Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you ever hear a sermon which addresses particular sexual sin or mentioning hell?

• 21-11-2010 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭

Jester has a poll for Catholics that reminded me how often I would have liked to know the same from Protestants. For the purposes of this poll, Protestant means those who regularly attend a Protestant church service. They need not be converted persons. I'm more interested here in what is being preached than in the state of the hearer. Thanks.

Do you ever hear a sermon which addresses particular sexual sin or mentioning hell? 12 votes

Never
    0% 0 votes
    Rarely
    33% 4 votes
    Occasionally
    33% 4 votes
    Yeah, all the time
    33% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

wolfsbane wrote: »
    Jester has a poll for Catholics that reminded me how often I would have liked to know the same from Protestants. For the purposes of this poll, Protestant means those who regularly attend a Protestant church service. They need not be converted persons. I'm more interested here in what is being preached than in the state of the hearer. Thanks.

By 'Protestant' I take you to mean not Catholic and not Orthodox?

I answered 'rarely'.

Hell is mentioned in passing because by and large, the congregation are Christians and the view would be that sermons are for the fortifying of Christians in their walk, not outreach opportunities to those who might happen not to be Christians. That said, there are occasional sermons which would be heavily weighed towards the unbeliever - in case there are some in the congregation who aren't yet believers.

Specific sin wouldn't be preached on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I'm not a Protestant but I'll throw my 2 pence in anyway.

Like AS, I also selected rarely because I can't for the life of me remember the last time I heard a fire and brimstone sermon. Perhaps hell or immorality was introduced but never as a central component to the sermon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Jester Minute

As a Catholic, I can't vote on this poll. Just so you know.:cool:

But I must say, it was only when I read a fire and brimstone sermon that I changed my ways. It was a sermon on the little number of those who are saved, by the Franciscan Saint Leonard of Port Maurice.

I'd heard a lot about the love of God up to that point, but to a sinner entrenched in sin, that is not much use. Sometimes a good kick in the mouth is in order, spiritually speaking of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I clicked no, because I have never heard one preached at any church service I have attended.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭SonOfAdam

As a Catholic, I can't vote on this poll. Just so you know.cool.gif

.... Well you started it:confused:

I voted 'rarely'. Thankfully I seldom hear a sermon where a particular sin is singled out for condemnation - for those that partake in this activity it generally comes back to bite them and very publicly - There are respectable sins (as Jerry Bridges put it) and not so respectable 'though I don't think God makes the same distinction the way we are inclined to -
    It really is a case of 'there but for the grace of God' so we had better be careful lest we expose our own nakedness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Jester Minute

SonOfAdam wrote: »

I voted 'rarely'. Thankfully I seldom hear a sermon where a particular sin is singled out for condemnation - for those that partake in this activity it generally comes back to bite them and very publicly - There are respectable sins (as Jerry Bridges put it) and not so respectable 'though I don't think God makes the same distinction the way we are inclined to -
    It really is a case of 'there but for the grace of God' so we had better be careful lest we expose our own nakedness.

The sunglasses smilie was there to indicate that I was really stating the obvious, but taking the liberty of posting in the thread for the purposes of contribution to any discussion. :mad:*

* I'm not really mad. I'm just using an inappropriate smilie.:confused:*

I'm not really confused. I'm just using an inappropriate smilie.:eek:*

*I'll stop now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

By 'Protestant' I take you to mean not Catholic and not Orthodox?

I answered 'rarely'.

Hell is mentioned in passing because by and large, the congregation are Christians and the view would be that sermons are for the fortifying of Christians in their walk, not outreach opportunities to those who might happen not to be Christians. That said, there are occasional sermons which would be heavily weighed towards the unbeliever - in case there are some in the congregation who aren't yet believers.

Specific sin wouldn't be preached on.
    Yes, sorry I was not clear on what constituted 'Protestant' for the poll. Any of the historic Protestant churches, plus Baptists, Brethren, Pentecostals, Quakers and any other church holding to the basics of Christianity. That would exclude the cults - JWs, Mormons, etc.

Would it not be necessary for believers to have hell mentioned more than rarely as a spur to evangelism? Our lost friends are not going out into oblivion.

The sunglasses smilie was there to indicate that I was really stating the obvious, but taking the liberty of posting in the thread for the purposes of contribution to any discussion. :mad:*

* I'm not really mad. I'm just using an inappropriate smilie.:confused:*

I'm not really confused. I'm just using an inappropriate smilie.:eek:*

*I'll stop now.
    Emote all you like, my friend. :)

SonOfAdam wrote: »

Sadly, from my experience, particular sins are being condoned, if just by ignoring them. Whatever is the one going on in the church at the time, that is the one to start with. Then we can get on to warn about the deceitfulness of other sins.

Mature Christians need to warn the newer ones that our new life in Christ is not a stroll through the meadow, but through a battlefield. The ground may be very pleasant most of the time, but ambushes are laid. We need to warn, for example, how an innocent friendship between a man and woman can develop into romance. OK if they are single and looking for a spouse. But tragic if one or both are married.

I'm not a Protestant but I'll throw my 2 pence in anyway.

Like AS, I also selected rarely because I can't for the life of me remember the last time I heard a fire and brimstone sermon. Perhaps hell or immorality was introduced but never as a central component to the sermon.
    Thanks. I'm not thinking about a sermon devoted to the subject of hell, just one that makes it clear there is a hell and how easy it is to get there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement