Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

extra french credit for teaching council recognition

• 21-11-2010 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭

anybody have any ideas for finding french courses for credit. Just need 1 or 2 modules but having trouble finding anywhere to do it. UCD's evening degree programme might offer it next year - but they'll only be able to tell me if french is available after I've applied through CAO - grrr.
    other subjects are easy enough to find distance - but languages not so much. Open University does french but the degree isn't recognised by the TC - I mostly need literature so it's not really suitable.
    Anyone here ever had to top up a language?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭EoghanRua

I can't answer your question directly but would certainly advise not relying on the UCD evening degree as that's dying on its feet. There are some subjects in it at this stage where you have to take modules during the day as well which defeats the purpose of an evening degree. That strikes me as a precursor to withdrawing it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Maire K

I am in the same boat with the teaching council and french literature modules. I'm wondering if you succeeded in finding a course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Printer

So there are others out there...

I'm in same boat and spent months and months going over my degree with the teaching council. They have finally recognised my Spanish but say I am 20 ECTS short in French.

I'm looking to do the MA in French Language and Culture by distance in Kings College London. Im waiting for the teaching council to get back to me as to whether this will suffice their ridiculous requirements for literature modules.

Let me know if they ok this for you. I also have to complete 20 ECTS and am exasperated trying to find courses that they will recognise.

It looks like I have provisional thumbs up from the Teaching Council for two of the modules which would make up the 20ECTS I need from that Masters in Kings College London.

• Advertisement

Congrats thats good news. Are you going to complete the entire Masters or will they allow you to just sit the necessary modules?

Argh I can't believe this...

I was going to do the full Masters over 2 years part time but now it appears KCL is only running this part time masters for the last time this year so I have to either do it all in one year (full time study which I can't do or afford) or not do it at all.

Im so disappointed, I was really looking forward to it too.

Maybe try to just do the modules that will suffice for recognition, if its possible to do them by distance. Can you let me know the name of the modules that the teaching council gave the go ahead for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭roe_cat

hi - Printer - anything further on doing individual modules? I need 10 ECTS in literature so would be great if it was possible. Hope it works out for you!

I currently have my literature content under reveiw with the teaching council. You can do 'occasional modules' in NUI Maynooth. Contact admissions in Maynooth. I'm looking into doing some modules there after christmas depending on my review. They are only during the day but you could be lucky and get a few together in a morning etc..

• Advertisement

Hey - anything new on this? Maire K - have you looked any more into Maynooth?
    I've emailed King's College but haven't heard anything back about their distance course

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭theyearof2010

Hey guys,

Mind me asking what primary degrees you have? I was told that the language component of my course wasn't recognised - lack of literature..

I had heard through someone that you can take extra modules and get accredited but didn't realise there was much truth in it.

Hi Roe Cat and theyearof2010,

I've just applied to sit occassional modules in French literature in the second semester in NUI Maynooth totally the 15 ECTS I need. The teaching council have given them the go ahead so I'm just waiting to hear from Maynooth. It means I need to take a day and a half off work a week though.
    Originally the Teaching Council wanted me to sit 60 ECTS in French literature. After much to'ing and fro'ing I've gotten them down to 15 ECTS. I'd recommend theyearof2010 to examine the courses from your Uni that are recognised and compare them against the modules in your own course to see where the shortfalls are (if any) and then outline these to the Teaching Council.

Best of luck,
    Maire K

My degree was European Studies - French was my minor language and i've a shortfall of 10 credits in French literature to make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭theyearof2010

Must check that out!! Thanks alot guys. Bet I dodged all the ones I'll need :D

Im currently doing 2 modules as part of the MA in French Culture and Language by Distance with Kings College London.

I needed to make up 20ECTS but I am going to do two modules anyway as I think I may well undertake an MA in French later so i can use these for APL regardless.

It is a serious amount of work though, loads to do and to hand in every week. I am only doing one module until after Christmas but I am easily spending 15-20 hours per week on that module between the learning content and the essays.

My degree was International Business with French and Spanish (French was the Minor) in DCU.

I've been in touch with King's College - the're not accepting any new applications - even just on a module by module basis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

If you are available during the day, you could make up the shortfall by taking individual modules as an 'occasional student'.

I know you can do this in NUIM, i'm sure other colleges do this too.

My degree was European Business with French in DCU, forgot to post the name previously..

Advertisement