Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car seat confusion.. isofix or belts? 9 months plus...

• 21-11-2010 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

only quick question. We are trying to pick a car seat for our little man. He is only nearly 8 months old but long (he is 75cm) strong lad (not fat at all) and so his weight is already just over 8 kg. The baby car seat is getting too small for him because he is so tall so will have to move to the next stage one soon.
    We have narrowed the search down to two yesterday. One is fixed by seat belts and spins around for easier fitting or the baby (Maxi Cosi Axiss) and the other one is the latest Isofix one (Britax Safefix Plus TT).. thats the one without the foot prop.
    Does any of you have any experience with ether of those?
    Thanks a mill in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

He isn't too tall for it until his head goes over the top.
    Try keep him in it for as long as possible as rear facing is a lot safer the forward facing.
    The advantages of isofix is the seats are easy to fit and near impossible to fit wrong.
    The advantage of seat belt fitting is that your car does not need isofix points the risk of not fitting the seat properly is alot higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭Leax

Hi,
    I agree with the poster above. Keeping your child rearward facing as long as possible is the most important thing you can do for car safety. Weight and general appearance of strength has nothing to do with with how a child's neck will fare in an accident. As a child gets older the spine become stronger and can withstand more pressure during an accident. Have a look here and there is loads of information available on the web about the reduced risks to a child from being kept rearward facing http://www.rearfacing.co.uk/facts.php
    My 13kg, tall, almost 20 month old is still in her rock-a-tot. Her head is not above the top and babies have no problem having their legs a little bent in the seat. She will be moving to group 1 rearward facing seat soon as she is near the weight limit for her current seat.
    I know I've deviated off your original question but wanted to direct you to this info just in case you weren't aware of it. For what it's worth I would choose isofix over seat-belt installed as it reduces the risk of human-error in installing.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭schnorkleborg

The axis car seat is good if you want to mind your back but its hard to fit so you'd be better to get it fitted for you. Whereas the isofix car seats are more straightforward to fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Our little lady is very tall and lean, she was 76cm at her 8 month check and just 9kg. We kept her in the rearward facing car seat (Maxi Cosi + Isofix) until just a few weeks ago just before she turned 10 months. Whilst babs head is within the seat it is the safest way to transport your baby.

We now have the Maxi Cosi Axiss and find it great. The swivel function is brilliant as is the recline. She looks really comfortable and her head is well cusioned in it.

We decided not to go for the Isofix on this car seat as we knew that once it has been fitted into the car it wasn't coming out again so we wouldn't have to worry about it being fitted correctly, unlike the maxicosi which was always in and out of the car. If you buy from Mothercare they will fit the car seat so you know it is in correctly. I'm sure other places to this too. The Axiss has a crank thing which secures the seatbelt in place. I'm not sure how it works but the car seat is in and it doesn't budge.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Thank you all girls for your posts...
    I know what are yous saying about keeping the child in the first one rear facing as long as possible... well there are other bits to it in our case.
    He is very strong little lad and he is a bit ahead of things.. he is crawling since he was 5.5 months old he is starting walking now...he is only gonna turn up 8 months on the 4.12.
    Not only that his head is about 2 cm above the current car seat already but he has a new trick as soon as we fit him into the car he is trying to get out and even turn onto his belly in it.. even when the harnes is tight he is stron enough to pull the car seat belt out of the slides on side etc... just not as easy as it mite seams TBH.
    I actually think he is not safe in that car seat at all any more...
    Anyhow I guess the decission is here to be made and its not like we have two many options here.
    Anyhow still would like to know if Axiss or the Safefix option would be the best.
    Thanks again. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

I have the axiss and think it's brilliant, so happy with it. I've a bad back so it was top of my list even though I do think the rear facing ones are far and away the safest.

It's a bit tricky to fit but I managed it myself. Rambling slightly here but did you know if you leave your carseat in the car while it's being NCT'd they check it's fitted correctly?

rylie wrote: »
    I have the axiss and think it's brilliant, so happy with it. I've a bad back so it was top of my list even though I do think the rear facing ones are far and away the safest.

It's a bit tricky to fit but I managed it myself. Rambling slightly here but did you know if you leave your carseat in the car while it's being NCT'd they check it's fitted correctly?

I got the sales girl to show me how to fit the Axiss and yeah.. she was far from making it look easy...
    I am still in two minds... I like the fact of the twisting car seat but the isofix seams like the safest option..so hard to decide!
    I heard about the NCT thing you mentioned.. my friend knows a girl who they actually failed on incorrectly fitted car seat..

Don't let fitting it put you off though, yeah it's a bit tricky but it took no more than 30 minutes to figure it out- with baby rylie attempting to "help" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Like I said in my previous post, once the seat is fitted correctly its as safe as houses. If you think you will be taking it in and out of the car quite often then go for the isofix, but we really didn't feel it was necessary as the car seat is in and its staying there. We know its fitted correctly and it feels as secure in the car as the Maxi Cosi on the isofit ever did. You'd think it was built into the car its fitted so secure and tight.

Axiss all the way I say :D

Thanks again for all your posts girls...
    Have a look what I have come across searching the net for the best car seat :D

I thought it was a bit different and a bit of fun for the little one :-) but not saying this is the one we are getting :-) Its the top range of Britax safefix.. no need of the foot prop..just clicks in..wow...could it be any more simple? :D

• Advertisement

Elle13 wrote: »
    Thanks again for all your posts girls...
    Have a look what I have come across searching the net for the best car seat :D

I thought it was a bit different and a bit of fun for the little one :-) but not saying this is the one we are getting :-) Its the top range of Britax safefix.. no need of the foot prop..just clicks in..wow...could it be any more simple? :D

I LOVE it!!! So cute!!

I LOVE it!!! So cute!!

I love it too.. really considering this one now :-) its a bit pricey €260 or around that mark but sooo cute :-) am sure even boy could have that one or do you think its definately very girly?:o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We have the Axxis now. Really liking it.

I love it too.. really considering this one now :-) its a bit pricey €260 or around that mark but sooo cute :-) am sure even boy could have that one or do you think its definately very girly?:o

No I'd definitely put baby rylie in it- he'd be too cute in it! Am raging I didn't see this before we got the axiss!!

No I'd definitely put baby rylie in it- he'd be too cute in it! Am raging I didn't see this before we got the axiss!!

Ha ha.. I think this is the one I am getting now :cool: I will send you a pict when I get Tobi in ;)

Ha ha.. I think this is the one I am getting now :cool: I will send you a pict when I get Tobi in ;)

Aw fair play to you!

Advertisement