarthy

Forwards
    Keane
    Doyle
    Long
    Stokes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Liam Lawrence with 7 goals this season should be in there imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

who should be sacrificed so ?

Ward as Hunt can play left back if needed. Decent squad in fairness to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

whelan and gibson are $hit , i dont know why trap persists with em

And i'd have Andrews ahead of Gibson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Shay Given
    Keiren Westwood
    Brian Murphy

Seamus Coleman
    Kevin Foley

John O’Shea
    Sean St. Ledger
    Richard Dunne
    Ciaran Clark

Greg Cunningham
    Stephan Ward
    Killer Kilbane

Aiden McGeady
    Liam Lawrence
    Rory Delap

Glenn Whelan
    Keith Andrews
    Darron Gibson
    Keith Fahey

Stephan Hunt
    Damien Duff

Robbie Keane
    Kevin Doyle
    Shane Long
    John Walters
    Anto Stokes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Hunt is a left mid.

Le King wrote: »
    Hunt is a left mid.

he wouldnt get his game with waterford utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

BERBA wrote: »

?
    He gets his game in the premiership..

I'd also move O Shea to one of the full back slots over either Foley or Ward, and bring in Ciaran Clark for CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

BERBA wrote: »

But he's getting it with Wolves.

You really do set the benchmark of idiocy quite high sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Given
    Westwood
    J.Murphy

Kelly
    Foley
    Cunningham
    Kilbane
    Dunne
    St.Ledger
    O'Shea
    Clark

Lawrence
    Coleman
    McGeady
    Duff
    Whelan
    Fahey
    Wilson
    McCarthy

Keane
    Doyle
    Long
    Stokes
    Walters

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    ?
    He gets his game in the premiership..

point being i dont rate hunt at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

No Gibson or Kelly imo. And Trap has to broaden his horizons. Everytime I turn on Aertel I see Rooney and Sammon scoring for fun in the SPL. But definitely no Gibson or Kelly...or McShane!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

my 25 man squad

Shay Given
    Keiren Westwood
    Brian Murphy

Seamus Coleman
    Kevin Foley
    John O’Shea
    Sean St. Ledger
    Richard Dunne
    Ciaran Clark
    Darren O'Dea
    Greg Cunningham
    Stephan Ward

Aiden McGeady
    Liam Lawrence
    Rory Delap
    Glenn Whelan
    Marc Wilson
    James McCarthy
    Keith Fahey
    Stephen Hunt
    Damien Duff

Robbie Keane
    Kevin Doyle
    Shane Long
    Anthony Stokes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

If Sir Alex Ferguson rates D.Gibson..... hes good enough to be on the Rep. of Ireland squad. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    No Gibson or Kelly imo. And Trap has to broaden his horizons. Everytime I turn on Aertel I see Rooney and Sammon scoring for fun in the SPL. But definitely no Gibson or Kelly...or McShane!!

Isn't that waynes younger brother playing in the spl? I heard he was eligible to play for us. He seems to be lashing the goals in for fun. He could be a late developer. If he turns into half the player Wayne is I'd have him in our squad in a heartbeat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Rob113 wrote: »
    Isn't that waynes younger brother playing in the spl? I heard he was eligible to play for us. He seems to be lashing the goals in for fun. He could be a late developer. If he turns into half the player Wayne is I'd have him in our squad in a heartbeat

I hope to god you are taking the p*ss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Rob113 wrote: »

Adam Rooney is from Dublin, no relation to Wayne.

Wayne's brother is John and is without a club. Released by Macclesfield Town and having trials in the US now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

kilbane, mcshane, green, folan and best should never be allowed to put on an irish shirt AGAIN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

kilbane, mcshane, green, folan and best should never be allowed to put on an irish shirt AGAIN

Wrong! Kilbane is a legend and still is a good player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

If Sir Alex Ferguson rates D.Gibson..... hes good enough to be on the Rep. of Ireland squad. End of.

lol

Remember Liam Miller? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

He must be highly rated alright if Carrick is ahead of him. But seriously, every time I've seen him play he's disappointed me, apart from maybe the 2nd leg against Bayern last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Given
    Westwood
    Murphy

O'Shea
    Dunne
    Foley
    Kilbane
    St Ledger
    Coleman
    Clark

McGeady
    Hunt
    Duff
    Lawrence
    Whelan
    McCarthy
    Wilson
    Fahey

Keane
    Doyle
    Long
    Stokes
    Walters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    He must be highly rated alright if Carrick is ahead of him. But seriously, every time I've seen him play he's disappointed me, apart from maybe the 2nd leg against Bayern last year.

Its kinda a love hate thing with him.At times he doesnt offer much bar his ability to smack one hell of a shot. +1 on those adding Delap to their posts.Someone like Doyle and Dunne could do well id say with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Soby wrote: »
    Its kinda a love hate thing with him.At times he doesnt offer much bar his ability to smack one hell of a shot. +1 on those adding Delap to their posts.Someone like Doyle and Dunne could do well id say with him.

I've never really rated Delap and certainly wouldnt carry him in a team just because of his throw. But he's been very good when I've seen him this season - so I've changed my mind on him. As a player who can cover right back, right midfield and centre midfield, he should certainly be in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

As long as Green is not in the squad, I'm happy :D.

As regards Delap, there is not much he would add to the team except for his long throws. I know this is perfect for us but in open play he's fairly anonymous. I watched the full game of Stoke against Birmingham on telly the other week and I couldn't even tell what position he was supposed to be playing. I think they play him as a holding midfielder? Do we really need another one of those? Maybe a squad player to cover injuries but couldn't see him starting for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

If we start looking at the likes of Sammon/Rooney, we should also be considering Paddy Madden, IMO.

GK:
    Given
    Westwood
    J. Murphy

LB:
    Ward
    Cunningham

RB:
    Foley
    Kelly

CB:
    Dunne
    O'Shea
    Clark
    St Ledger

RW:
    Coleman
    Lawrence

LW:
    Duff
    McGeady
    Hunt

CM:
    Fahey
    McCarthy
    Wilson
    Meyler
    Delap

ST:
    Keane
    Doyle
    Long
    Walters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

dyl10 wrote: »
    lol

Remember Liam Miller? :D

Ya, he was playing great stuff for Celtic the time Utd signed him. I suppose the Scotish Premierleague can make any average player look outstanding....... which is why Stokes is in most of yer squads :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Ya, he was playing great stuff for Celtic the time Utd signed him. I suppose the Scotish Premierleague can make any average player look outstanding....... which is why Stokes is in most of yer squads :rolleyes:

He didn't look too bad scoring against Lyon in the Champions league.
    He was genuine real prospect at Celtic, made a huge mistake going to Utd. Move was far too soon for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

I think Stokes take more than enough flak for his time in the Premiership.

Firstly, by his own admission he was a young immature kid and let the lifestyle get ahead of him. For me, I say fair play to the lad to recognise that and rectify it while he is still young. He is only 22 - a lot of Premiership talent doesn't even make their first team by 22. Furthermore he was only 19/20 when he played in the Premiership.

Secondly, many of his appearances in the Prem were off the bench or on the wing without the licence to cut in like he does now. So that makes it even more difficult to show off your goalscoring ability.

Thirdly, and finally, he got one crack it really, and didn't shine. But if we were to judge all players on just one period of time we would be left with few players. Case and point for me would be Darren Bent, one of the Prems top goalscorers, yet he was brutal for Spurs. Luckily for Bent he was given another go at it and proved himself again.

Now I know the proof is in the pudding so I cannot just state: "Anthony Stokes will be a fantastic Premiership striker", but I do trust that if a mid-table club were looking for a goalscorer, they should look no further than Anthony Stokes.

As for Ireland, I would really like us to look at Brazil 2014 as the target and use these Euro qualifiers as an opportunity to blood the promising talent coming through.
    By 2014, we could have the following squad

Goalkeepers
    Given
    Westwood

Left Backs
    Cunningham
    JOS
    Right Backs
    Coleman
    Foley
    Centre Backs
    Clark
    Duffy
    St Ledger
    Dunne

Left Wing
    Duff
    Brady
    Right Wing
    Lawrence
    McGeady
    Box-to-Box Midfielders
    Meyler
    Whelan
    Centre Midfielders
    Gibson
    Clifford
    Playmaking Midfielders
    McCarthy
    Fahey

Forwards
    Stokes
    Keane
    Madden
    Doyle

Okay, there are a few ifs and buts regarding whether or not some of those players will reach their potential. But with the exception of Brady they have all played first team football and done very well so far.(Clifford has been doing quite well at his loan spell at Plymouth and Duffy has played a handful of times for Everton in Europa League fixtures)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

McShane hasnt been mention yet? :eek:
    Hes our best player!! :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Forwards
    Stokes
    Keane
    Madden

no Doyle?

I agree though that post Trappatoni (i dont imagine he will have another campaign even if he brings us to the euros) there is a lot of potential within the Irish selection panel should it be used properly and should we get lucky with some of the players continued development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

no Doyle?

I agree though that post Trappatoni (i dont imagine he will have another campaign even if he brings us to the euros) there is a lot of potential within the Irish selection panel should it be used properly and should we get lucky with some of the players continued development.

Sorry, complete oversight on my part!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Form and gametime.

Eventually it becomes hard to ignore someone like him even if it is the SPL.

Especially when our top two strikers (for various reason I grant you) have one EPL goal between them this season.

Not saying he will necessarily be a revelation but he has to be worth a chance in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Paddy Madden is nowhere near good enough to even be considered part of the Ireland squad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Delap in Delap in Delap in, makes perfect sense.

How is Ian Harte doing these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hopefully Meyler will be back in first team action for Sunderland soon. He is the future star midfielder for the ROI.

Advertisement