Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back Boiler for water heating -worth it? (We have solar panels.)

• 21-11-2010 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi, We're looking at getting a multi-burning stove for our new build. We already have solar panels. We were going to get a back boiler on the stove to supplement the solars (for hot water only) but the more research I do the more I'm hearing that a back-boiler is a really inefficient use of a stove, considering the panels should be heating most of the water. So, I'm thinking of getting the stove for space heating only. What do you think?
    If we don't go with the back-boiler, what do people use for supplementing the solar?
    Thanks as always.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

Hi, We're looking at getting a multi-burning stove for our new build. We already have solar panels. We were going to get a back boiler on the stove to supplement the solars (for hot water only) but the more research I do the more I'm hearing that a back-boiler is a really inefficient use of a stove, considering the panels should be heating most of the water. So, I'm thinking of getting the stove for space heating only. What do you think?
    If we don't go with the back-boiler, what do people use for supplementing the solar?
    Thanks as always.

Are you still building and in the design/construction period of the New Build.
    Or has the solar and other associated heating plumbing system been completed.

Couple of questions/issues.

Have you installed the hot water cylinder yet.?
    You need an open vented cylinder, a pressurised cylinder is no good.
    Has the cylinder enough coils for all the heat sources i.e. 3 coiles: solid, solar and oil/gas.

The main heating source must be open vented.

You need to make provision for the stove flow/ return return pipework.
    Flow has to rise all the way to the cylinder and return has to correctly run to ensure gravity flow.
    Carefull consideration of location of hot press/ cylinder and height is essential.
    Additional pumps and controls need to be planed,

Re back boiler or stand alone:
    I would always recommend back boiler type. You get localised heating and at leasrt you are recovering some of heat that would be going up the chimney back into the heating system.
    Once installed minimum maintenance required and relatively easy to use.

Re supplementing solar:
    No real option other than utilising you primary heat source or the electic immersion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭L driver

ntpm,
    what is your opinion of a post heater on the hot water line after the cylinder instead of the immersion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

L driver wrote: »
    ntpm,
    what is your opinion of a post heater on the hot water line after the cylinder instead of the immersion?

TBO. I have no experience with installing one nor have I come across one.

I am relucant to comment too much however as they are not commonly used I would question how efficient and effective they are?:confused:

Also, I am of the opinion that if the primary heating source is configured and controlled/zoned properly for hot water only, you have (or are) outlayed a large amount of capital and labour costsalready , so why introduce additional cost with more pieces of equipment.

ADDITIONAL COMMENT:
    Retro-fitting an add on heatexchanger/ heater may be more cost effective than trying to alter existing system.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭selfbuildache

Are you still building and in the design/construction period of the New Build.
    Or has the solar and other associated heating plumbing system been completed.
    Solar and 1st fix plumbing are in.
    Have you installed the hot water cylinder yet.?
    Yes
    You need an open vented cylinder, a pressurised cylinder is no good.
    We have an expansion tank for the cylinder. Is that what you mean?
    Has the cylinder enough coils for all the heat sources i.e. 3 coiles: solid, solar and oil/gas.
    Yes
    You need to make provision for the stove flow/ return return pipework.
    Flow has to rise all the way to the cylinder and return has to correctly run to ensure gravity flow.
    Done
    Additional pumps and controls need to be planed.
    There's a circulation pump alright and controls for the solar. Is this what you mean??:confused:

Thanks for the rest of your advice!

I'd really appreciate other (or same) opinions on this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 aquajoe

would not use it just to heat hot water....
    have you rads if so i would install it

• Advertisement
Advertisement