Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Education in DIT

Options
  • 21-11-2010 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

currently looking around for music education courses in dublin. Is the music programme here any use? Any feedback on the course for B.Ed in music would be really great :)

Emma
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dublin_Bud

Hey, I'm on the BMus course, so dnt know much about its course content, but I do know tht the BMusEd course is split between DIT in Rathmines and Trinity and you need to get through the Trinity entrance exam to get onto the course. I think the practical, composition and aural aspects of the course are in Rathmines and the rest of the course (history, actual teaching and theory) is at Trinity.

Rathmines is a tiny wee campus and everyone knows everyone which is cool and the lecturers are decent for the most part (with a few wierdos, of course)

If ye have any other questions, gies a shout!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

I'm in Music Education, 2nd year. And yeh the above poster is right, it is split between rathmines and the academy. I'm up in Rathmines but the vurrent 1st years are in the academy. The majority of my lectures take place in rathmines with a few taking place in Trinity college.

Its a busy enough course as it covers a lot of the practical aspects of music, as well as music theory and then a lot of focus on education, as it's an education course at the end of the day.

Only about 10 in each year, so the benefits of having a small group are there, but with the downside of never really felling like part of Trinity college as you don't get a lot of time to mingle about there. Lectures are good though, really nice vibe in rathmines, and you get lessons in your first study instrument.

There is a practical exam at some stage (can't remember), and I'm not sure what the points were this years just gone, but it was about 465 for me.

If you have any other questions then give me a PM or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dublin_Bud

Dr Gradus wrote: »
    I'm in Music Education, 2nd year. And yeh the above poster is right, it is split between rathmines and the academy. I'm up in Rathmines but the vurrent 1st years are in the academy. The majority of my lectures take place in rathmines with a few taking place in Trinity college.

Its a busy enough course as it covers a lot of the practical aspects of music, as well as music theory and then a lot of focus on education, as it's an education course at the end of the day.

Only about 10 in each year, so the benefits of having a small group are there, but with the downside of never really felling like part of Trinity college as you don't get a lot of time to mingle about there. Lectures are good though, really nice vibe in rathmines, and you get lessons in your first study instrument.

There is a practical exam at some stage (can't remember), and I'm not sure what the points were this years just gone, but it was about 465 for me.

If you have any other questions then give me a PM or something!

Out of curiosity, do you feel like you are more part of DIT or Trinity??

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ILoveParamore

Thank you both for the replies,both helped.

The entrance test has me a bit freaked like, i don't have the best ear and the aural is gonna worry me.
    what was the entrance test like for you both?

also i taught myself both piano and guitar so i have never done grades,will this be a problem for getting in or during the performace parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

To be honest I feel more part of DIT, as I spend more of my time in Rathmines. However, despite the fact that I'd like to have more lectures and that on Trinity campus, the facilities in Rathmines are pretty great.

The entrance test was alright, nice bunch of examiners.

Think its two contrasting pieces, around grade 6 level or so would be to aim for but I'd try it regardless, who's gonna know!?

Do you mean the Aural part of the entrance test (can't remember that), or the course in general. You'll get by on the course, Aural awareness starts at a base level for everyone.

Don't think there's any written rule that you have to have a certain amount of grades done....... Hmm....Might have to check the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 ILoveParamore

yeah the entrance test like, its cool tho if you can't remember.

Yeah i've been told they look for grade six :( DIT seems really good, just the points are quite high like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dit guitar society

the place has good music societies,
    sure give them a few paramore tunes

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MusicEd_

Hello, im sitting my leaving cert this year but was wondering would you know what the least amount of points you can get for MusEd in Trinity and how much the audition and test are worth?

Advertisement