Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoire Harbour parking charges

Options
  • 21-11-2010 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Word of warning that there is now a minumum charge to park in harbour area of 2 euro. :eek:

This allows you an hour but machine will not take lesser amount for lesser time. I intended walking the pier today but abandoned plans as rain started so decided to dash over road and get nice latter.... But my collection of goldie small coins no good :mad: No I was not prepared to pay 2 euro extra for a cuppa.

It is not clearly signed either, got info from parking warden patrolling in the rain early this morning.

Speaking to someone today and they said same applied to town parking as well. If on short errand, 30 minutes should be plenty time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

plenty of free parking around on sundays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I meant to ask this.

When did extend the parking hours(It's til 9pm now right?) and extend the days(Sundays used to be free)?

It's an absolute disgrace, do they want people not to use the Pier as an amenity after they spent all the money refurbishing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Parking charges in Dun Laoghaire harbour area are mad - they are cutting off their nose to spite their face. Its far too expensive @ 2 euro an hour and the 24/7 coverage is crazy. I've already noticed fewer people parking - they are killing the golden goose. Can't believe that retailers aren't up in arms about it.

I reckon we are paying for the many DRHarbour vans circling around with at least 2 guys in them not to mention the fancy headquarters......real Celtic Tiger thinking - get with it lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

There have been parking charges 7 days a week for some time now (years?) I think it is up to 8pm and includes Sunday. The recent change is the imposition of a minimum 2 euro. I used to be in the habit of putting all my loose change into the meter... prob more than two euro in the end and noting how much time I could enjoy. I would rather take a chance on short errand and pay nothing . Or go back to my old custom of parking at Seapoint (free on Sunday or was when last I looked) and walk along the front to the West pier.

I'm sure it was only up until Saturday at least last summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The hours have always been longer than elsewhere, are they now longer again?
    They've always been expensive too.

Why? Because they know they can, simple as. Between walking the pier, the yacht clubs and people just parking in DL its frequently full.

Car Park behind the west pier is much much cheaper and has much shorter hours. Also it's generally guarded by some nice old man.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

I didn't see the sign at all and parked my car not paying as it was Sunday, luckily didn't get clamped! But it is getting harder and harder to get parking around there on Sunday. Near the 7 bus stop there is some parallel parking but sooo akward to park and no spaces on Sunday around 11 onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

ted1 wrote: »
    plenty of free parking around on Sundays.
    If Dunlaoghaire County Council had any sense they would charge on Sundays.

The high flow of strollers would be enough to employ several wardens on overtime. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Can't believe that retailers aren't up in arms about it.

Sure there aren't that many retailers left in DL... so many empty shops in the main street now :-(

If it weren't for the fact that I work there and my employer subsidises harbour parking for us, I'd never bother going to DL. The parking situation is insane.

Didn't the shopping centre have a special parking deal on recently, I could be wrong. :-/

The high flow of strollers would be enough to employ several wardens on overtime. :p
    Yes, what Dun Laoghaire needs is less people. Definitely.

• Advertisement

if they had any sense they cut charges in half.

they already have an army of wombles enforcing parking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

if they had any sense they cut charges in half.

they already have an army of wombles enforcing parking

I parked in Glasthule a few weeks ago and as i was walking back to my car from the ticket machine, the warden was checking my number plate.

I lost it with him and another driver backed me up so he backed down, but talk about over zealous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Sure there aren't that many retailers left in DL... so many empty shops in the main street now :-(

If it weren't for the fact that I work there and my employer subsidises harbour parking for us, I'd never bother going to DL. The parking situation is insane.

Didn't the shopping centre have a special parking deal on recently, I could be wrong. :-/

Whenever i go to Dun laoghaire, i know where im going and what i want! Fifty cent in the meter and im back in a flash.

The problem with this is i dont window shop anymore, bad for business.

Back to my original point that there is new minimum charge of 2 euro in harbour area. What with the recession and cuts everywhere, they should be thinking of cutting busfares and parking charges to get people out shopping and spending, even if only on a Saturday/Sunday.

I parked in Glasthule a few weeks ago and as i was walking back to my car from the ticket machine, the warden was checking my number plate.

I lost it with him and another driver backed me up so he backed down, but talk about over zealous!!

You have 15 minutes to get change and to find a parking meter, the wardens take your number down and the time, and then if you still have no pay and display when they come back in 15 minutes, then you get a ticket. That's probably he was doing - and if not - he was totally in the wrong.

The parking fees are very high in DL but for those interested, the shopping centre have three hours for €2 at the moment but be warned if jumps back to the full price if you go even a minute over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You have 15 minutes to get change and to find a parking meter, the wardens take your number down and the time, and then if you still have no pay and display when they come back in 15 minutes, then you get a ticket. That's probably he was doing - and if not - he was totally in the wrong.

The parking fees are very high in DL but for those interested, the shopping centre have three hours for €2 at the moment but be warned if jumps back to the full price if you go even a minute over!

That's the last time I pay in Glasthule then, I'm never there more than 15 minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Back to my original point that there is new minimum charge of 2 euro in harbour area. What with the recession and cuts everywhere, they should be thinking of cutting busfares and parking charges to get people out shopping and spending, even if only on a Saturday/Sunday.

People might be confused on this.

The free parking on Sunday ( or Saturday?) applies to DLRD co council.

The harbour is NOT under the Juristiction of the council but of the harbour authority.
    http://www.dlharbour.ie/content/notices/public_notice_parking_jan_2010.php
    for free parking park one street up from the Harbour.

Thanks for that, I suppose I assumed they would liase with Dun Laoire authorities and also given the popularity of weekend shopping.

It is a habit of a lifetime, sweeping down to the sea picking up the view of the sea at Seapoint, ease of parking and then off down pier with buggy/kids or elderly.

I am not too keen on wriggling about back streets looking for a space then getting twice over roads on foot to get to/fro pier. They have obviously done their research and rechon people will pay to park there.

supposition but:

they know they can charge higher rates and for longer due to the presence of the yacht clubs, whose members in general will be the more well off and more willing to pay for the convenience of closer parking.

Its a pity because the piers are such a amenity but the company obviously think people are willing to pay to park closer to their walk rather than walk to the start of the walk and get a little bit more walk in :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Actually the club members get a concessionary rate as they are frequent customers.

• Advertisement

I parked at the boylan centre today after 5pm and three wardens were telling a girl that she didn't have to pay after 5, said there was a sign confirming this on the machines. I think it's a Christmas thing! Just FYI.

Advertisement