Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derek Davis on 4FM

• 21-11-2010 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭

Did anyone hear his show this morning? I listen to the first hour between 10-11 most Sundays and find it quite good.

Anyway today was the usual paper review and 3 person panel discussion as per normal, Paddy Prendeville from Phoenix magazine, the obligatory financial 'expert' (Gillan, I think his name is) and........Amanda Brunker! I was tempted to switch over but was interested to hear what the other two guests had to say about the momentous events of the week.

The discussion was all about the economy/IMF/the government repsonse etc. as you would expect, but Brunkers limited attempts to join in (even she realised she was waaay out of her depth, even asking Derek to change the subject) were car crash stuff. In a nutshell, it was, "basically, you know loike, we should all be bigging up the country, you know" and her analysis of the very serious issue of the high suicide rates was to draw an analogy with the Chilean miners, finding their way out of a dark hole.:eek: You could almost hear the others squirm in their seats.

Now I don't expect anything but irritating, vacous, self publicity from Amanda Brunker but this was particularly bad and given current events, I thought that 4FM's Sunday panel show could have at least found someone with a basic grasp of current affairs....they only have to find 3 people for the panel.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I always found Davis to be a very fair and balanced presenter.
    Brunker is a professional pair of tits,thats all there is. So many qualified people in the country and they bring her on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Poly wrote: »
    Brunker is a professional pair of tits,thats all there is. So many qualified people in the country and they bring her on?

And there she is again on the All Ireland Talent Show... If there was an award for most air time with the littlest talent, she would definitely be up there...

It's actually a bit insulting for the people auditioning that she is gonna be judging imo ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I didn't realise Derek Davis was doing a discussion show on 4FM. I'll have to listen at some stage, I always found him to be balanced and fair when in RTE, and I always felt he was an underutilised resource.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

hey you better be fast its hes last show today. bit of a shock i like hes show on a sunday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

vince wrote: »
    hey you better be fast its hes last show today. bit of a shock i like hes show on a sunday morning.

I've only heard bits and pieces this morning and heard a reference to that. What a pity, he's very good.....seems like 4FM are intent on getting rid of all their best shows and presenters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

New format from January. Davis and Mc Guirk both finishing up apparently.

They would be more suited to Newstalk and if I was running Newstalk I wouldn't waste much time especially regarding Mr Davis. A true Professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

According the Sunday Times they are being re-formatted as easy listening or somesuch
    I trust the BCI (?) will revoke their licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

mike65 wrote: »
    I trust the BCI (?) will revoke their licence.

I have some magic beans. Perhaps you'd like to buy them :D

Business as usual. Promise whatever you need to promise to get the license. Start the station. Wait. Apply to change to easy listening, citing "Jobs will be lost if we don't". Are you watching Radio Nova (of course you are, you're going to be sharing your digs soon)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

a joke of a licence and a joke of a buisness plan. No doubt they will cite the ad revenue downturn but 4FM was never a fit for any market - geographic or demographic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Cole wrote: »
    Did anyone hear his show this morning? I listen to the first hour between 10-11 most Sundays and find it quite good.

Anyway today was the usual paper review and 3 person panel discussion as per normal, Paddy Prendeville from Phoenix magazine, the obligatory financial 'expert' (Gillan, I think his name is) and........Amanda Brunker! I was tempted to switch over but was interested to hear what the other two guests had to say about the momentous events of the week.

The discussion was all about the economy/IMF/the government repsonse etc. as you would expect, but Brunkers limited attempts to join in (even she realised she was waaay out of her depth, even asking Derek to change the subject) were car crash stuff. In a nutshell, it was, "basically, you know loike, we should all be bigging up the country, you know" and her analysis of the very serious issue of the high suicide rates was to draw an analogy with the Chilean miners, finding their way out of a dark hole.:eek: You could almost hear the others squirm in their seats.

Now I don't expect anything but irritating, vacous, self publicity from Amanda Brunker but this was particularly bad and given current events, I thought that 4FM's Sunday panel show could have at least found someone with a basic grasp of current affairs....they only have to find 3 people for the panel.

I had the displeasure of giving this station a go (albeit on line given the fact most of the country can't receive it). Turns out Gerald Kean was sitting in for Derek Davis and low and behold Messer Kean dedicated half his show to the self promoting Bimbo Brunker. Jesus it was awful stuff, this was my first and certainly last tuning in to this station.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Derek Davis should now go off and set up his own station, and in light of the recent trend back to old pirate names eg Nova, Sunshine, Q102..he ought to call his new station, something appropriate to the man himself, may I suggest....BIG D ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Hmmm..... seems old RTE stars don't die, they just fade away.

Looks like Davis and Gerry Barry inhabiting 4fm... hmmm

Is poor Brendan there? Val?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I had the displeasure of giving this station a go (albeit on line given the fact most of the country can't receive it). Turns out Gerald Kean was sitting in for Derek Davis and low and behold Messer Kean dedicated half his show to the self promoting Bimbo Brunker. Jesus it was awful stuff, this was my first and certainly last tuning in to this station.

4fm are not doing anything the rest haven't at least tried. Remember original commitments from Phantom, Radio Ireland and TodayFm. A big problem for 4 were the likes of Davis or McGuirk- you loved or hated them. As for Kean standing in, Bay - hang your heads in shame . Its not as if ye didn't come across e talent in Choice and The Rock. Read my lips "celebs do not generally make good broadcasters".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Hmmm..... seems old RTE stars don't die, they just fade away.

Looks like Davis and Gerry Barry inhabiting 4fm... hmmm

Is poor Brendan there? Val?

It would be Val's Choice while Brendan's Baffled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Seems to me 4FM is a little aid, at taxpayers expense, to top up the pensions of ' the lads and lassies' out in the Empire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

@FlutterinBantam... How exactly is 4fm "at taxpayers expense" ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Kunle

Bard wrote: »
    @FlutterinBantam... How exactly is 4fm "at taxpayers expense" ???

I think he must mean that people can retire early from RTE on a big pension and go off to 4fm and earn more money.

Advertisement